iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

???How much to charge for live edge live oak and cedar????

Started by caveman, September 21, 2013, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

JMoore and I had a visitor today who owns a retail lumber store and he was interested in buying some live edge 2" and 3"x as wide as possible x 10' live oak, southern red cedar and possibly some other stuff.  I just do not know what would be a fair price to ask.  I know I will not get nearly as much as Poston got for his oak several weeks ago.  We want to be fair and hopefully sell it at a price where he will want to buy quite a bit and still make it worth our effort.  The slabs will be kept in order for book matching.  We were thinking of $1.50 a board foot for the oak and $2.00 for the cedar.  Does this sound reasonable?
Thank you,
Caveman
Caveman

drobertson

Measure the small end and wide end, take the avg. calculate the bdft, and charge what you need. this is a product that has value, as easy as it is, you have the means, they don't, a buck a bdft is fair, it's worth tons more when finished.  a touchy feely kinda thing,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Pricing Live Edge slabs has a lot to do with:
1. The width.....is the width tapered or keep a consistent width.
2. Has the Live Edge been damaged.....at all. Damaged live edge will lower the price.
3. Will the edge have the bark on it or not.
4. The sawyer can also square and sand the edges of each end of a slab and get more for it also.
5. The market where you are located plus competition from other slab sellers will also affect your pricing.

The slabs I sold for $300.00 each will be for Bar Tops in a restaurant. The grain and other factors had a lot to do with the cost.

All my slabs 16 inches wide and wider, 2 - 3 inches thick,  start at $100.00 and go up depending on all these factors.

I use board footage for lumber only. Slabs are a unique product grown by nature and IMO should be priced according to your market.
Slabs and lumber are 2 different markets. Don't mix them.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Yes, your figures are good, lots of value with this product.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jim_Rogers

If both edges are live edges I believe the industry standard is to measure the entire length of the slab. Divide it by 1/3 and measure this distance from the narrow end of the slab. At that point measure the narrow face of the slab. That width is the width you use to figure bdft if selling by the bdft.

So for example if a slab was 8' 6" long that's 102 inches divided by 3 = 34" at the 34" point from the narrow end on the narrow face it measures 22" wide then that would be the width to use. 2" thick x22" wide x 8' long would be 29.33 bdft. X price per bdft = selling price.

I guess they figure the extra width on the wide end off sets the narrower width on the other end of the slab.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawmillhand

I always round to a even number. lets say its 2 inches thick and 9 wide  if you can get a 2x8 out of it thats all i charge for is clean lumber,and by the bd foot ,but thats just me.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Keystone31

Quote from: sawmillhand on September 21, 2013, 08:40:24 PM
I always round to a even number. lets say its 2 inches thick and 9 wide  if you can get a 2x8 out of it thats all i charge for is clean lumber,and by the bd foot ,but thats just me.
It sounds strange, but you actually get more leaving it on. So you get paid more for doing less.  ::)
Kubota LM3800, '64 Workmaster 601, Norwood LM2000, Stihl MS270.

woodweasel

I've only sold a couple erc slabs for a $100 each.2"x8' . The guy finished with poly. Set them on cheap Walmart metal frame , now in his shop  asking $1000! He won't get them from me f ::)or less than$200 each, next time

mmartone

I can tell you I sold 2 mantles to a local builder a few weeks ago, pine live edge, bumpy with limbs. Both were 4" thick one was 50 something and the other 70 something. I also cut some 2 corbels for each also live edge. I charged a little over $800 and they were thrilled. The builders wife came to my place, and we cut them while she was there, as she wanted them. Dont under sell your product that can only come from a saw mill and customer cut to order.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: woodweasel on September 21, 2013, 09:08:02 PM
I've only sold a couple erc slabs for a $100 each.2"x8' . The guy finished with poly. Set them on cheap Walmart metal frame , now in his shop  asking $1000! He won't get them from me f ::)or less than$200 each, next time

Are they sold?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GAmillworker

Live edge slabs that are dry and ready to use that are 20" wide or more will sell for $8. bdft  However you need to display and get them in front of paying customers.  Which is what the guy buying them from you is doing.  So for you selling to him at $4. bdft it is good for both of you I would think.  I try to keep the best slabs for making tables that I am able to sell for $1,800 -$2,500.  I sell the rest as I told you for $4. bdft.  Many of you may know of Graf brothers in Kentucky.  Go look at what they are selling and what they are getting.  I believe they take there lower grade logs that will not make good lumber and cut them for slabs.  They then charge more for the slabs per bdft than the highest grade lumber they sell.
Thank the Lord for second chances

caveman

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I guess it is a lot easier to lower a price than to raise it.
Caveman
Caveman

LeeB

Be aware that live oak can be a booger to dry. Warps and checks easily and is harder than rock once dry. Make sure your customers know that. If you are selling dried stock, price that in to the equation.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

redbeard

The live edge slabs that bring the best price are the two that are on each side of the center (pith). They yield the closest to the 90° edge. 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Seaman

I agree that you are under pricing. In my circle slabs fun around $7 BF, then add on for figure, rarity, etc.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

caveman

I called the guy today and told him we would mill our logs to his specifications for $1 more per board foot than we originally posted on the forum.  For this, we will end seal, sticker, and deliver to his business.  I told him our price was lower than what most of you suggested and that I would like for him to eventually purchase a good amount from us and everybody make money.  We will keep you posted.
Caveman
Caveman

Leigh Family Farm

Good luck and I hope it works out for both parties involved. Maybe ask him what he plans on doing with the slabs so that you can better serve him (i.e. bark on or off? squared ends? ). I would htink it would be easier for you to do these simple things and charge another $1 to get it done.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

caveman

The fellow plans to air dry them in his shop/warehouse and eventually sell them to high end customers to build live edged tables, desks or counters.  He has not called me back since I suggested a price on Monday.  We intended to deliver them sticker stacked in the order they came out of the log, ends sealed and sprayed all over with solubor (sp).  I think that most of the bark would eventually come off of the oak as it dried and the cedar would have to be peeled, sanded or taken off with a draw knife or something. 
Caveman

Daburner87

Are you guys are pricing them dry, or fresh cut off the mill?
HM130Max Woodlander XL

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!