iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any custom sawyers in Ft Myers FL area?

Started by SawyerBrown, January 09, 2014, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Maybe this should go in the "Wanted" section, but I'll let somebody correct me ...

Got a friend with a place in Ft Myers, FL area, some oaks have to come down and he's looking for a custom sawyer.  (He asked me to pull my mill down but that's a long haul!!).  Do we have anybody that fits that description?  Not seeing much when I look at the member map ...

Thanks.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Nomad

I could do this job, but it's a long haul for me.  There are several sawyers much closer than I am; some will likely see this.  I hope so!  The mileage charges would be a bear for the customer.  Nevermind if it was more than a one day job!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

SawyerBrown

Thanks nomad.  I found a guy up in Lake Wales (about 30 miles S of Orlando) on the WM ProSawyer site, talked to him tonight he might be interested.  I'll wait and see if anybody else on FF is interested.

Interesting guy, nice discussion with him.  He said there aren't many sawmills down his way (or in FL in general), but not much business either.  Don't they have any trees down there?   :)
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Mooseherder

Not many in my area.  All the wetlands with Cypress are protected it seems.
Other than that beautiful yard trees and ornamentals.  Palm Trees and invasive species abound.
You do see an occasional Log Truck if there is development going on if it is a big job, just not very often.
I think the northern half of the State has much nicer wood and Paper products species have an industry there.

ellmoe

Quote from: SawyerBrown on January 09, 2014, 08:59:07 PM

He said there aren't many sawmills down his way (or in FL in general), but not much business either.  Don't they have any trees down there?   :)

We exist, but the herd was thinned when the water management districts bought up most of the good swamps in Florida (cypress was the small mills bread and butter ). Then when the economy tanked, more mills went under. I downed sized to 10% to survive and had to completely change my operation. It is not a "mill friendly" state.  :D
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

swampbuggy

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

swampbuggy

And as far as trees...This week I milled Slash Pine, elephant Ear ( Guanacaste ), African Tulip, Live Oak, Laurel Oak, Ficus Aurea Tree (Florida strangler fig ), Eucalyptus ( both red and white) and Java Plum. I can find something to make a board out of!  In the yard I have some Norfolk Island Pine and a Melaleuca if I get bored. I need to have a slabber at least 5 ft. to keep me out of the bars at night! Dan
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

crosscut

St. Cloud  Disney area here sure there are closer but if he can get them here I have the equipment to handle them be glad to help him out.

Sixacresand

Sounds like an opportunity for a family Florida vacation for someone.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

crosscut

Six I'm heading your way for my vacation in a couple of hours deer season ends the 15 th I've got a place in stewart county ga

Sixacresand

Quote from: crosscut on January 11, 2014, 08:06:29 AM
Six I'm heading your way for my vacation in a couple of hours deer season ends the 15 th I've got a place in stewart county ga
Good luck, crosscut.  Hope you get that trophy rack and/or fill up your freezer. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!