iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill shelter

Started by Alcranb, February 16, 2014, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

It sounds like you want and need a shed for mill #1,  and if possible the tractor #2, then a little storage for boards, which is kinda necessary, specially when sawing on rainy days.  Shed I decided on has a pull thru design with 14' sliding doors, one log deck hole 20' and one additional 12 side slider.  I wish I had put sky light roofing in a few spots to aid in low light conditions.  Prevailing winds are important as to how you plan your doors,  and access to power, as to keep cost to a minimum.  A few pics of mine,  not sure if I would change anything, but keeping slabs close is a handy option for quick removal with minimal steps and easy access with the loader.

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

36 coupe

Quote from: thecfarm on March 02, 2014, 07:54:36 AM
36 coupe,I see you have a Thomas. Did yours come with the transport hardware? I did not get the axle kit,but do have the hold downs. I just put one of the hold downs on one side of the track and put the nut finger tight. One bolt never come out of the new pieces of metal. This had kept mine head in place for 10 years.
I have the transport hardware.The shelter makes a place to keep my cant hooks and tiller and lawn mower when I am not using the mill.The tax assessors ignore the small building .I bought 4 treated 4x6 posts at 15.oo each..

gholbrook

I built my shed 46 ft x 72 to keep my mill and tractors in. Has sliding doors on front and west side to keep weather off of mill and us when sawing. Got lights put in so i could work at night and dust collector put in. 

2010 LT 40 with homemade hydraulics and loader. 5205 John Deere with FEL. Wrangler 5000 articulating  rubber tired loader.

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I knew I was a little "sick" but I think by hanging around here my "sickness" is progressing.......I got to dreaming last night about building a mill shed/storage barn for a mill that I don't own and is still a few years away  :D

Do any of you guys with dirt floors for the mill shed ever wish you had a concrete floor?  I like what Ohio-Bill has but I would probably want to go a little bigger for myself and want to have sliding doors on 3 sides so that I can close it up from the weather and prying eyes/slick hands and that is more like the shed that Drobertson has.  Going bigger and a concrete floor obviously is more expensive.  Is a concrete floor worthwhile in a mill shed?   

What do you guys think?  In my dream I had put down some stall mats on top of the concrete in strategic places to soften the surface for the joints.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Kingcha

Jason I don't have many hours in on my mill but I do not mind having a dirt floor, it is softer to walk on.   My mill is under a lean-to attached to a pole barn.   The only thing I wish is that I had enough room to get my tractor in between the mill and the building to make it easier to remove saw dust.   I guess it just mean I get more exercise manually shoveling saw dust.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Magicman

Those are some mighty fine shelters.  Curiosity makes me wonder why white or galvalume is not used more often?  I would think that it would be cooler??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

If I put any concrete in my pole barn it will only be under the mill. This way I can still walk on dirt. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

Wireless remote control. No walking on dirt or concrete. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

With my remote mill I hurt worse than my mill I walk with.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!