iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oh dear!

Started by etat, July 05, 2004, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

:D  Guess I shoulda said OLD DEERE! ;D

Last Fall the old JD 3020 started making a racket from the bottom end.  Pulled the oil pan and sure enough, had a rod bearing pert near wore out. Seeing as how it still run pretty dang good  instead of a full fledged overhaul I just changed out the rod and crank bearings.  Got so busy doing everything else I never completely  put her back together.  Yesterday bolted everything back up except the valve cover and charged the batteries.

Today I turned her over, adjusted the valves, tightened em down, drained the fuel filters, primed the injectors, squirted just a bit of starting fluid, and..........She fired right up"!!!! ;D  Let her run til she got hot, readjusted the valves, installed the valve cover, hooked to  my semi homemade 8 foot box blade and did some much needed grading around the front of the house.

Just now stopped fer lunch and thought I'd check in.  Think I'll go back and grade some more. 8) 8) 8)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

beenthere

Ahhh! Another Deere story with a dear ending. Glad you got it back together and running. You sound pretty capable of being a jack of all trades.

I'm in the middle of some 'Deere' work too. Having to get in behind the tractor dash to adjust the throttle friction device so it will hold rpm's. Found some broken parts (plastic) that apparently were caused the only time the dealer mechanic was in there to replace the instrument panel when it was new. I am using some epoxy to repair the damage, and waiting for it to harden.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

Long ago I came to the realization that the 'Factory Authorized Dealer Mechanic' was nothing more than a mechanically inclined kid working for a shop. Well, I'm mechanically inclined also, and I'm not going to cover up broken stuff and hope that 'the customer won't notice this for a long time'. I'd love to be able to let others work on my stuff, but no one seems to be very good at it and they charge me a lot no matter how badly they break my machines.

And it's a very satisfying feeling to fix your own stuff and make it right.
 8)

Roxie

We've got a JD 3020 at the barn and a '56 Case 400.  We take them both right out of the field and down to the tractor pulls.   We don't do anything more than wash them up and throw some weights on the rear wheels.  Both are narrow front end.  I prefer the Case, but in all honesty we use the JD for running the hay baler because of the superior power at the PTO.  
Say when

Jason_WI

Last fall our Ford 9000 tractor spun a rod beariing chopping corn. The block was already bastardized by the dealer from the previous owner. We decided to put in a reman short block and head. Would have cost us more than $8000 for the local Ford (New Holland now but as long as they are blue they are Ford in my mind) dealer. We did it ourself for $5000 and that included a new clutch and PTO drive hub.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

SwampDonkey

Well... I'm not mechanically inclined. As far as diagnosing engine problems, forget it. I seem to do ok with chainsaws and thinning saws and lawnmowers. errrrm most times  ::) My dad only went to grade ten because grandfather was ill, but in those days you really only needed grade 8. But, he could fix most anything on the farm and weld and build stuff. Today when kids graduate from high school, they have no trade. I found some of fathers old school books about motors, welding and other trades. Today you'd have to go to community college or trades school to study from them books. Certainly not high school books used these days. He's retired now and has a little garden to keep his hands dirty in. He has also turned golfing into a daily event, he never golfed before 3 years ago and is working on perfecting his swings. :D Came up from Woodstock (25 miles away) with some strawberries he picked and he's been eaten taters, carrots and beats from the garden and I can barely find my carrots and beats, they're so tiny. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oldsaw

have hung from the rafters using your body weight to push sleeves into a IH "H", while Dad slathered on a 50/50 mixture of STP and 30 weight oil.  Those were the days.

Do it yourself mekanicking (Mek a Nick Ing) can be fun and educational.  Did you know it was possible to rebuild a B&S carb with a beer can, epoxy, and some screws salvaged out of an old printer?  I once fixed the swather on the farm with a dime?  When you grow up on a farm, you are naturally cheap, and somewhat fearless when it comes to fixing things?  Or an FF member...same difference.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

etat

Oh yeah, that last post brought back some memories.  Me and the wife rebuilding the carb on the 69 fairlain with a flashlight, had the rebuild kit with us but didn't 'quite' make it home.

Buying used tires and then breaking the tires down and changing them ourselves cause we didn't have the money to pay somebody.....

We're on the way to work, wore out 64 chevy pickup, starts flooding out and gas coming out the top of the carbureator.  Take the top off.  Remember when they made the floats out of hollow brass?  Yep, it's full of gas and not floating no more.  Pull the pin, remove the float, and............I SWEAR, picked up a piece of dead limb from the side of the road, whittled it down some and tied it inside that carbureator for a float.  Made it on to work, and later home so I could salvage a float from somewhere else and make a permanent repair.

Most NOT fun, on my way to Jackson, my boy's in the hospital and the wife's there.  He had had heart surgery and I had run home to check on the other two kids. Dang 86 Chev. Silverado.  Starts acting up and chocking for gas.  I KNOW, fuelpump is a going out.  Stop by a parts store and buy one midway of the trip.  Trying to get there, I know we'll be in Jackson for at least another week and I can fix it in the parking lot at the Hospital.  Nope, about halfway through Jackson she goes dead, for the last time.  I coast off the fourlane, into the edge of a Church parking lot.  There's street lights, but not out at the edge of the parking lot where I'm at.  Can't push that truck up hill though I tried.  Changed that Dang Fuel pump in the DARK!  Keeping the gasket in place, keeping that little rod up out of the way, and that last dang gas line nut does NOT wanna start, and I know better than to cross thread it.  Finally make it and the wife's worried sick, but we all came out OK.

We never had much money in them days, and sometimes we mighta been late, but we NEVER EVER missed work because of car trouble.  Some how we'd keep em pieced together.   Remember when I said on the Full Membership board that I'd probably be the slowest guy on the road when you met or got behind me.  It partly comes from them days and trying to take care enough of them old wore out cars that they'd keep RUNNING.

I absolutely miss NONE of that.  Just thinking about it makes me shudder!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Roxie

Those aren't "used to be" days for us....we're still livin em down here!   :D  
Say when

Cedarman

Got our old John Deere skid steer 125 back from the dealer. This machine is green it is so old.  But anyway the brand new battery would not hold a charge over night. They had hooked the wires up wrong on the alternator. It seems the more you pay em the more you gotta watch em.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!