iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats the "H" mean in Timberjack 230H photos added

Started by Mooseknuckle, August 21, 2014, 08:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseknuckle

Hey Guys, i bought a Timberjack 230H made in woodstock Ontario by Timberland Elligott. Serial number #654014. 
The guy didnt know what year it was and from looking at pictures I can only assume its a 1965.  It has what looks to be a 3-53 GM Detroit which runs great.  Anyhow I'm looking to get a manual for it thru John Deere, will a manual for a 230GS do the trick??
Does anyone know what the "H" stands for??
I'll post some video of it running as well in the near future as well. Just some very minor welds to do and change the fluids then put the chains on that came with the machine. 

Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

Vance in AK

Neilo

I think you have the year about right and I am pretty certain it is what is called an AR series. Eg. 230AR.

The H may stand for Hercules winch, but I am not sure. Up until 1964 they used Braden winches so your is soon after the change to Hercules.

Other things to date these are the hydraulic tank. A round tank in front of radiator was used until 64 and a tank in the cab used in 1965 until the A or AR series introduced in late 65 which had the chin tank. The C series was introduced in 1966.

Your machine should have a NP435 trans and could have a Husco or Cessna hydraulics. Later manuals will be wrong for the NP435, Husco hydraulics, ram diameters, winch worm gears, cab etc.

Go off the serial no list at Johndeertechinfo rather than model description.

Neilo

Neilo

Had another look at the phots, and I think I can see the side tank for hydraulics. This makes it pre-AR series. It is just a 230 Timberjack. 1965.

Also, if it has the Husco hydraulics, these used a Vickers vane type pump with a Fawick flow divider.

Neilo

Mooseknuckle

Thanks for the info, yes the hydraulic tank is in the cab on the back wall. See the attached photo for the equipment tag. It does have a Hercules winch as well. I'm assuming Rockwell axels.   Cant wait to start working on it.   I'll make sure to post the after pictures with some video. 

goose63

You could just send it over to me I WILL TAKE REAL GOOD CARE OF IT FOR YOU 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Mooseknuckle

Yup I have a slow leak either from a fitting under the hydraulic reservoir, or a hose. The winch arch is not the original as well, it's in really good shape but it's welded on.   It's a good weld and although the arch is a little lower than the original it's actually a little longer than the original, extending the frame and butt plate back.
This is my first skidder, my dad used to take me on a timberjack when I was young....just couldn't go through life with out owning one!!!!!  I paid 5000 for this one..... I think I got a pretty sweet deal!!  Would anyone know how I can tell the capacity of the winch.  It's a Hercules and beside the numbers coded on the side of it that's all there is. I'm thinking at least a 10000lb?

Neilo

The hercules winch is nominal 20k lb with new clutch rated to slip at 18000 and bedding in to 21000. For yours, this is at 550psi clutch pressure.

Hard to tell from your photo, but this age machine has a welded, non-adjustable arch factory.

Mooseknuckle

Hey Neilo,  attached are some photos of the back Arch.  It appears that it looks like its from another skidder of a smaller model?
Welds look solid tho.  There is what looks to be a set bolt on the rear brake side of the winch, i am assuming this adjusts the brake?

Neilo

That butt modification is interesting. Certainly lengthened it!. Looks like the butt pan from a similar TJ has been used, or maybe the front of the rear frame has been replaced at some point.

Those adjusters (there is one at the bottom as well) just keep the brake band round, so it releases evenly. The brake adjustment is done by adjusting the rod on the hydraulic cylinder at the front of the winch. I can't remember what the spec is for those old cylinders at the second.

Thank You Sponsors!