iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Installing program with no cd/dvd tray

Started by 1270d, December 06, 2014, 08:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

I am wondering if you can offer advice on how to get a mapping program installed on a computer with no disc tray.

The program will most likely be terrain navigator pro and the computer is the on board system(called opti) in my processor.  The system runs windows 7 and does have a USB port.  It isn't internet connected in any way and I don't want it to be.

Can I use my laptop to transfer it into the onboard system?  Or is there some sort of stand alone cd drive that can plug into the USB port?

Once all is said and done hopefully the foresters will be able to bring map overlays to load up to the PC.  This coupled with the GPS system should be pretty nice setup to have.

Thanks

thurlow

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Brian_Rhoad

You can get a CD/DVD drive that plugs into a USB port. Or transfer the software to a thumb drive and then use the USB port on the computer.

1270d

Will the whole program fit onto a flash drive?  I do not know how big the program is, or how much memory a flash drive is capable of.

Brian_Rhoad

You can get flash drives up to at least 128gb.

1270d

I just did a bit of searching.  I didn't realize they had such a high memory capacity, beyond a terabyte, which is beyond my comprehension.;)

Ianab

The 1 terabyte+ will actually be a hard disk.  But it works in the same sort of way.

4 gbytes is probably about the smallest Flash Drive you will find, and that's going to hold more than 5 CDs of data.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

1270d

Update.   I copied the program (terrain navigator pro) onto a USB stick and attempted an install.  No worky.   TNP tech support said I would have to fool my computer into recognizing the USB stick as a DVD drive, something I don't know how to do.   
In the end I ended up buying an external DVD drive for 34 $ at best buy. Went easy after that.