iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fall 2015 trip to Maine

Started by BecCroche, June 11, 2015, 10:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BecCroche

My wife and I will be traveling to Maine in October of this year for our first anniversary. We are from South Louisiana and have never come close to being that far North. I believe we will be staying in the Portland area. If anyone could give me some advice on the weather and some activities we could do while there we would sure appreciate it.
I have sworn upon the alter of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the minds of men.

NWP

Acadia National Park. Eat lots of clam chowder and lobster. We also drove thru the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Lots of fall colors there. Google scenic drives for New England. You'll get several suggestions. We stayed off interstates and just drove 2 lane roads. That's where you get to see the true America I think. 

This was a picture my wife took in New Hampshire.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thecfarm

October in the morning can be cold,below 30's, but high noon can be in the 70's,but could be in the 50's as well. At the coast it is cooler. I don't know Portland at all. Only go there for the doctors and the airport.  ;D I to would suggest a ride. Lots of back roads to explore.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Try to see some of the coast, entirely different than your area.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

GAB

If you want to see some solid real estate (i.e. rocks) you could visit thecfarm.
Ray may be able to tell you some stories about some rocks, where he moved them from etc.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

21incher

I also would have to recommend a trip up to Mount Desert Island to enjoy the sights of Arcadia National Park if you have a couple of extra days. Another fun thing to do is take a lobster boat tour to see some of the sea shore. A pub tour in Portland is also a good way to spend a hot afternoon and there are some great lighthouses to visit. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WV Sawmiller

BecC,

We did the Acadia Park in October last year and had a good time. Rented a house from someone there near bar Harbor with good access to the area. Park was nice. We stopped at different harbors and watched the lobster boats come in and talked with the guys on the trucks buying the lobsters. They were pretty friendly (I am one of those who has never met a stranger) but a couple of the locals going fishing were pretty stand-offish or downright rude (without reason) to my wife when she asked about the area.

Watch your timing as the shops in Bar Harbor were starting to close for the season by the time we left. We stopped at a greasy spoon looking drive in sort of café just across the border from Mass. and had the best fried clams I ever had. Ones in Bar Harbor at fancier places were not nearly as good as those.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

snowstorm

portland is just northern mass. you need to come a bit north to see what its really like. get off i95 in freeport stop at ll bean then up thru bath look on your right when on the bridge. the shipyard is there where they built war ships for the navy. stop at joes eats the hot dog stand in wiscasscet  just before the bridge on your left. a mile after that if you turn right it will take you to bothbay harbor further up rt1 rockland camden then belfast. if you get that far and my boat is still in the water let me know

snowstorm

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 17, 2015, 05:06:08 PM
BecC,

We did the Acadia Park in October last year and had a good time. Rented a house from someone there near bar Harbor with good access to the area. Park was nice. We stopped at different harbors and watched the lobster boats come in and talked with the guys on the trucks buying the lobsters. They were pretty friendly (I am one of those who has never met a stranger) but a couple of the locals going fishing were pretty stand-offish or downright rude (without reason) to my wife when she asked about the area.

Watch your timing as the shops in Bar Harbor were starting to close for the season by the time we left. We stopped at a greasy spoon looking drive in sort of café just across the border from Mass. and had the best fried clams I ever had. Ones in Bar Harbor at fancier places were not nearly as good as those.
i dont think the fishermen were picking on you. a lot of them dont have the time or care to talk to the tourist. a few reasons why. they tend to complain about the smell of the bait barrels. they want to tie up there 5 million $ yatch at the dock that says commercial fishermen only

WV Sawmiller

Snowstorm,

In this case I think the fishermen were just being crabby. We were not interfering or interrupting anything they were doing.

We have traveled all over the world and have made friends all over. One of our best tricks was to take and provide pictures in remote areas using a portable, battery powered picture printer. Doing so got me invited into family homes consisting of Mongolian gers (yurts), fresh horsemilk, a ride on a Yak and my wife a ride on a Manchurian camel. In Africa the chief sent small boys up a tree to harvest a bucket of fresh oranges for me to take back. Even illegal family diamond miner operations in Guinea toured me through their operation and let me take pictures. The last Columbian army outpost along the Peruvian border allowed us to camp in their camp and take our meals in their mess hall. The Peruvians on the other side took us through their barracks so my wife could use the toilet in a palm thatch hut over the marsh.

We were routinely invited into private home, including one where the mother had just given birth (my wife would have shot me if I'd done something like that with her), schools and to meet the village chief.

We have never pushed ourselves on to anyone which was why it was such a shock to be treated rudely in Maine. Maybe they were just having a bad day. The rest of the trip was great and we did meet some great people and the scenery was great. The lobster tour boat trip was educational and interesting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

BecCroche

Thanks for replies everybody, tons of great advice. We were definitely planning on spending a whole day up in Arcadia. We are 100% outdoor people just really didn't know where to stay when we were booking this thing.

Snowman, don't tempt me with a good time. ;D
I have sworn upon the alter of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the minds of men.

Mooseherder

If you travel to Northern Maine, you will meet your Acadian relatives.
Some even sound Cajun if you go into the St. John Valley.

North River Energy

Weather permitting, get up to West Quoddy Point and be one of the first in the country to welcome the new day. 
The sky brightens, you think you've missed the show.... then....Blammo! Massive Orange Nuclear Furnace off the bow!

That'll stick with you awhile.

Dewey

October is the best time of year !!!  Usually the 2nd week is best for leave peeping...There are tons of B&B's and lots of great places to eat... I would use Trip Adviser allot... Always look at reviews...
If you have a little extra time look me up I'd show you around my little town... LOL
Then put you to work sticking Lumbah !!!

51cub

No trip to Portland is complete without going to the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co and Museum. If you have the time, the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, and the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath.
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Magicman

Hello 51cub, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

What are your log/lumber/wood interest?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

51cub

I just saw what Dewey had written. If you get the chance, definitely look him up. Have him show you Liberty Tool. That's one of the places I haven't seen yet, that's way at the top of the list. Hi, Magicman, I'll email you so I don't get off topic on somebody else's dime
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

SwampDonkey

Acadia National Forest may be a park, but most of forested Maine and New Brunswick is the Acadian forest region. If you only see the south of Maine, you've not seen the 'other' Maine at all.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ely

I know this is an old post but relevant to me....wife and I will be flying to Boston then driving the coast of Maine this next Aug.

snowstorm

Quote from: ely on April 06, 2016, 10:38:00 AM
I know this is an old post but relevant to me....wife and I will be flying to Boston then driving the coast of Maine this next Aug.
what part of the coast? its a long way from one end to the other. i would bypass everything south of bath. take rt1 in Brunswick. going across the bridge in bath on your right if its still there will be the billion $ stealth destroyer. it was there 2 weeks ago. go thru bothbay rockland camden belfast. stop at fort knox and if you must bar harbor then further down east if you have the time. i am not a fan of bar harbor been there to many times 

logeeland

Quote from: ely on April 06, 2016, 10:38:00 AM

I live in Bar Harbor. If you need any tips shoot me a message. We have traveled quite a bit up and down the coast over the last 3 years heading back to CT where we are from.
Stihl Fan, 036, 361,361, 038 Magnum II, and a MS441

Mooseherder

It's funny how people visit Bar harbor and totally miss Mt. Cadillac.  The scenery driving up and on top of the mountain is breathtaking, especially on the right day for this flatlander.  It's the highest point on the Eastern Coast.  We have flown into Boston and rented cars north to the cabin.  Usually take route 1 to I-95 and then the coastal route 295.  We lived in Addison the last year we lived in Maine.  Baa Haa Baa was a frequent destination.  We visited there 20 years later for a couple days.  I had forgot my toothbrush so stopped at this little Store on the right side of the road leading into Baahaabah.  There was a bay on the other side of the street.  I don't know if it's still there but this place had a store and a restaurant.  A couple clerks were working out stock they had just received.  I asked one if they had toothbrushes and the next thing you know 10 people in this place were trying to find me a toothbrush or they were customers sitting at the regulars table and knew this outsider was looking for a toothbrush.     :)

LAZERDAN

Just arrived in Freeport, went to l.l.Bean.  all cool stuff, pricy thou.  Going to pineland Farm Thursday, any reviews.  Saw the ocean today, Beautiful Blue, But the huge rocks and jagged.  Spotted no fish in the big pond yet.  Any comments about the area .     Lazerdan

Mooseherder

Find a local snack shack for a Lobster Roll.
Look for the place with a lot of cars in front. ;D
Pineland farms where they make mashed potatoes in Mars Hill?

SwampDonkey

There's a summer canteen down in Patten that I intend to go and try some clams. Mother has an uncle buried over in Crystal so that will be part of the journey. Then later in August for bean hole beans at the museum. ;)

I know over at grandma's, below Houltan a ways, you can't begin to eat all they serve on your plate of anything.  It's rounded up high. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!