iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Haven't moved my mill in years now

Started by kelLOGg, September 22, 2015, 08:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

and I don't plan to. I get logs via trailer or customers bring them to me. And I am keeping the wheels on the mill because I think they offer more stability when parbuckling a 3 - 4000 pounder onto the mill. When I see one side of the mill rise off the ground an inch or two I am glad I the wheels/axle are there. Long term, will I do damage to the tires? like getting a flat spot on them?
What other surprises may there be?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

As per the recreational vehicle industry, your tires need a vapor barrier between them and the ground.  They recommend a solid plate such as steel or plastic.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Just jack up the axle and stuff some 2" thick or better boards you can spare under them so they're not in direct contact with the ground. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Lumber would not qualify as a moisture barrier.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

My old mill (LT40 woodmizer) never moved from 1994, when it was bought new, until I rescued it from my dad in 2009.  Of course the tires were shot, but 15 year old tires would be shot no matter what you did.  If you're not planning on moving the mill, I wouldn't worry about flat spots on the tires.  My primary concern would be keeping the sawdust cleaned out from around the mill.  Not moving the mill allows substantial sawdust buildup that will hold moisture,  and rust the axel, springs,  u bolts and other components that stay buried in sawdust to the point they may no longer be sound.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Chuck White

With a Hydraulic Wood-Mizer mill, I would be concerned about the velocity fuses getting broken if the sawdust and other debris got built up too much!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kelLOGg

I remove the sawdust and blow it away with a leaf blower, so I don't worry about degradation due to that. The tires are on RR ties but sawdust does build up a few inches on the sidewall.  Vapor barrier, huh. The mill is under a shed so if I put an impervious barrier under the tires they will still be in contact with sawdust on the sidewall. Is that OK? The buried RR ties are a few iinches below grade to put the mill at a convenient height. I guess I should use a vapor barrier AND blow away the dust daily from the tire bottom. Thanks,

Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

The vapor barrier is recommended for RV's to prolong tire life and even then no RV tire is considered reliable and road worthy if it is beyond 7 years old.  Of course there are many thousands on the road that are well past that 7 years old and I doubt that any of them were parked on a vapor barrier.  Avoiding direct sunlight will minimize UV damage.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

That link is not addressing lumber lying on the ground.  :P  Any board under a tire would surely soak up moisture rather than serve as a barrier for moisture.

flatrock58

kelLOGg

I bought a 2001 mill last year.  It had been moved very little and the tires looked fine.  I had a blowout on the way home.  I am assuming the tires were the original tires.  MM has the right idea.  Keep them covered with a vapor barrier and replace after 6-7 years.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

kelLOGg

Flatrock,
Thanks for relating your experience.  That's very sobering advice. My tires are 13 - same age as the mill. Now I know what I must do when I take it on the road.
Bob

Magicman

I had this to happen to one of my sawmill tires.  Notice that the tread wear is not significant.  It was age.

Ox

Classic broken belt syndrome.  Good enough for around a barnyard on a feed wagon or something but that's about it.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

petefrom bearswamp

My 2008 lt40 has been moved only to my shop and to WM Hannibal for repairs and or adjustment.
It sits on concrete in my covered shed.
Sawdust and bark debris are cleaned daily, unless i have only sawed a couple of logs.
Tires look good, but i am sure the rubber has degraded.
I like the additional stability the tires provide.
I also have rubber pads under the legs to help minimize movement when loading large logs and cushion the shock somewhat.
I do have some movement tho and periodically have to re-locate.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Banjo picker

I have only moved mine once since I got it.  Then it was only over about 15 feet.  I took the tires off and have them stored inside my sharpening shack.  The mill is sitting on a concrete slab, so I drilled, I think 8 holes just a tad bigger than a piece of 1/2 rebar and put a short piece of rebar in each hole.  Two on each side, two in front and two behind the supports and the mill has never moved.  Ever now and again I check it with a lazer level and tweek it if it needs it as to the bed being level.  Should I ever need to move it, all I would need to do is pull the rebar pieces out of the hole, and reinstall the hitch and go.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!