iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37

Started by GRANITEstateMP, April 09, 2017, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Sorry to hear that, Jim😬 I bet that was expensive!
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

which one use rubber idler track frames and mini rubber rocker walking beams?  i see the front torsion stub with the solid beam.  did they discontinue the individual pairs?
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

how many hours you get from the original bottom?
Praise The Lord

jimbarry

Quote from: barbender on December 18, 2020, 09:30:22 AM
Sorry to hear that, Jim😬 I bet that was expensive!
2 Tracks, 2 frames, 8 front and rear hubs, 4 front wheels, 24 snap rings, 6 wheel covers, 24 o-rings. Came to about CAD$8000 (about USD$6000).

jimbarry

Quote from: mike_belben on December 18, 2020, 09:36:02 AM
how many hours you get from the original bottom?
I got the machine at 4200hrs back in 2015. Its got 4700 on it now. Looking at the old frame, it was sleeved at least once already.

doc henderson

@jimbarry what is the brand and model of the log grapple?  I know you have mentioned it before.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I believe it's a Wallenstein. That attachment is handier around the woodyard than I can even say. One thing tough, they are dangerous, especially with longer wood. It's easy to swing or pull stuff right into the cab, so you have to watch it!

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on December 19, 2020, 02:46:46 PM
@jimbarry what is the brand and model of the log grapple?  I know you have mentioned it before.  
@doc henderson It is a Wallenstein make. They painted it CAT colour. Best $5500 I ever spent.

GRANITEstateMP

Managed to get wood moved from a friends new house lot.  It has a longer driveway and a bigger house plot. I'm pretty sure I got 6ish cord of processor wood, 2 cord of ugly/tops that went to the farm for the OWB, and enough saw logs to make the trucking worthwhile for my buddy. I was able to cut and sort most stuff at the house lot, that'll save me time on the next step! All I owe is 1 cord processed up and delivered, in no rush, so I am happy. Spent 2 afternoons getting it done, still think I made out ok vs just buying wood in.

Every time I make a dent in this pile, move a cord or two, loading up the brow or refilling my emergency log stash, another truck.load or two shows up and hides my progress!

I'm not complaining, it's a pretty good problem to have! AND, it's all paid for too! I had minor throat procedure done Thursday and really wanted to get this outta the way beforehand.  I don't like having too many things hanging out on my to do list!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

We took most of the winter off from doing firewood, except and odd cord here or there. Got a bunch of wood piled up some great processor, some that'll be done with the chainsaw and splitter, and some that headed right to the wood boiler at the farm!

I ended up getting 20something cord of stuff from a fella making a new horse pasture down the road. Wasn't the prettiest wood(as far as feeding the Hockey Puck), but the price was right and it was close to home.Got two more to process tomm and then some family time, atv ride and a bday party. Stay safe everyone

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

over sized and ugly wood, waiting for a saw party!

loaded brow and shorts pile

my main pile of logs I'm drawing from

some sorting and trimming left to do, but the processor will ear most of these logs.  Wife told me a few weeks ago "No more log trucks n the yard til some firewood goes out!". She doesn't usually care, so when she says something I usually listen, mostly, sometimes ;D She didn't notice the six wheeler load of pine I brought in to make campwood...yet
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

cutterboy

Hey Granitestate, how well does camp wood sell? I've been thinking of doing some myself.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GRANITEstateMP

cutterboy,

Once I got into a campground, it was easy. I got a call from one person, delivered an honest cord at a fair price.  One camper (seasonal) tells there neighbor, they tell the next neighbor... I had 2 customers the first year, 7 year 2, figure just as many or more this year. I sell 18in pine at $185 a cord, 22in at $175 a cord.  I'm not the cheapest guy around, but I figure it's the same amount of work to make a cord of soft or hardwood, so I'm gonna get paid for my work! 

One of my buddy's that helps me with wood lives on a state road near a couple lakes/ponds. We'll run off a pickup load for him every couple weeks. He puts them in a bin at the end of his driveway, self serve, $3 a bin. His kid gets a buck, he gets a buck, and I get a buck from each sale.  I don't get rich but his little guy learns to keep the rack full and I get burger $

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

thecfarm

In my early 20's I mowed one lawn and did some yard work for a person. That person told her neighbor and I stated working for her. Than another neighbor came over and asked her about me and I started to work for him. Than another neighbor came to see him........  I was a busy guy!!!
At the time I had my hourly rate up there. But as I was told more than once, you never stop and the job is done right and quick. They was willing to pay for that.
They are willing to pay for it now too. Hard to find a good handy man now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GRANITEstateMP

Me and the Predator 670 engine on the PTO unit for my processor have had cross words...again.  I thought I was having a fuel delivery issue, not that it'd be a huge surprise, I have a 5 or 6 gallon plastic cell that sits on the PTO unit, it's always real dusty & and saw dust around when I fill up, figured some junk my have got past BOTH fuel filters.  I blew the lines out and then blew the filter out.  Got her fired up for about long enough to get the air cleaner back on and she died again.  Ok, one more time, repeat the same process again.  This time all was good for about 3 min then, it just DIED.  Ok, one more time with checking lines, clamps, leaks, etc, all good to go.  I managed to get about 1/3 of a cord done and it was time to start dinner, do the rest the next day.  Next day comes and she don't want to start.  I checked fuel...again ;D, that was good.  Pulled a plug and turned it over, no spark  :(.  Ok, check the basics, cleaned up the flywheel and magnet, checked the coil gap, checked the starter switch.  2 hrs later, I need to walk away for a while.  My buddys dad came over today, brought his spark tester.  We unplugged both small wires off the coils, AND WE HAD SPARK!  kept working our way down the line.  Key switch tested good, so didn't the carb solenoid.  Came down to a wire going to the "Low Oil Alert Box".  I had tried unplugging the oil switch earlier but not this 3 wire magic that bolts on near the starter.  My buddys dad was concerned about running it without the low oil deal connnected, but I told him I was super thankful that it was up and running again and if the thing spit a rod out the side then I'd HAVE TO GO BUY A HONDA and that wouldn't be a bad thing!  After he left I had to put all the plastic shields back on and then got it up and going again.  Wouldn't ya know, it started surging, and running like crap.  Shut it down double and triple checked everything.  It came out of it after 20 minutes of running.  I've got it going with the oil alert box bypassed.  I think I can get a new one for $30, just not sure that this motor is worth it.  I'm starting to price out Honda's again, I know it'll hurt a bit at first but I'm sure I'll be way happier with a GX630 than this Predator!

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Corley5

I had an issue with my GX670 just a couple days ago.  It went down on the outside cylinder.  Pull the plug wire and no change.  Dead on that cylinder.  Spark yes and the plug was wet.  Getting fuel...  Put in a new plug.  No change.  smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch  Fuel at the end filter.  Lots of it.  I run two filters too ;D  Put on new filters anyway.  No change. smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch  Fire it up and give it a snort of ether and it runs on two...  Then I find it'll run on two at almost full choke.  Off with the carb. I completely disassembled it, cleaned it, and put it back together.  I didn't find anything plugging anything anywhere but that was the cure.  What threw me off was the plug being wet and smelling of gas...  I think a piece of crud broke loose from the logs dropping in from the new deck, they fall a bit farther than they used to, and restricted the jet for that cylinder.  I've got the low oil shut offs unhooked on all my Hondas.  Just check the oil.  We lived a long time without such things  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

Id also just delete the oil switch and give the coil whatever condition it wants.  

Carb teardowns are just part of life with ethanol.
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

thanks guys!  Corley, so the not running right deal isn't just me ;D.  I've grown to hate the Pred, I'm starting to squirrel away a little bit from each cord to go into a new Honda, maybe then I'll only need to do maintenance on the dang thing???

Mike, I like corn, but I HATE gas with corn in it! I should look into the little airport in Rochester and see if they have non ethanol fuel there?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

mike_belben

Have you looked inside the float bowl?
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

As long as you can keep your fuel flushed/renewed by new fuel (and tuned properly) then it should be okay. If not on either (or both) welcome to the "fun" of fixing it.
Trying harder everyday.

mudfarmer

If you have any marinas or popular snowmobile destinations nearby they are usually a good bet for non ethanol. We get enough boat and sled traffic locally that it is available at the middle of nowhere and the middle of town regular gas stations.

GRANITEstateMP

still going on firewood. The ole Pred is plugging away, trying to get me to either tear out more hair, or what little I have left go gray all at once!  She was acting up again a month back, would start for a bit, then stop. I thought (that don't happen often) that it was fuel delivery. I was sick of issues, so I replaced, plugs, fuel line, blew out tank, 2 fuel filters, hose clamps. Yeah, that weren't it  :( Ended up being the magic oil brain box thing. Ended up unplugging that and off she went.  My buddy's dad was a huge help, he kept me sane. He was concerned that I wasn't buying a new oil level/pressure brain box. I told him how much I hated the engine, and that if it blew up, then I'd have to buy something better  ;D. I do check the level every time before start up and when fueling.

I did a couple cord myself the other day, it was fathers day weekend and my buddys had more important stuff to do!

Since I was a one man band Sunday, I stacked the deck low, and with the straight-est logs I had one hand.

The ole HockeyPuck 1x37 ready to make big pieces of wood into little pieces.  I had a cord of 18in and a cord of 22in to do.

It was a nice morning to work up some wood.  I was done before 11 and up to the farm for father's day with family by noon.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Here's the 22in cord, still sitting at the landing 2 days later. I guess some people aren't really ready to get all there firewood at once...even if they tell you they are!!!

nice, steady, much needed rain, "cleaning" this fresh cut cord. Can I get extra $ for freshly laundered cordwood?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

doc henderson

I think you can unplug that oil sentry thing, if you dare! :)  I think it opens a ground (to the coil).  so you can also just run power to a light, and use it as the ground and viola you get a light for low oil, and not kill the engine.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I've found that once I get to the point that I'm wishing death on an engine or machine, our relationship is unsalvageable😊

Thank You Sponsors!