iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber frame, green or dry, pine or oak!

Started by pineburr, April 15, 2002, 02:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineburr

:P this puter stuff continues to amaze me , so much info
just can't  believe it . I'm looking for veteran sawyers and
framers , looks like I might get help here sure would appreciate any info you all might offer . Weak mind , not my
back , yet   :D :D :D . !  Have trees no mill yet , red an white
oak, yellow pine, hickory.

thanks!

ARKANSAWYER

North,
   I guess your question was what to frame with???  Green oak and dry pine is the way I do it. (you willl only try to cut dry oak one time)  Grandpa always said "Red oak never lay it down and White oak stick it in the ground."  You just have to remember which way it will shrink and long spans will sag, so some braceing may be in order till it has a chance to dry.  You should always use very dry pegs.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Tom

Along with the posts, try the knowledge base.  We have sawyers and a few builder so there is either an answer to your questions or someone will create one  :D

The Links Directory will give you a head start perusing the webb too.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum N. La. Pineburr,   :)  
How about "Pineburr" for short? :-/

Ron Wenrich

You might want to try the Timber Framers Guild at this link:

http://www.tfguild.org/

These are some of the best framers in the country.  They have been featured on "This Olde House".  They conduct workshops, if you are really interested.  They also offer several publications, if you just want to dabble.  :P
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

I just cut all post and beam for a 1.5 story carraige house.   the carpenter would only cut green red oak, though he said most of his post and beam jobs are in pine.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodman

Welcome North La Pineburr. Most were made with pine because it was there
Jim Cripanuk

woodman

Woodmills 1 were is the carraige house going i have a crane job to put one up down here in 2 weeks.
Jim Cripanuk

Bud Man

Welcome aboard N La. Pineburr --while your gathering info bring on some of doze Cajun recipes youse guys are famous for, all we get on here is from Michigander's and their kinda bland and flavorless, we need some spicey ones !!  Bring em on !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

pineburr

I made it back ,  ??? sure appreicate you  all's input
brother is carpenter conventional ark, and he said oh yeah
white oak been used for seals for ever , just look under old
house places he said just never new it was bug and rot
resistant like cedar or cypress thought about pouring slab
using white for bottom plates and red for post and combo
oak pine for rest of frame . Kinda got a game plan but have'nt
decided on type of mill band or swing , what i read here looks
like lot of this depends how green your money is! Mind is
kinda moldey , have to  :D to keep from :'( !   just want to have
enough to get in  and keep dry in old years, and maybe leave
something for grandkids to talk about how'd he do dat!
Anyway which would be better for timbers as large as 10x16
and for small stuff also, what about support equipment gona
get a tractor combo do it all sorta thing whatchamacallit ;) ;)
Wonder are there any good free plans for solar kiln and barns
workshops etc.

thanks  ,

arkan,ron,mills1,woodman and bud I'll try to get some spects
on some classic recipes , i like it all , moma train me right
come in handy now after big D  :P 8) :P ;) life moves on just
glad to be somewhere !
                                      Pineburr,

took advice , Tom !!! thanks

Jeff

QuoteMichigander's and their kinda bland and flavorless, we need some spicey ones !!  Bring em on !!

I got my eye on you grit boy.

Hey Ron SCOTT!!  Tell em about da soup.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Jeff's Soup. Some good stuff, you need to try it. See the Knowledge Base;  Recipes Section.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Lunch Time. Tail-gate Lunch with "Jeff's Soup" at the Logging Job.  

~Ron

Ron Scott

Jeff,
We've taken a liking to your soup. I gave friend wife the recipe and guess what we had for supper tonight? I'm sure I'll be eating more.
~Ron

Jeff

We make a pot about once a month. I love the stuff, eat it for 3 days!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

...Pineburr, welcome to the forum.   I run 2 Mobile Dimension mills.  They are made here in Oregon.  They are an excellent investment, if you are interested in cutting primarely dimensional lumber.  They have two edger blades and a main side blade.  With one pass you can produce a dimensional board and have the mill return the board to you.  ;)  You can get the 128 model that will cut a single timber with one pass, as large as 8" x 12" .  
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

Pineburr,
   If you are going to saw timbers and framing a swing blade is limited on the size of timbers.  If you want timbers (say a 28x28x21') then a band mill is better and you can cut off other stuff as well but you are limited on the the size of logs you can handle.  MD's like franks are good if framing and timbers are all you want to produce and I do not know what their capacitys are.
  But if you want to saw a 4x12x32 ft and put a 20 degree bevel on the top for the raffters a band mill can do that for a load of coin.  I saw out several houses a year and I can tell you that if you wish to saw much you will need a large hydralic mill or you will lose your religion and quite before you get into the dry.  $5000.00 of sawing will buy 23,000 bdft of lumber sawn.  Start felling and bucking logs and then start sawing and stacking then start building a house and it gets old.  There is more to sawing timbers then just squaring up a log and every log has good lumber and bad and how you saw it will depend on which you get the most of.
   I like my crawdads steamed with corn on the cob and new red taters and hot sauce that makes you eyes water when you open the top.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!