iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deere 4.039

Started by mike_belben, July 12, 2020, 12:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

I just dragged home a free chicago pneumatic tow behind air compressor with the air end removed but otherwise all there.  Its a 80hp deere 4039 non turbo with a standadyne rotary pump, little under 5k hours on meter.  Ive got a starter and flywheel and at a glance some sort of bellhousing adapter for the air pump.. Ill look closer tomorow.  

Anyhow im wondering what common manual transmissions may bolt up behind these?  I see theyre in 450 dozers, 6200 tractors, 310D backhoe.  So prevalent but none of those are a typical easily obtainable manual trans.  

Not entirely sure what to do with it.. First step is finding what i can easily acquire to bolt to it and get power out of it. Whether that be a trans, a pump or a multi-belt sheave.  
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

Pretty sure that is the motor I had in the power unit running my old edger and I think they are often used to power irrigation pumps. A Rockford PTO clutch unit probably would bolt right up. Best running motor I ever owned.

Riwaka

Just as a reference link
Understanding SAE Bellhousing and Flywheel Measurements - Seaboard Marine

If you are trying to make a 'lazy trail' off road diesel rat rod that never goes for any emissions related testing.
SAE Industrial Engine to Automotive Transmission Adapters | Phoenix Casting and Machining

Mountaynman

Mike not sure what you r exactly looking to do but if you are looking for the ultimate in self sufficiency the local amish community up here is a bit more advanced than most they all have a concrete block building with a power unit and jackshaft system to make power and air they can run their unit so many hours a day. using several 1000 gal propane tanks for storage milking the cows, cooling the milk, pumping water with air pumps the storage alows the system to work til the milk again. Ive seen many of them using outdoor woodboilers with air pumps all have indoor plumbing and hot water.

Theres even one cabinet maker using an air over hydrualic system to run all of the wood shop way beyond my understanding but im sure you could figure it out they are all great people and willing to share ideas if you get up this way could give you a tour. Hes got a pump that looks like it came out of a 345 cat digger bolted up to a 671t detroit pretty wild.
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

moodnacreek

The problem I always ran into was the engine not having a s.a.e. flywheel. 

mike_belben

Thanks for the info guys.  I dont know what i'll use it for.  I already have a 4cyl diesel 3phase onan for future shop power.  

Jaw crusher/screening plant, sawmill power unit or big fast wood processor all seem to make sense.  The shop wont be up for a few years so theres no rush.  Plenty of time to accumulate parts.
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

I bought a 4239D to repower that Built-rite processor, not a bad engine, just rebuilt the 239T in my Barko and wasn't to bad cost wise. PTO assemblies for that are all over, make a nice power plant. 

mike_belben

So the part i have is a scattered rubber drive adapter that musta died from a locked up air pump.. I dunno.  

I cranked it over tonight and it spins fast but the transfer pump is disconnected and glass brick filter all goo'd up.. I put power to the shutoff solenoid and it clicks but i dont think these pumps like gravity fed fuel.  Couldnt get a shot to come out of the pump ferrule. Will fiddle with it tmrw.

Stavebuyer youre right theyre a very common irrigation plant and rockford definitely makes pto clutches for them.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

The injection pump plungers in the stanadyne DB2 pump are gummed up from old fuel but the pump wont release out of the timing gear.  Does anyone know if its got a snapring or something on the shaft?

@BargeMonkey @kiko  @bushmechanic
Praise The Lord

Corley5

JD 6068s do.  The timing gear cover needs to come off as I remember.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

kiko

You have to use a gear puller there should be threaded holes (metric) just out side the shaft. The pump shaft it keyed and taper.  As you sometimes once you get the puller tight and it still has not jumped loose , it may need to be jarred.

mike_belben

Well dang.  So its sorta like a 12v cummins?  I can pull the pump back about a quarter inch and wiggle it all over but it hangs up by the shaft.  Or am i feeling a floating drive gear pressed on the pump shaft that isnt gonna come through the case? 

There may be a access cover on front but the radiator hose blocks it and i need to get a few clean buckets before i can drain the radiator, its good sized. 

Can rotary pumps be spill port timed?
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

I tagged barge but it didnt highlight.  Did he get himself booted?

Nevermind.. It just needed capitalization to work. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Kiko, i got the PDF, thank you very much!
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!