iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, i went mad.

Started by Satamax, July 30, 2020, 03:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Bored to borrow the splitter from a friend, i just bought one of those. 

But an electric one. 

Palax Power 100s Firewood Processor cutting up logs - YouTube
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Satamax

Best bit, i got it cheap, ish. 

Well, i bought it sight unseen. But the plan is to add wheels or put it on my trailer, tow it behind my new truck tractor thingy.  And bypass the electrics, when operating away from my workshop. Running it from the tractor's hydraulics. 

Offer a splitting service to people. May be. Thought It is mostly for my own firewood. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

g_man

That looks like a very good system. Hope you have good luck with it. I am wondering when you run it on electric what kind of power source do you need. Volts, amps, watts ??

gg

Satamax

380/415 v 50hz, 15k watts. 

Pushed by this. 

g_man

thanks. I figured you would need something serious.

gg

mike_belben

Small volvo?  Almost looks like 6BT but exhaust on wrong side i think.. Pump looks bosch-ish 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on July 31, 2020, 02:34:23 PM
Small volvo?  Almost looks like 6BT but exhaust on wrong side i think.. Pump looks bosch-ish
11 something liters, 144kw output of the alternator. IIRC, it's named 6DT or something like that. 

Riwaka

Is there an equivalent of the swiss  Oekotubes in France or Italy?

https://oekosolve.ch/en/products/oekotube/

BargeMonkey

It looks like a nice machine, diff to see how the European stuff is compared to here. Why the short lengths, cook stoves ? 

Satamax

Quote from: Riwaka on July 31, 2020, 10:15:21 PM
Is there an equivalent of the swiss  Oekotubes in France or Italy?

https://oekosolve.ch/en/products/oekotube/
Well, on big incineration plants, there is electrostatic precipitators.   For small household heating, i've never heard of anywhere needing those. 
Quote from: BargeMonkey on July 31, 2020, 11:55:27 PM
It looks like a nice machine, diff to see how the European stuff is compared to here. Why the short lengths, cook stoves ?
Bargemonkey, small cook stoves, but also small stoves, or even small mass heaters. The outside boiler, is something absolutely unknown here. And our houses usually average at 1000, 1500 sqft. May be 2000. 
More and more, you see modern vertical stoves in houses. 
  http://www.supra.fr/famille-gamme-supra/les-poeles-a-bois/
Mind you, in france, what was the mainstream stove for years, is "the godin" 
https://www.google.fr/search?q=poele+%22le+petit+godin%22&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjmouueuPnqAhVT04UKHXTDBgAQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=poele+%22le+petit+godin%22&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1CxXFidaWCGcWgAcAB4AIABRogBgwOSAQE2mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=9hMlX-bPGdOmlwT0hhs&bih=616&biw=1280
That doesn't take big logs either. 
But that machine can do up to 60 cm, that's about 24 inches. 
Well, for me, that's a hobby machine. Kind of. 

Sawyerfortyish

Looks pretty nice I have been running a Multitek wood processor about 25 years. In thinking about this I dont see a advantage of the electric over diesel when you need a big gen set like that to run it. My processor runs all day on about 5 gal of fuel. That gen set will burn that in an hour or two. The noise may be more but you can park the gen set further away to limit the noise. Don't mean to sound like i'm putting this down I'm not. Just saying it will cost more to run generating the power. I like the idea of electric no playing around in the cold to get a diesel started no messing around with fuel just flip a switch and go. 

Satamax

Sawyerfortyish, no worries. I already had the gen set for the sawmill. It's huge, compared to the 66kw i would need to start the saw straight in delta position. The main thing is, i got the gen set with 401 hours, for 1500€. I resold my old 80kw, unreliable GM 6.71 1944 gen set, for the double of what i had in it originally. And that nearly paid for the new one. Same with this machine,  i won't say it was dead cheap. But it was only a thousand euros more than i was willing to pay for a much smaller machine last year, so i said to myself, go for it. And i might be able to run it on the workshop's power. As i have 15kw power, and the splitter has a 15kw star delta startup too. So i might be ok. Not having to run the gen set. 

Satamax

Mind you, with an awake offbearer, i could run the two together, and chuck the slabs straight in there! :D 

mike_belben

If amazon sold those we could all be rich!
Praise The Lord

Cruiser_79

That's a nice machine! Looks good with the circular saw, most of the saw/split machines have chains I thought. Are you selling firewood or do you saw and split for others per hour?
It might be an idea to have a small PTO driven generator on your tractor. Does it have a PTO?
They are much cheaper and smaller than a diesel driven generator. Lot of dairy farms use them in case the power shuts down. They run on the 540 rpm shaft, so it won't work on a front PTO I guess. And the rotation direction in the front is differen.

Edit; Didn't see that you posted the picture of your generator yourself  :D Looks like you have plenty of power for your unit!

Satamax

Hi Cruiser_79.

Well, i have plenty of power for sure. But not mobile. I have found a PTO gen set, 50kva, but too expensive. I think i'll go the hydraulic route. Since i have plenty of hydraulics on this thing

Cruiser_79

With hydraulics your more free to find a place for your generator as well. You could place a dynaset like generator under the truck bed for example. But you will need a big hydraulic tank or an oil cooler to run a serious hydraulic driven generator. At my brothers company we have a hook lift workshop with a hydraulic driven generator. Works fine, I think it is 15 kVA or something like that. 

Satamax

I won't go hydraulic, to electric, then electric back to hydraulics. 

Hydraulic  to hydraulic is  far cleverer. 

Cruiser_79

Quote from: Satamax on August 09, 2020, 04:49:04 PM
I won't go hydraulic, to electric, then electric back to hydraulics.

Hydraulic  to hydraulic is  far cleverer.
That's certainly true! But depends on what you are going to do else with your truck. I would like to make my edger, sawmill and slabber mobile, and then it would be nice to have electric power on site. 
Do you have pictures of your palax? What diameter can you cut maximum? 

Satamax

I don't have a pic of it yet. It's on the trailer. In front of the house. 

Just check that.   https://www.palax.fi/sites/default/files/instruction-manual-palax-power-100-1-2017-EN.pdf

They say 40cm diameter.   Well, my sawmill will never be mobile. And adding electric gen set to the truck is too expensive. 2000€ for a 540rpm second hand 50 kva gen set. Which i would have to adapt to the truck, which means, removing the multiplier, getting a ZF TO with an output flange. Finding what i need in terms of linkage. Support etc. Easier to just fit another hyd pump. If the worse comes. 

Cruiser_79

Quote from: Satamax on August 10, 2020, 06:36:51 AM
I don't have a pic of it yet. It's on the trailer. In front of the house.

Just check that.   https://www.palax.fi/sites/default/files/instruction-manual-palax-power-100-1-2017-EN.pdf

They say 40cm diameter.   Well, my sawmill will never be mobile. And adding electric gen set to the truck is too expensive. 2000€ for a 540rpm second hand 50 kva gen set. Which i would have to adapt to the truck, which means, removing the multiplier, getting a ZF TO with an output flange. Finding what i need in terms of linkage. Support etc. Easier to just fit another hyd pump. If the worse comes.
Looks good in the brochure! I like the adjustable wedge height and the circular saw. But your processor is electric drive and you are going to convert it to hydraulic? Do you have that much discplacement and pressure on your Brimont truck? I really have no idea of the hydraulic capacity of that truck, I know the stock Unimogs don't have that much liters, about 50 liters/minute. 

Satamax

Well, theoretically, i have 50 liters at 160 bars. Per the brimont brochure. But i'm not sure, i might have more. as it's a twin pump. Otherwise, i can always fit a hydraulic pump to the ZF gearbox. 

And about the palax, it's simple.

I have two numbers,15kw and 210 bars maximum.

15 x 600 = 9000  

9000/210 = 42.86 liter per minute.

Based on the hydraulic power formula.   https://www.berendsen.com.au/hydraulic-system-design/engineering-and-design/hydraulic-formulas/

I need to test my pressure on the brimont, and my flow.

But i think this could be doable.

Thank You Sponsors!