iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain today, tonight and tomorrow. Yesterday I cut and moved out of the woods as much firewood as I could. It's all in the barn waiting to be split.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

cutterboy

Here is some of the wood I brought out of the woods yesterday that needs splitting.

Those are the two halves of the stump I chainsawed in half.

I did some splitting this morning, enough to fill up the box.

A box of oak for my neighbor.

I'm glad I was working inside because it's nasty outside. Rain with strong winds. Possible sleet and snow mixed in with the rain tonight. Fires are burning.

Keep on splitting.....Cutter

g_man

After a couple sunny 50* days the wood yard was finely OK to work in. Hard to believe there was 15" of new snow here a little more than a week ago. I started splitting yesterday morning too but only got this far. I had to quit before I ran out of steam and put the plow back on the tractor and get everything covered up for todays storm. Wicked windy now - surprised we still have power.

gg

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

B.C.C. Lapp

Nice neat work and good looking firewood as always Cutter.  If you were in Pa I'd hire you in a minute.  Or come to think of it, you hire me. Even better.  ffcheesy
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

SwampDonkey

Black ash firewood. A couple of trees where one had the roots smothered a bit from earth works and killed back the top, the other was shading the garden. One had brown heart, the 2 smaller ones on the top. The other had a dark reddish brown color, it was the bigger pieces. Split them up with the Collins.  There was an earlier post or another thread by @21incher with his black ash.

The chunk on the lwr left has an exaggerated sapwood width, that is flare on the stump. And a little exaggerated on some limb wood cut at a node or fork. Nowhere near as heavy as rock maple or yellow birch.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

Now that looks much more like the black ash in my area.
Too many irons in the fire

Andries

Same here, looks like NW. Ontario and S. Manitoba ash.
Might be a Northern look?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

g_man

I've been picking away at splitting my 2025/26 wood that I pulled out last winter. Took some pictures yesterday. I fill the bucket with blocks. Any too big for me to handle up on the splitter I roll to the side.

I stand between the bucket and splitter. The splits get tossed onto the stack as I go. Hardly have to move my feet. After each bucket I have to neaten the stack a little. Doesn't have to be perfect. They will only be there a couple months, August, before for I move them into the shed.

When the big ones that I put to the side start getting in my way I put the splitter vertical and work off the carry-all. I chunk them up into manageable size and throw them back on the pile. The carry-all has a smooth surface so it is easy the slide the big blocks around and position them on the splitter.

gg

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Nice setup GMAN, and nice stack of wood. I'd say you are well ahead in the wood game if this wood is for 2025/26. I'm just finishing up splitting wood for next winter.

g_man

Thanks Cutter. I've learned that if I want to have wood to burn then I better stay ahead. You never know what might happen. A year ahead is my goal. The shed has two sides. Each is enough for a year. Right now the left side has a little more than one row left. I will fill it with the wood I an working up now after it air dries a while. This is my shed last August after filling the right side. Each side is 4 cords which is enough to keep us warm and comfortable all year and still doable for me.

gg

B.C.C. Lapp

Weather seems to be improving. Everybody is making firewood.   I just came in for some coffee and I'm back out to the wood yard.   Sun is shining here,  grounds drying, life is good today. :thumbsup:

thecfarm

It's getting better around here too.
Last time I said that we got 18 inches of snow and then about a week later a foot of snow.  :wacky:
Plus the spot my firewood is coming out of is on the meadow. Really wet down there. I did not even dare to bush hog it last year. Maybe this year I can get on it and do some cutting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodroe

Might try collecting some downed and limbed trees today.  1st attempt
this year. 
gg's carry all caught my eye. So much that I'm picking one up today !
Really should stay off the internet. ffcheesy
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

thecfarm

I've got a lot of trees to clean up. Some are out in the woods, those can wait until I need to drove through them to get to the other side.  :wacky:
I keep about an acre cleaned up real nice. In a normal year it's always a mess. I take a chainsaw and cut up for the OWB whatever I think the mini bush hog cannot chew up. Mini bush hog is a lawn mower.  :wacky: 
This is really a nice piece of land. Not many  rayrock to mow around.
From what I can see, no down trees came into the field this year.  :huh?

beenthere

Quote from: woodroe on April 21, 2024, 05:44:51 AM................

gg's  ??

meaning g_man ??

I've used the carry-all in the past, but now use the pallet forks to carry a pallet of bucked firewood rounds to set on four other rounds at a convenient height to the splitter. Then place another pallet close to the splitter to stack the splits. Tractor with forks kept busy doing all the heavy lifting.
Also have the splitter up on car ramps to have it a more convenient height so no bending over.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

B.C.C. Lapp

Looks like a pretty efficient way to work it beenthere.    Those are nice rounds.  

woodroe

Quote from: beenthere on April 21, 2024, 11:08:19 AM
Quote from: woodroe on April 21, 2024, 05:44:51 AM................

gg's  ??

meaning g_man ??

I've used the carry-all in the past, but now use the pallet forks to carry a pallet of bucked firewood rounds to set on four other rounds at a convenient height to the splitter. Then place another pallet close to the splitter to stack the splits. Tractor with forks kept busy doing all the heavy lifting.
Also have the splitter up on car ramps to have it a more convenient height so no bending over.

Yes g mans setup.

woodroe

Back in the woods cleaning up winter blowdowns. Many more to come.

NE Woodburner

Quote from: g_man on April 20, 2024, 07:28:21 AMI've learned that if I want to have wood to burn then I better stay ahead. You never know what might happen. A year ahead is my goal. The shed has two sides. Each is enough for a year.
I have essentially the same setup. My wood shed holds about 4.5 full cords each side with room between rows for airflow. I could stack higher and fit more, but I have found it is too much of a pain going over 6' high and the 4.5 cord is about right for a year of burning for me anyway. Most years I get to the beginning of April and think I'm going to have a bunch left over then end up burning most of what is left in April and even sometimes a fire here and there in May.

For years when my kids were young and we were always busy I would just barely get my wood in for the year. As I got older I learned like g_man did that getting ahead is better. The only problem is I should have made my shed with 3 sections because I am now 3 years ahead with wood. This means more handling because I end up stacking year 3 outside the shed and eventually moving it in. I enjoy cutting firewood and can use the exercise, so I usually end up giving a few cords away to friends and neighbors who need it.

g_man

Quote from: woodroe on Today at 05:46:40 AMBack in the woods cleaning up winter blowdowns. Many more to come.

Same thing I have - lots of blown over fir from last winter. Mostly from that last storm with the vicious wind and heavy snow. I have some all limbed out and still laying in the woods. I alternate between doing that and splitting the firewood.

gg

woodroe

Limbing those balsam firs and spruce are time consuming. Must be 50 limbs 
on a 75' tree. But there is a lot of firewood in them so worth it.
Shoulda bought a bandmill 30 yrs ago though  . I look at alot of those blowdowns and think 
could have been some nice dimensional lumber in them. Oh well, too late now. Old and slow.

Thank You Sponsors!