iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pub Table

Started by Axe Handle Hound, March 27, 2013, 01:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axe Handle Hound

Here's a couple of pics of a pub style table I helped a friend of mine build over the past few weekends.  The general design was all his and he really wanted to do as much of the work as possible despite not having a woodworking background so I provided the oversight while he did the cutting and fitting.  Consequently, it's got just enough "unique character" to show that it was hand made.  He's pleased with it and more importantly, so is his girlfriend and that's what really matters.  It's all red oak with drawbore mortise and tenon joints on the aprons and legs.  I've pegged a lot of aprons to legs on projects in the past, but usually only for decorative effect and I drilled them in after everything was glued and set.  This time we used a true drawbore technique so he could move the table right after glue up and because some of the tenons were a bit loose.  I have to say I was impressed.  The pegs pulled the joints as tight or tighter than I could have done with the clamps.   

Jay C. White Cloud

Great job!  8)  Up scale it, and you have a timber frame... ;D
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

beenthere

Axe
That does look great.

What is/will be the finish?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ain't you something Axe! That ain't nothing but NICE. Make me 24 more just like it and we'll open up a Pub.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Axe,

Something tells me that your friend's future may include some woodworking tools.  Once bitten, well, you know.....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Axe Handle Hound

Thanks for the kind words guys. 

Beenthere- He's planning to finish it with a dark stain, something like "Espresso" (at least that's what he said) and then just some plain old semi-gloss polyurethane.  I think it should look pretty sharp when he's done. 

Jay- I'm thinking "timber frame" when it comes to my woodworking bench that I want to build and you can bet that I'll be drawboring the joints when I build it.  That really worked slick.

Poston- something tells me that opening a pub with you would be quite entertaining.   :)

WDH- I didn't mention it before, but we used that same false edge technique that you used to make the top look thicker.   We'll see how it handles our wide humidity swings up here in the north.  I think my buddy will be back for more in the future.  I joked with him that if he stayed any longer we truly would have dragged out every single tool in the shop. 

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Wow, definitely looks like a solid one-piece top.  The match on the end grain is amazing!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Great job on the teamwork, that really looks good. Once you try drawboring, you'll wonder why everyone doesn't do it! It really works well and it's a whole lot more fun that fiddling with a bunch of clamps :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tim Lea

Bill Gaiche

Very nice indeed. They will love that table.
I am building a 42" x 52" dining table out of 1 1/2" x 3/4" x 72" teak slats that have been outside for about 4 years. I put them in the kiln with no weight and got 60 decent boards out of 170. Should have weighted them down to keep them from twisting and bowing so bad. I have the top glued up in a edge grain top. Looks like a butcher board at the moment. Friend wants the legs made from the same stuff. Have to dry another 100 boards to hopefully have enough to do that. Hope to have it done in another 6 or 8 weeks. What a job gluing all those boards together. Used 1/2 gallon for the top. What an experience it has been using teak wood. Will post some photos when done. bg

jamesamd

I'll have a New Castle Ale on tap thank You.

Nice ,very nice!

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

isawlogs

Now theres a nice leaner to have a Bleu on tap  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

samandothers

Very nice!  I will have to read more about the drawbore joining.  I have placed decorative pegs in some things too but not really functional.

Thank You Sponsors!