iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber grading?

Started by scgargoyle, December 29, 2007, 06:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

I've been reading up on the building codes for SC (They use IBC 2003 right now) and if I decide to go TF (or even if I don't) the code specifies that graded lumber be used. Is there a way to get timber graded? Can you hire someone to come out and stamp your timbers, or am I going to have to buy from a mill that does grading? Any idea what a 'mobile grader' would charge?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Chris Burchfield

There are inspection services available for $$$$'s. Also depends on the species.

The National Hardwood Association has a product and services link: http://www.natlhardwood.org/directory_equipment.asp?userid=&call=direq

The Southern Pine Inspection Bureau's Link:
http://www.spib.org/lumberservices.shtml

Believe it or not, there are areas in the country where there is no one to inspect what you build or with what relating to residential. Commercial on the other hand is another story.
Hope this helps.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

scgargoyle

Unfortunately, I'm in Greenville County, which has plenty of inspectors, and they seem pretty up-to-date on building codes. I actually asked, and yes, they do need to see a grading stamp (and engineering) on TF structures. Interestingly, I DON'T have to have plans for regular stick construction- they have no plans review. I guess the inspector just measures a few 2X's, and if the spacing is OK, they pass it. But TF, and 'homegrown' lumber is apparently a different matter....

WDH

If you use pine for framing, you can hire an inspector from the Southern Pine Inspection Bureau for a daily charge.  Many places now require that all dimension lumber used in construction be grade stamped from an approved mill or licensed grader.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scgargoyle

If I go TF, there's actually a good chance I'll be using cypress milled right here in FL. The thought was to cut and fit the frame here, then haul it up to SC and erect it on my property. So I would need to have the timber graded here. I'm not going to cut a frame only to find out it's not 'legal'. I'm not sure who I'd ask, since cypress isn't a hardwood, and it's not SYP. I'll call the mill and ask if they know who would grade it. All I know so far is that they don't do it.

Jim_Rogers

I would start by calling the Southern Pine bureau and see what they have to say....
They are the grading agency for your area, FL or SC....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: scgargoyle on December 31, 2007, 07:59:20 AM
If I go TF, there's actually a good chance I'll be using cypress milled right here in FL. The thought was to cut and fit the frame here, then haul it up to SC and erect it on my property. So I would need to have the timber graded here. I'm not going to cut a frame only to find out it's not 'legal'. I'm not sure who I'd ask, since cypress isn't a hardwood, and it's not SYP. I'll call the mill and ask if they know who would grade it. All I know so far is that they don't do it.

According to the Southern Cypress Manufacturer's Association, Cypress grading rules are detailed in the Rules for the Measurement and Inspection of Hardwood & Cypress from the National Hardwood Lumber Association.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 31, 2007, 09:02:45 AM
I would start by calling the Southern Pine bureau and see what they have to say....

As I said I'd start with calling the National Hardwood Lumber Association...... :D ;D
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 31, 2007, 10:34:17 AM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 31, 2007, 09:02:45 AM

As I said I'd start with calling the National Hardwood Lumber Association...... :D ;D

That's what I thought I heard you say  8)

scgargoyle

It's all 'hard' wood if it whacks you in the head! :D Thanks for the input, guys. I'll start calling around to see what I can find out.

JGroebner

I will get you an inspection co. in the a.m. there is one within a couple hundred miles of you that charges $600/day or .25/B.F.  We fly him to MN on occasion as his pricing is Very reasonable.  On a good day we can get 20-30,000 b.f. of salvaged material graded and stamped. 

I would suggest researching the qualities of each grade as you can visually discard a lot of timbers that will cost you $$ for a professional to reject.

Jared

Jayson

I have a card for a guy I met a couple of years ago. If you will email me I will take a look for that number. If you know of a local log home manufacturer you may get some info from them. As a matter fact you may save a little money if you can schedule your stuff when he's close by. just a thought

Don P

Timber Products Inspections (look for TP stamps, they're everywhere) out of Conyers GA has graders throughout the country that will come out for roughly the prices Jared quoted. I think that's who Jared's talking about. They have a website, google the whole name. If you don't see an appropriate page or # hit the training page and email Rick Patrick. They are listed for log (one of only 2) and timber. I'll try to find more info, just got in from 3800 miles of driving. Ditto what Jayson said, if you can wait till its on his rounds it'll save windshield costs. Happy New Year all!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!