iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Maple

Started by xlogger, August 30, 2019, 07:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Awhile back I had some maple after kiln drying come out with more of a red tint than white. Now I see another load doing the same. Is that from not drying fast enough?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

This defect is called pinking.  It is the oxidation of starches and sugars in the wood.  This oxidation takes time, so it is indeed slow drying (high humidity and possibly low air flow).  It is encouraged by temperatures over 100 F.  Log storage in warm weather also is a factor.  The issue is most likely occurring the first 48 hours of drying, but could last longer.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Southside

Gene -

Does the same thing happen in pine? Now and then I will see that pink in SYP and it survives the kiln.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Yes, in pine it also occurs, but to my eyes it is more brown than pink.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

xlogger

Thanks Gene,I'm going to saw up a nice Ambrosia Maple next week. Its going to be around 90° I'll put it in front of fans.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Ambrosia fungi require that some drying has occurred, so it is very likely that the color reaction, if any, has already occurred as well. 

Thank You Sponsors!