iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

setworks for my woodmizer

Started by DansSawmill, July 11, 2005, 02:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DansSawmill

hello all,
back tinkering in the workshop again.
anyone care to tell me what model temposonic linear transducer they have on thier mill ?
i'm thinking of making my own setworks.. i know woodmizer has some for about 2500 but i've made my own log lifter, and clamp, and as this maching has become a hobby, cant justify the 2500
plus i just like to tinker  :D
anyways i'm planning on using a basic stamp microprocessor with a 16 key keypad for the core of it. i have seen several different types of sensors but i like the temposonics rod type.
prolly will end up spending a half a year on it and have some fun tinkering.
thanks,
keep on sawing
dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

woodbowl

Hey Dan,
     I would like to out smart having to buy set works as well. Your way ahead of me in building the electronics though. I've got as far as attaching the doo hicky to the thing-a-mu-bob next to the wha-cha-ma-call-it. Gona' need to study up more on them tumpdosolilik limur trainsducksters......So............instead I may go to limit switches. I understand that there a lot less expensive, simple as pie and almost as fast in the hands of a good sawer.  My reasoning is, I have always been thinking about the next number anyway as my sawhead is making the trip down. I've got plenty of time to set for my next cut. "if it will work this way" I may have to return the head before I can set, not sure. ..........Please keep us posted.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Jason_WI

Dan,

If need help with the basic stamp programming or if you want to use basic on a Microchip PIC processor let me know. I was considering doing the same thing with my mill adding a setworks to it. I was looking at linear encoders from US Digital a while back. The temposonic transducers look expensive. If it has SPI or serial output it will work with the stamp with little problems. Analog outputs will require a A/D convertor and some creative integer math. Forget CAN buss-PIA on a stamp unless you want to spend $$$ on a CAN controller.

What type of display output you going to use? LCD will not work good in full sunlight. 7 seg display or a serial VFD display will work good.  E-Lab makes a IC to use parallel LCD/VFD to serial interface. A lot cheaper than the SEETRON serial displays.

A 74C922 will work for the keypad encoder or better yet a keypad to serial convertor EDE-1144 IC from E-Lab would work great. It also has a buzzer output for each key press. If your looking for a durible keypad these are relatively inexpensive:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=300&item=KP-23&type=store

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

DansSawmill

using the basic 2 stamp, and scotts 2X16 lcd with backlight and a 2X8 keypad leaves me with 5 pins left without doubling up on anything
looking at balluffs magnostrictive sensors looks like i could use a digital output pwm or so...serial would be nice but im not sure about the response time
i figure if i run out of pins i will just get the bigger basic stamp
of couse that keyboard encoder would free up more pins too.  :)
will look at that keyboard->serial interface... i'm figureing i need 2 pins for sensing up/down on the barrel switch and 1 pin each for the up and down contactor so i need to do something to get some pins free for the sensor
thanks for the pointers
dan
ps just got done ordering from those guys  :D
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too

DansSawmill

looked at that keypad->serial encoder.... GREAT !
got it ordered... thanks jason
i work in shade most of the time, if this lcd ( backlit ) doesnt work for me , i'll just rip it out and put something else in its place.... one of the pros of do it yourself.
dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jason_WI

Shopteacher,

It's elektroniks tekno babble :D :D :D

Dan,

Are you going to use DC gear motor to raise/lower the head?

If you run out of outputs you can use a 74HC595 serial to parallel output to get more IO pins.

I have homebrewed my own BS2p40 stamps. I couldn't justify the 100 bux Parallax wanted. I bought the basic interperter IC, resonator, EEPROM from Parallax and I etched my own board. I make these for 35 bux. I have extras if you need more speed, parallel LCD interface, and 32 IO. Here is a link to what they look like if your interested:

http://myweb.core.com:8080/photos/jbirnsch@vbe.com/BasicStamp/

They have the same pinout and the Parallax 2p40 but they are 3 times wider. They work perfect with vector board and tall SIP sockets so parts can be placed under the stamp and save space.

I have since moved on to using PIC's for most of my projects. At 8 bux for 32 IO, A/D converter, USART, PWM, and interrupt you can't go wrong.

I can etch single sided boards pretty easy, 2 layer is a little more tricky but I have done it. Let me know if you need something etched. I use the toner transfer stuff and I have a nifty etch tank.
Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Left_Coast_Rich

I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

Fla._Deadheader

Es realmente bastante sencillo. Todo estos tipos hacen, tratan de confundir la mierda fuera de cualquiera que trata de tomar este material grave.  ;) :) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

Harold, your in the wrong country.  :D :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

OneWithWood

FDH, sure confused it out of me  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DansSawmill

finally got around to this project again..
i have it all working with the exception of physically mounting it on the woodmizer and using the exsiting up/down motor...

so how many amps does the up/down motor draw on a lt30 ?

the part number is p12093 or pv281470

i need to get a dpdt relay so when i turn on the setworks, it will disconnect from the manual up/down
also need to get some solid state relays to run a h-bridge for this motor...
as a monetary deal, this system i've made is much cheaper than woodmizers, but i've had to learn microcontroller programming ( fun) and i f you were out to make money with the mill, a year's wait would certainly be worth the cost of their setworks
dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too

Thank You Sponsors!