iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can ERC be altered to change the red color when finishing?

Started by stanmillnc, August 09, 2022, 07:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanmillnc

Can eastern red cedar wood be altered so it doesn't have the red color? I've never tried wood stain on red cedar - figured the red would bleed through, but figured I'd ask the group here. This is an interior finish application. 

kantuckid

Yes is the short answer. It can be stained with common wood stains that will easily cover the natural colors. It also changes color over time from air & UV exposure, faster when not varnished. Many species are stained to change color, cedars no different in that respect. The staining process will likely kill some/most of the natural odor which some people like from ERC. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

the oils in the wood may inhibit even uptake so you will have to try it on scrap.  If left to weather, it takes on a grey appearance like other cedar, and I think then would be easier to arrive at a color you like on a gray base, instead of red/brown with white sap wood.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

Wood dyes are much are much better and more efficient than stains for drastic color changes. Darker woods are always more difficult than lighter woods, but with a wood dye you can do just about any type of color change. 

Why do you want such a change in ERC?  Just curious. 
HM126

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you put a caustic (high pH) finish or chemical on it, it will turn much redder.  Found this out when using dry wall compound and accidentally had a few splotches get on the wood and then they were wiped off.  It was in a court house in KY.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

doc henderson

Dr. Wengert.  Were you on work release down in GA?  doing dry wall at the courthouse! :o   :)  good info.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stanmillnc

Thanks for the responses. I have not yet tried to alter ERC color, but will probably go the route of wood dye as opposed to stain as was suggested. I've used dye successfully to change walnut sapwood to the color of the heartwood. @btulloh, the only reason I was going to do this was because I had a customer who liked the look of one of my cedar fireplace mantles, but didn't like the red color.

btulloh

lol lol People say the darndest things. "I love that ebony table you made. Can you make me an ebony table but the color of maple?"
HM126

beenthere

Quotethe only reason I was going to do this was because I had a customer who liked the look of one of my cedar fireplace mantles, but didn't like the red color.

Wonder what there was to "like" ? The figure? the grain? knot pattern? hmmm? Other woods have such characteristics. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

If you leave it outside for a month, it will all be gray. :)

Nebraska

I may have to try some diluted  lye  on some Red Cedar, just to see. I  have both lying around ......

;)

NewYankeeSawmill

Dug this thread up with the search function...

I have some Cedars I'll be cutting very soon. I have split pieces from these tree's into posts before (Ahem, SCREW THAT! I'm quartering the logs with my saw from now on! Holy hell...). When opened, the interior grain is very figured and has really nice red coloring splashed throughout.
How do I preserve that? (some of these logs will be slabbed/boards)
Within hours of splitting the logs and left in the sun, the red faded to brown. I have other posts up around the property for years now, solid grey everywhere.
LOVE that red streaking, but don't know how to preserve it?
First project w/ the cedar is some 1.5x1.5's to make mater cages like @thecfarm suggested in another thread - Would love to hit them with something as they come off the mill to save that red color for years to come? Can I just wipe the sawdust from them with a wood oil (teak, boiled linseed, etc.)
Thanks for the suggestions!
- K
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Don P

Old Greenhorn

Well it's unusual that I am disagreeing with Don, this may be a first in fact, but if you put a finish on it, it will hold. My process is to mill, then air dry out of the sunlight. It turns brownish and dull, then I skip plane it and stick it in the rack. When I make something, I plane and cut it for the project and that brings the fresh color back. Once built I put a finish on it like polyurethane and although it may get darker, it will still be red. The sapwood turns a little more yellow, but still a nice contrast.
IMG_20240113_170156426.jpg

This particular box has a tung oil finish on it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I use spar urethan that has UV protection.  It will peel in a few years and be breached if the wood splits.   It is great to use on a flat surface, and then every few years, I run the piece through the magic eraser (planer).  and then refinish.

NewYankeeSawmill

LOL @ Magic Eraser!
I think I'm going to get some kind of oil on them as they come off... Since they'll be garden stakes in the dirt and getting wet anyways, it can't hurt?
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Nebraska

I usually try to dry my red cedar in the dark inside, and the color stays pretty well. 
Just wanted to post one of Tom's nice boxes out on the shelf.  

Thank You Sponsors!