iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil 880 for milling

Started by Segerdog, August 12, 2020, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segerdog

Need to know all the in and outs from people that have used it. Looking at getting 84" chainsaw mill. How many loops of chain should I have with it? Should I have a ripping and a cross cut chain? What's the break in period like on it. I've heard some use a richer fuel mixture in the 880. Just like to get some real time input from ones who have used them. 

teakwood

I have used the 088 for many years on a CSM and have always used the same 1:50 oil ratio
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

sawguy21

A crosscut chain will rip, it just will not leave a smooth finish. A couple of spare chains will save sharpening in the middle of the job especially if the log is dirty. You may want to look at a debarker. As far as mix goes you are opening a can of worms, everybody has an opinion. ;D 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

Preference I guess, but I hate changing chains, especially on longer bars. If it needs sharpening, I just sharpen it. I try to have a spare just in case, but I don't use it til the old chain's done. I'm using a 661, but I start with crosscut chain, and slowly bring it to a ripping profile as I routinely sharpen it. Works ok, but I haven't studied the finish the various profiles leave. The stuff I'm doing is for construction type use, so the finish isn't a concern to me.

Real1shepherd

Just remember to NOT put a new chain on a used floating sprocket rim....it could grenade the rim.

Kevin

Segerdog

Thanks for all the input everyone. 
Just got the mill delivered yesterday. 
You read an 8' bar.... but Forget how big that is until you stand next to it. 
We have a local ace hardware that is a sthil dealer.... haven't really found anywhere else selling an 880 that is offering any better deals. They all seem to be about the same price. And being from Oregon we don't have sales tax😄

mredden

Sorry, no input on the 880.

But, I just got a 3120xp  delivered this week but I seriously considered the ms880 - seriously. Clencher for me was that I can continue to use the smaller bars 24, 28, 32, 36 and (occasional) 42 that I have been running on my 390xp. I will probably buy a 56" and 72" now that I have a monster powerhead. I don't plan to mill things over that length, but who knows what the future will bring

Chains are, of course, an issue but the bigger issue is bars. Big bars ain't cheap! Are you only going to use one 84" or 96" bar? That's whole lotta' bar ! Heck, I can't imagine even putting a chain on a bar like that. And sharpening such a chain in the field? Sheesh!

Anyway, I always carry two chains. I can sharpen dullness in the field, but sometimes there is damage to the chain that I need to address in my shop. The second chain keeps me from giving up in the filed and going home.

Maybe a milling chain and a regular skip chain for backup.

Cripes! How many links does an 84" chain have?

Real1shepherd

If you have the fixed HIGH spd jet on that 3120, there's guys that can put a HIGH spd jet back in that carb. At least it's an option.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!