iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help log weight

Started by tomtrees, January 09, 2009, 02:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomtrees

I need a little bit of help! I have looked at the forestry tool box on this sit and am trying to find the weight of English Oak or the equivalent Quercus Robor. It is very simmilar to the US White Oak.

The forestry tool box gives me 75 for Oak live and 64 Oak red per Cu foot.

Is this a lbs per Cu foot (I need to convert to metric)

Whitch of the two Oak live and Oak red?

tom

Dodgy Loner

Use white oak for Quercus robur (63 lbs/ft3).  If you type in the log diameter in inches and length in feet, you will get an estimated log weight in lbs. and an estimated log volume in cubic feet.  Just multiply the lbs. by 0.4536 to get kg, and multiply ft3 by 0.0283 to get m3
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Gary_C

If you are talking logs or green wood, both the red and white oaks are listed at 62-63 lbs/ft3. That would be 993-1009 kg/m3. Kiln dried is more variable and can run from 735 kg/m3 for white to 672 kg/m3 for red. More numbers can be found in Hardwoods of North America, USDA Forest Service, FPL-GTR-83.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

tomtrees

Thanx Guys

Looks like I dont even need to do the convertion to Kg.

beenthere

And here is a site with some metric numbers, and comparisons...

http://www.naturallyaust.com.au/11927.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!