iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sub floor problem

Started by bedway, November 30, 2012, 08:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

I have two bedrooms im finally going to get around to finishing. The person who built the house used 3/4 plywood over 1 by material on the floor. I want to put down 1/4 luan and then pad and carpeting. The question is the plywood has occasional voids in it and i want to fill these before i put the luan down. Someone had filled them with what looks like a morter mix or something and it keeps chipping out. Any suggestions on what to use?

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've down a bunch of work on the floors of my rental properties.So far I have used ROCK HARD putty to fill in gaps and holes, It has worked so far. I get it from Lowe's and Home Depot.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bedway

Anywhere from golf ball to pear size 1/16 to 1/4 deep.

grweldon

The Durham putty will work well.  1/4 inch deep applications will shrink while drying and you will have to apply a second layer.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Holmes

Usually they would put the pad and carpet right on top of the 3/4" plywood.  Gaps the size you are talking about are hard to notice under carpet and pad.
Think like a farmer.

GeorgeK

I think I would fill large voids but not add the Laun. I have put lots of carpet in places this year and small gaps do not seem to be an issue but check with a local carpet "expert"
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

shelbycharger400

water putty is nothin more than gypsum.

Carpet pad is usually 1/4 to 3/8 thick

Woodchuck53

If you are putting another cover over the plywood anyway, why wouldn't the mortar material be okay to stay in place? Luan will bridge this material repair no problem. Unless I am missing something. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

yarnammurt

I have been a flooring instaler for 15+ years, have instaled for Lowes for 8+. What they used was a floor prep, It is supposed to be mixed with a latex additive. That way it will not chip out and make it a little flexable. The prep is made by Mapie, it is sold at all box stores Lowes,home depot ect. Mix it like a real thick gravy with the additive that is for it and trowle in the holes. Pad and carpet no 1/4" needed.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

Al_Smith

That Durman "rock hard "is exactly like that ,hard as a rock .If you  get too much on it about takes a side grinder to smooth it out .

They used to make some stuff called "depenable crack sealer "  .The tile setters used a lot of it so it must have done the job .I haven't seen it in years though.

Now don't cheap out on that luan .Screw that sucker down with lots of screws .You'll forget about the extra cost in a few years but if you don't you'll listen to a squeeky floor forever .While you're at screw the sub floor down too .Some of those yahoos thought  an 8 penny sinker every 12 inchs was enough but it's not.--talking floor ---   

Thank You Sponsors!