iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What About Marine Outboard Two Stroke Oil In Saws?? :)

Started by weimedog, August 23, 2020, 05:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

I knew it all along,more of the great oil debate is on the rise . :D
Amsoil is probably okay but being rather set in my ways I'd be reluctant to use it mixed 100 to 1 .
As far as oil fouling from my experience more times than not it's from leaky oil pumps that use engine impulse to operate rather than fuel mix .Fills the crankcase full of bar lube .Runs like it's  burning soft coal .
I've got one right now that's an oil puffer but I think it's from a failed o-ring seal on a gear driven internal type pump on a Partner P-100 .The saw runs like a scalded ape but it certainly does smoke . I've got a bag of o-rings in transit and that should fix it .There's always a reason for things if you can find it .

Bruno of NH

I got some military oil at a place that buys from auctions. 
I knew it was much better.
It could be used in many application. According to the label. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

weimedog

So far my "bling" saw, one of those goofy kits saws built my way has digested 3 tanks of the semi synthetic "quick sliver" out board oil. Still runs. 32:1 :) When I run out, it will go back to a regular mix of mine. a 32:1 with a synthetic from a major saw manufactures brand. The rest got dumped in my lawn mower...( Big Dog, a red Hustler ) SO it smoke a bit but it didn't seize up and quit yet.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

:D I've got an old Ferguson TO- 20 with a big bore kit .It gets all my old saw fuel .Doesn't seem to mind it much .

ehp

WE ran shell XTC-50 oil for years and Im talking 15 to 20 years in all saws cutting in bush and on landing  , ran it at 20-1 with high test gas. Never had a single problem . Saws worked very good on this mixture 

donbj

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

My saws are all drinking free mercury outboard oil @32:1 with 87 octane, tuned pretty fat.  

I am big on idle times for cooldown between full load.  I CSM at about 3/4 throttle on the 395xp and pause for cooling quite a bit.  My home made mill vibrates too much for my hands at WOT. 
Praise The Lord

weimedog

Somewhere in these threads I think I told the "Wolf's Head Oil" story....a fellow highway guy just using any thing he could find that was needing to go away as two stroke mix. Needless to say the "black" scorched cylinder and then 2.0 with a ( Taiwanese) NPW cylinder were the eventual result. But he ran in that modus opporendi for.......decades. with his 272 before the 1960's era Wolfs Head motor oil reached up and bit the saw and strategy..... I wonder how many other "random" mixes it digested before the final demise?

AND some of the new "wax" based oils :) seem to be really expensive. But something is disconcerting when tearing them down and seeing the waxy deposit all over everything in the bottom end,  always wonder how much lube happens or not on startup with those oils. So I avoid them as well. Despite what I see and hear from the industry experts. No scientific reason...just gut feel.

I still like some of the semi synthetic or ester based oils in my stuff...and some of the out board offerings fit that profile. Husqvarna sold that blend for a long time. One of the Klotz blends, Bel-Ray's H1R, and a pile of others fit that.  I've always checked for carbon deposits. Since the 1970's & dirt bikes. Outboards too. Mixed right and the motor tuned right with a good oil ( of which there are many ) have had good luck so far going on 50 plus years.

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Real1shepherd

Well....everyone has a "story" about some cantankerous character using some horrific blend in 2cycles for decades without ill effects. I can't explain it....but pretty sure if others followed suit, you'd hear about problems.

Before real bar oil came out, we used to mix like SAE 30wt with diesel for 'winter grade' bar oil. Other guys loved to use used motor oils with metal particulates.....felt especially empowered because of the 'free' aspect of the waste oil. No one ever had any time to follow up on their transgressions and see when inevitable failure set in the oil pumps....or maybe they just traded before.

I ran Power Punch in my loggin' Huskies HARD.....and they held up well....much better than before PP. I'd still be using it today, but their website looks dated and I don't believe they've ever tried to improve their product much since the 70's. Oils have come a long way and PP should have tried to stay on top of the heap.....I think they dropped the ball. No quasi-synthetic oil mix from the 70's could rule today unchanged.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!