iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 stroke or rotary saws???

Started by Ironmower, March 25, 2009, 09:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironmower

OK, since I got your attention ;D, is any of the manufactures workin' on one ??? I love my 2-strokes just as much as the next fella, but we all know things are going too be very different soon >:(. Having alittle mechanical apptitude, weight aside, couldn't you gear-up the final drive to get the RPM up on the chain? Less RPM more torque ::).....................  I've always thought the rotary engine design would make a great saw,few moving parts and endless RPMs :)...............Have any thoughts?
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

tyb525

This reminds me of when motocross bikes (dirtbikes) were 2-stroke only. Then Yamaha came out with a 4-stroke, and everyone thought it would be a joke. Lo and behold, after a few years 4-stroke dirtbikes are at least as popular, if not more popular, than 2 strokes. I don't think I've seen a rotary one yet though. There are still debates about which is better.

I think it could be done, just might take some time. As far as which would be better, time will tell I suppose. :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ianab

It's been done with the Wankel engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teEREL4BMGo

Dolmar KMS-4 from the 70s

So yes it can be done.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishpharmer

Stihl is making 4 stroke weedeaters now.  I can see it coming.

Look at outboard motors.

I wonder if a Wankel engine would meet emission standards without losing too much efficiency?  I can imagine a rotary engined saw would be smooth running.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ladylake

Most likely will end up with direct injection 2 stroke saws, they have outboards and snowmobiles running clean like that.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ironmower

Ianab, can you tell me more; was this a prototype? how is it too operate compared to a "standard" saw of the same era? what size is it?................. and where can I find one to buy? Maybe yours ;D........ Whats your professional opinion on that saw?.....Thanks for the vid. & your time ;)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Ed

The Dolmar rotaries were a production saw. IIRC, they were recalled due to a nasty habit of catching on fire.
When one comes up for sale it usually commands a premium price because rarity and chainsaw collectors wanting one.

Ed

Reddog

Also if I remember right they where quite heavy for the power output at that time.

Ed

Modat22

Wankle engines do fairly well in cars the biggest problem they have is with the rotor sealing surfaces inside the engine (kinda like piston rings). These areas wear down in proportion to the number of revolutions and load over time.

The smaller the engine the faster it must rotate to generate the needed torque. Faster rotation, smaller sealing surface plus high load equals an engine in need of a rebuild very soon. I suspect the problems with the market saw where related to this problem.

Then again this in an opinion and I could be completly wrong.
remember man that thy are dust.

Ianab

The rotor tip seals were probably a weak point with the saws. They were in the Mazda rotary cars of the same vintage. But Mazda seem to have solved that with high tech ceramic material for the seals and are still making Rotary engines.

Catching fire at random might have caused a marketing problem as well, but that shoud be fixable.

I dont know of any current Wankel engine power tools, but you can buy a model airplane engine.
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1401.html

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ironmower

Thank ya'll, wonder why they didn't use direct injection for the new dirt bikes? The sound of my old '87 Can-am 406 air cooled Rotax was music too my ears smiley_hillbilly_tub_base. My "little" brothers both race motorcross, one rides a '09 KFX 450 the other a '09 YZF 450........ Nice bikes, but they're a whole nother animal. The 4-stroke 450's is what took over the 250cc 2-stroke classes >:(........They'll be sadly missed :'(
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Ironmower

Found this in my Farm show mag. the MYT engine;www.angellabsllc.com      Could you imagine a power head like that ???
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Thank You Sponsors!