iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I am looking to get into sawmilling business

Started by sbhbrett, January 23, 2017, 11:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbhbrett

I am thinking about getting into the sawmill business in east Texas.
First, can I make a living in the Nacogdoches/Lufkin area?
Second, I know there are a lote of different sawmill manufactures, but I don't have a clue on want to start with. What should a beginner sawyer be looking for to get started? 

WV Sawmiller

Welcome to the FF. My suggestion is to start back at the beginning of these threads and start reading them one by one and see if you come up with more answers than questions. If you are still interested go visit other local mills and see how they operate. See what kind of equipment they use, off-bear for some of them to get a better idea of some of the physical requirements, see what kind of space requirements they have and need for logs storage, lumber storage, milling, etc. See where they get their logs and materials from and ask yourself where yours would come from. See where they sell their lumber and products and ask and answer where you would sell yours.

A common statement you will see here is the fastest/surest way to make a million dollars in this business is to start with 2 million.

I don't know what local issues, costs and opportunities exist in your area but sounds to me like you have a lot more investigation before you can answer such a broad question. Good luck. There are plenty of people here who will help answer specific questions but try the rifle vs shotgun approach.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

carykong

Stationary sawmills around here are specialized and do not sell their lumber retail and have large investments in equipment.  Smaller portable sawmill service in our area is just about nil. If you wish to take your sawmill beyond incidental income, I support Sawmiller.  Examine your business model very carefully before plunging in with capital investment.

Brad_bb

What WV Sawmiller said.  I don't do it for a living, but for my own use now.  It's nice to start out as more of a hobby than have to try to make money.  It lets you learn a lot.   I can't imagine jumping into it as a newbie and have to earn a living.  I think it would be a sure way to go broke,  because at that point you just don't know enough to make money.   You don't have the sales or log contacts either.   If I were you I would do something else for a living, save up and buy an entry-level mill.  Then mill for a year or two to learn to learn, and start building a network of contacts.   Different Sawyers specialize in different things. Some in railroad ties, some in pallet stock, some specialty lumber like figured woods,  some utility lumber, some table top slabs,  some timbers.  I think it takes a while for someone to learn a niche where they could try to make money.  Even then there are no guarantees.  Doing hobby milling first will allow you to learn the difficulties in moving logs and lumber, disposing of slabs/scrap wood, using and maintaining the mill, what support equipment you may need or want.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ladylake

I should have started milling when I was 25 not 55, best job I've had.  If you have a day job don't quit it until you get some business built up, for sure get a all hydraulic mill with setworks plus a sharpener and setter will save you a lot of money, no worse than buying a new pickup and a lot better investment. I do a lot of on the road sawing 70% and 30% selling lumber for trailer floors, blocking and fencing and am more busy than I want to be right in the middle of Amish country, they aren't portable and I sell a lot to construction companys who don't want to deal with no phone. If you go portable don't piddle around 5 minutes opening up the log , that should take seconds and keep the head going back and forth. The biggest complaints I get about other mills on custom jobs is piddling around and wavy lumber.  Back when I first started I sent price list to about 30 construction companys just once and I saw for 5 on a regular basis now.   Run your old truck a few more years and get a mill.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bruno of NH

I've been in the building trade on my own
Started in 1984 got a mill 3 years ago this May
Milling for my jobs and others part time
Selling lumber just took off for this year
I'm building up so I can mill more every year
It's lots of work but I like it should of got a mill years ago
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ozarkgem

I went back to just sawing for my self. I gave up trying to sell lumber or saw for people. I had a guy show up last night. Someone gave him some free logs and he wanted to know if I would saw them for him. I said 40.00 an hr and he looked like he had been tasered. Couldn't believe I would charge him for sawing his free logs.
   I just took a load out of my kiln and called my buddy who helps me and told him to come and get them for free. Its not worth the hassle and cost to try and sell it here.
  There is a local guy who drives 900 miles to buy Red Oak. I have stacks of it. Won't buy here.
    My suggestion is don't quit your day job. Buy the mill and have fun with it. But don't count on making a living with it. It seems to be a hit and miss. Some guys do and a lot don't. Just my take.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!