iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yukon- Bison

Started by WH_Conley, December 30, 2009, 10:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

Seems I have became the proud owner of a wood furnace.  Says on the stove, Yukon, Bison.

Anybody ever used one of these? Looks like a big wood stove. Tried to find manuals and such. No one has emailed me back yet.
Bill

Highlander

WH_Conley

It appears to be an older model of their wood burning only furnace. I have emailed them for info and a manual if available, have not heard from them yet.
Bill

WH_Conley

Just got a email back from the company. They have not made that stove for 25 years. Might be able to find an old manual to copy. Said they are thinking about reviving that old stove, I guess more interest in burning wood.
Bill

Odie

Mr. Conley
I'm the proud owner of a Yukon Bison and I have my original owners manual
and parts manual. I can provide copies of each to you but due to  my rural
country location, I'd have to travel to have copies made and also pay postage
to your residence. There would be modest costs involved.
If you decide to have me do this, please email me for further discussion.
Odie

WH_Conley

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the offer. They finally got back with me on the stove. They said they were thinking about reviving that model.

What is your opinion on this stove. I will be heating a house of 1300 ft, fairly well insulated, some heat in the basement, that is where the stove will be.
Bill

Odie

Mr. Conley
I've had my Bison for 25 yrs. It was installed in 84 when we built our 1600 s.f. ranch home.
It's connected into our nat. gas furnace plenum (in basement) I have a thermostat for the bison right next to the gas furnace thermostat. I set the bison thermostat around 6 deg higher than the gas thermostat, when the bison gets hot enough it turns on the gas furnace blower and we're in business. Maintaining a 74 deg. temp is no problem. I burn strictly hardwoods and use about 3 cords a season. On 25 deg. +  days I build smaller fires and used smaller pcs. of wood to minimize creosote build up. I have a masonry chimney & clean it once at the beginning of season and for this year I just cleaned it this week. Our house has 2"x6" wall studs w/6" insulation. I tried hard coal this year for the 1st time and did not feel
comfortable using it mainly due to my inexperience. I do intend to practice with it though.
The bison still has the original fire bricks and grates in very good shape yet. I don't abuse her
and she still looks like new. I'm totally happy with mine. Keeping warm in N.E. Ohio.
Odie

WH_Conley

Thanks for the info. We have been using an Ashley coal/wood stove. The Bison will replace it whenever the weather warms up, to give me time to do the cut in to the duct work. We had a flue fire Saturday in the old masonry flue, we now have a stainless steel flue that runs straight up, no elbows. Had to clean the old flue about once a month, regardless of how well seasoned the wood was. I don't foresee as many problems in the future. You are better insulated than I am, 2x4 walls, will probably have to burn mine a little harder.

Thanks for the reply.
Bill
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!