iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resaws

Started by JBS 181, February 10, 2010, 09:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS 181

Looking at trying to increase production especially in the 1" material. Looking at Baker and Morgan resaws. I have a headrig that I make cants with and then send them on down the line and turn the cants into boards with a bandmill. For now my main focus is on 1x6x8 and 1x6x6 material. Iam able to lay two cants side by side when cutting 6" material thus getting two boards each pass on 8' cants and 4 boards on twelve foot cants when making 6' boards as twelves are cut in half. Question being would it be profitable to invest in a good resaw with a return? Are these machines that much quicker? Are the gas powered models any good? Might even run some 8" material through the machine as well.

red oaks lumber

depends on how much production you are looking for, at the very least you will need 1 more man. i looked into the runaround resaw setup, after realizing i needed to add on the building,hire more help,have more log inventory, needed more sources to ship product to, and spend over $75,000 i let that idea blow away like sawdust. the one saw that would fit my current building, that also has very good cut line speed is a double cut bandmill.maybe something to look into.
i probably didn't answer you question but, maybe made you more confused than before. if so than i did my job!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ron Wenrich

Most of the bigger mills in my area will run a resaw.  But, they are making cants on the head rig, and then breaking them down into grade lumber on the resaw.  A little bit different than your operation.

I worked a small band resaw a good number of years ago.  It wasn't for a long time, but it only took a certain sized cant.  I don't know much about the resaw you're looking at.  It seems to me that you lose some versatility that you now have with your bandsaw.  How long will you have the current market?

From a production standpoint, gang saws will put out a lot of material in short order, but they eat up a lot more energy.  Most pallet plants that I've been into have used gang saws over resaws.   So, it boils down to production needed and market stability.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jimparamedic

I looked at a resaw about 2 yrs that has 2 horizontal blades 10 or 12" circular otherwise it was like a band resaw. Trying to find it again. It would resaw 8 or 10" boards.

Cedarman

We use a 2 head WM that we put in 1992.  It has about 22,000 hours on it now and runs as good as the day we put it in.  It is used to resaw slabs for lumber recovery and resaw cants. You can get by without a return by stockpiling the cants on a cart and push the cart back to the front.  Takes manpower.  80% of our time we are running slabs.  It will take up to 14" wide.  Takes about 10 minutes or less to change thicknesses.  A few seconds to move the head and a couple passes to make sure it is the right thickness.
I saw 2    4 head units with runarounds sell in Nebraska a few years ago for about $10,000 each.  So right place, right time and you can get one at a good price.
Takes 3  or 4 people to keep up and we run 4 to 5 cants per minute.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

JBS 181

Thank you for the information. I was told that a gang saw is the way to go over a resaw but as one of you said they take a lot of horsepower. I am not a big operation and will probably never be really big but I would like to save at least a few steps at least in the 1" material 4" and 6" wide as yu well know there is not many board feet being processed each pass. From what I have seen on video and such these resaws look like they might fit my operation about right. Do the gas powered units have much power? is it worth the money to buy at least one with two heads? Is one with a return on it worth the money?

Bro. Noble

We have a single head 'Go Fast' resaw with a 20 hp gas engine.  We run mostly slabs and 4X6 cants to make pallet stock.  We bought the saw new probably 10 years ago for around $8,000.  It will take 8" wide stuff and will keep two people as busy as they want to be.  Paul H has one just like it that he uses for flooring and probably other stuff.  I've seen one of the Bakers in action and it looked like a good rig to me.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

wolverine

Stay away from Brewco to many hoses and fittings that are 20 foot plus pain in but when it comes to fixing the can tell much more but would run out of room  ;) ;)

Thank You Sponsors!