iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor Repairs

Started by jwilly3879, June 12, 2017, 08:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

Had to split my tractor in half, it developed a funny vibration. Turns put the only thing holding it together was the loader mount.

The spacer transmission between the bellhousing and the rear hydro stat had only two bolts left holding it. The side with the pedals was in three pieces, the other side was cracked down to the bottom two bolts.

Oliver05262

I've seen this on a couple of New Holland tractors; a TC33D and a TC45D. Both are owned by tree service guys and have to handle some pretty chunky pieces sometimes.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

GRANITEstateMP

Jwilly,  what make and model tractor?  What is the tranny configuration?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thecfarm

I would say a Kubota
That is what happens when you beat on it. I broke the bolts on a 2120 Ford. Too many BIG rocks. And I do mean BIG. Probably too many buckets load of rocks and dirt too. My poor tractor does not live an easy life. Most times it's working hard.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Riwaka

What level of challenge is that tractor to put back together again?

jwilly3879

The tractor is a 2000 Massey Ferguson 1235 with hydro stat transmission, front end loader and frame mount backhoe. It had 1200 hours when I bought it a year ago, it now has 1600 on it.

The housing had been welded before but was not a great design to begin with. The mechanic I spoke with said this is a common problem with tractors and FEL's, The bolts tend to loosen up and then things start to break. I have figured out a way to reinforce the connection but will need to modify the floor pan and will also cut the floor pan back so the problem area will be visible.

Fortunately I have the parts book and spent a lot of time figuring out the sequence of disassembly. As long as I do things in the proper order it should go back together without too many issues.

Thought about getting a new housing but the part is NLA.

GRANITEstateMP

Ouch, I hate NLA (I'm a parts guy at my real job, those letters are no good for anybody!).  That's too bad, at least you've got a plan of attack!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Riwaka

Depending on the numbers sold and how many have failed due to the same component breaking you might find parts through the wrecking yards.
e.g http://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Massey-Ferguson-1235-tractor-parts-s/68893.htm
If they want too much 'glue' back together and find  consider a stronger tractor.

JB Griffin

My dad worked at tractor dealership for 30 yrs.they sold Deutz, MF, Agco, Same and later Mahindra. I got to see a bunch of 35hp down compact type tractors busted up because the yard farmers thought they had a D8 dozer instead a little tractor.  The most memorable such occasion was a 1535 Massey with a 6in square hole in the rear end housing.  Dad asked what the heck he was doing he replied "diggin a pond". Ha. People just need some common sense but that ain't so common anymore.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

jwilly3879

Thanks Riwaka.

I had contacted several place and finally Warren from All States Ag parts called and he had located the case that I need and it is being shipped today.

It will save a lot of grinding, welding and grinding and welding. it would have been a major undertaking since all the mounting holes and dowel pin holes were egg shaped.

We have a plan to reinforce the weak spots in the housing and I think I should be reassembling next week.

I have a water line and an underground electric service to complete and was not looking forward to backfilling by hand. Then finish the landscaping on the site.

Puffergas

That also happens to Belarus tractors. Dealer said to keep the high lift frame bolts tight, just like you said. Tractors like to be tractors. Glad you found your part.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

jwilly3879

I discovered the last time it was repaired the original bolts were not used. OEM bolts have a shoulder that is a tight fit in the holes but the replacements were just common bolts threaded all the way which allowed some slop and the hardened pins between case and bellhousing were also absent. I have ordered the OEM shoulder bolts and pins for the replacement case.

Thank You Sponsors!