iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sellable Log length questions

Started by mf40diesel, June 15, 2017, 06:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

Hello all,

As states in a previous post, not new to woodcutting, but I am new to bucking logs to sell.

I have a small job near my house to stretch the ole TJ legs on, and hopefully work some of Too full Beer storage tank off my belly...  haha. My friend who is the local wood buyer/broker/trucker filled me with a whole lot of information yesterday of which I retained not enough.

The main reason for the job is to maintain the land owners view, happily the main species is oak to cut.  There are about 10 gorgeous red oaks straight as an arrow and at least 30" dbh. I'm told that with oak of that quality, a sawlog needs to be 9'6", but I should cut them 10'6", as they could go for verneer which must be 10'6". Then I get the best value.

I think I've got that. The mill that is buying the wood, will take other species in the same load, which is great, as I am not sure that I will have enough oak sawlogs to make a whole lot.

Would someone be willing to share the required log lengths for:
Hemlock
Pine
Fir
Maple
Birch?
Or any other marketable species in Maine.

Forgive my newbie question, I'm getting a chance to live my dream here a bit, and while the trucker/buyer is a pretty good friend of mine, I don't want to muck this up or enundate him with hand holding questions.

A $hitl0ad to learn in logging if you don't have a father or partner to teach you!  Cutting the tree down and skidding it is seemingly the smallest part!

Thank you so much
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

thecfarm

You need a spec sheet from each buyer. A sawmill that is sawing for lumber will want a 6 inch trim added to each log. A bolt mill,if they even are any more in Maine,need diffeant lenghts. I see woods yards are around the here now. Was not many at all when I was selling.
I know one I could cut for bolt wood,but they needed an exact lenght. Or I could cut them log lenght and add 6 inches to each log,for $10 less a 1000. I did the log lenght. Made it easier for me.
You could loose $100's by cutting the logs wrong.  Ask questions. All mills/yards can and are diffeant. The market rules the lenghts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

the best thing to do is ask the mills what lengths they want it cut   i know our soft wood guy changes all the time

mike_belben

What they said^

Drive there to the mill you want to sell to, get the spec sheet from secretary, sit down in office and read it before you leave.  If it doesnt explain what diameters and defects make up grade ABC123 then dont leave without scribbling notes.  You need to know what diameter, length, number of clear sides and so forth each grade takes in order to best buck your logs.

meet the scaler if possible, get his card if you can or if he is friendly enough ask for his work cel incase a question comes up how he wants you to cut "his logs."  A first name relationship with scaler is the best tool you can have, i go out of my way to chat up whoever scales at the highest paying yard so that i stick in their mind as a pal.  Once you cross that threshold the scaler will help you be a better logger.  They need you to do a good job so they can keep theirs.

Itll be hard to get the necessary feedback on a semi load of wood.  I think youd be well served to bring in a car trailer or pickup load of small diameter stuff to see how you did then go back to the better wood.   Walk along with the scaler and ask questions every time.  Theres a lot to know.  Personally i leave 6" trim on everything.  Some stuff they want 3 some they want 6.  You never find out till you leave it too short.
Praise The Lord

Stoneyacrefarm

I've recently done basically the same thing you are doing.
I had the log buyers all come out to my land walk the land with me and see what I had to cut, and gave me their price sheets.
The good part about that was I learned a lot from each of them about how they wanted what species cut and where it was going.
I recommend you do that if you can.
You will be amazed at what they will share with you for information.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

mf40diesel

Thank you all for the info. So much to learn. I'm going to go see my buyer tomorrow or early next week and try to learn as much as I can.

The most fun is dropping trees and driving the skidder, but you've got to make the most money to make it all worth it for sure.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

mike_belben

Definitely. 

Learn all you can about tie log specs.  Theyre the best pay i can get on a lot of my top logs, which also add up to the most volume of logs i can produce.  Covered in knots on all 4 sides.  I only get 8ft doyle on a 9'3 log but its firewood otherwise.  A switch tie has a better rate still if its 16'6 red or white oak and i get paid for all 16ft.  Pretty often on low grade trees its profitable to shorten my butt log to make a switch tie above it.  Need the spec sheet to be certain.
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

in this part of the country unless the hw in perfect 8'6"is usually the best. the fir i cut 12' 4" top

Thank You Sponsors!