Sponsors:

visual indication of a barberchair possibility

Started by Lorenzo, January 26, 2015, 05:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

What makes it apparent when you walk up to a tree and your first thought is

" This might barberchair on me"

What are you seeing?

Just wondering if there are tattle tail signs.

clww

Each one is different, so very hard to give a general "one-size-fits-all" response. I will say the ones that worry me most are a very pronounced lean, and a tree that is hollow on the side I want it to fall towards.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

QuoteWhat makes it apparent when you walk up to a tree and your first thought is

" This might barberchair on me"

What are you seeing?

Has a lot of lean to it.. I'd say is #1.

Then seams up the trunk (stem) show weakness. But mostly is lean. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Southside

Lean or rot is a big sign as the tree begins to fall before you have set the hinge.  Bore cutting behind a small notch helps to give you a better chance for success.  Species can also be an indicator, around here a leaning ash is a very high candidate to chair. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

A lot of lean + a thick hinge = barber chair.  It is both the way the tree has grown and also how you cut it from my experience.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

A leaning Black Locust is a prime candidate.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I did not even know they had Black Locust in Mississippi. We have them here and great for fence posts and barn poles but they will splinter on you. My son and I cut a medium red oak at his place a year or so ago. It has a little lean and we hooked a long cable to it and he pulled it with his tractor. Apparently he put too much tension on it and we did not know it had heart rot till it chaired off about 12', just missed me and punched a hole in his tractor shed roof. Indicators there were the lean and the dark wet area on the stump. Combined with the extra strain pulling it added to the risk.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I have a real nasty leaner to fell.  A very old shortleaf pine.  Walked away from it yesterday.  Did not have that right feeling.  The little voice said to walk away. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lorenzo

Thanks guys,  Those were all great response's and lots of good advice.
I will use them wisely.

BEEMERS

The leaners are the obvious ones.The ones that get you are the ones that you dont see.a straight up and down tree will barberchair if it has a top is heavy enough in the falling direction. they foo you ,you think its an easy one and it gets you.You have to study all the physics involved all the way up.
Ive cut straight trees with small notches,keeping the hinge to the outside of the wood,no top lean and no problem perfect falls then it got quite a bit colder and they all started to barber chair.A bigger notch took care of that.
Anything in question at all use a bore cut its the only barberchair stopper I know of.Ive had guys tell me about a chain and binder tight as you can get it just up the trunk from the cut....I wouldn't ..sounds like it might help...but I see other problems that could make it a recipe for disaster.

BradMarks

Leaners and species. Leaners and species.  Out here it is alder.

Thank You Sponsors!