iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

We never had a brown thrasher last year, but hope to see one this year. I'm on the very edge of the range, some years we don't see one.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

We've got a turkey hanging around. First one is back in the back field, this shot is from probably 500 feet away, the second one it's about to play in the creek about 300 feet away. I assume it's the same one but not positive. 

20240427_152250.jpg

20240427_152330.jpg
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SwampDonkey

Been seeing a few turkeys out by work in old fields, some with alder, so they can run around through that to their hearts content.  ffcheesy

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Yesterday when I got back from town, there were  two Rosebreasted Grossbeaks in the bird feeder!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

Lots of woodpeckers at the camp over the weekend, lots of pecking and calling.

There was also eagles, a northern harrier and an osprey flew by and dove in the water for a fish but came up without the fish.

woodroe

Found a mourning dove sitting in a nest in a fir tree along
a foot trail. 5' away from the trail and doesn't move.
Ill get a picture next time through.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

thecfarm

One year we thought we had about 20 turkeys. kept seeing a flock of about 20.
Then we saw 40 turkeys.  :wink_2:
I found a turkey nest one year. I was leveling out a place and she kept doing the broken wing trick. I finally found the nest and kept checking on the nest until it was empty, then I went back to my project.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

A couple days ago there were 3 Toms with some hens in a far off field. Probably 1/2 a mile out from the house toward Maine. Looked like bigger animals at first until the binoculars revealed that some were close together to make them look like big critters, like bears.  ffcheesy

Did see a bear yesterday on a powerline corridor. Never ventured to the back of the woodlot near that bear den, might be cubs around there. I don't feel energetic to run from momma. I've never seen a bear den on the woodlot before and I walk all over the place, something you can't really miss. Technically it's on my cousin's lot by 5 feet. ffcheesy And in blowdown.

Chuck White

Saw my first Hummingbird yesterday, that's the earliest I've ever seen one, here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doc henderson

we are getting orioles...
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

I've not seen any bobolinks yet. Grass isn't very tall yet for them to nest in either.

No hummers up my way yet. No yard flowers except narcissus just opening. Lilac a long ways from flowers, same for weigela. I do have fly honeysuckle leaved out and I'd guess flowers to.

aigheadish

I saw my first hummingbird on the same day Chuck did! The wife put out the feeders a week or so ago but that was the first one I'd seen.

I also tagged an American Goldfinch on Merlin so I know what it's called.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Chuck White

Yesterday, about an hour before dark I had a Baltimore Oriole come in to the feeder and he ate grape jelly for about 5 or 6 minutes!

Saw him/one again about an hour ago this morning!

aigheadish

When we RV'd last year we saw what I think was an Oriole in a campground near Niagara Falls, it was cool and I'd never seen one before. Too cool. I'll have to see if I can find a picture. What neat colors! 

20240503_135503.jpg

Old saw fixer

I miss hearing the Bob White quail and the whippoorwills....  been a few years since they've been around.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

SwampDonkey

Used to notice the orioles a few years ago, hardly see one now. They seemed to like the thickets and those ever sprawling bushy box elder trees. Those box elders around here were as wide a crown as they were tall, always breaking limbs off in the winds. Finally the '98 ice storm did most of them in around here on people's lawns.

thecfarm

I had a few hear for a couple years. 
We did not see any last year.
Some years we see them come for a week and then gone.
I find out that grape jelly works the best for me.
We still try oranges, but that don't seem to work for them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

No hummers yet I have 2 feeders out.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

The Orioles are becoming regulars, in and out a lot.

I only see a hummer once in a while, maybe 6-8 times a day!

Racoon's been bothering my Oriole feeder during the night, so I started putting the feeder in the refrigerator on the back deck at dark!

Peter Drouin

Just had a Hummer show up ffsmiley How often do you change the sugar water? I put 4 cups of boiling water add 1 cup of sugar and let it cool. fill the feeder and Put the rest in the frig.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SwampDonkey

We change the mixture every 5 or 6 days. Never get more than a couple pairs that I can tell, and they only allow themselves to feed one at a time here. I've seen some feeders where 3 or 4 feed at a time. They don't like doing that here. 'It's all mine!!" :D

Chuck White

I usually fill my feeders to about half, and put the rest of the mixture in the fridge!

About the 5-6 day point I empty, do a light wash then refill to half!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

caveman

We've seen some different birds over the past few weeks.  While hauling a load of slabs to the burn pile a few weeks ago, I saw a peacock sitting on the fence by the driveway.  Saturday, after edging a whack of flitches, John noticed a banded carrier pigeon walking around under the edger, not at all afraid of us.  It must have been resting.  It was gone a short time later.

John recognized it right away as a carrier pigeon since his granddaddy used to have a bunch of them.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!