iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood trailer/log splitter combo

Started by bartman, December 13, 2014, 10:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartman

Last year we built a wood trailer/log splitter combo. This year we did some improvements to it. We used it last year and realized it needed some help. I thought I would post up some pictures of the build from start till now. Just got home from the shop after our latest improvements.
It all started last year when we got a 79 gmc in to work on. The owner had told us to get it running. He had trailered it there. Well, when I opened the hood a lot of parts were missing from the motor to include one of the heads. I called him and he wasn't aware of this, someone had pulled parts not to his knowledge. So decided to junk it. I called the boneyard I used and got him a price. They were coming on friday to get it. Friday morning I walked around this truck and realized the bed was in great shape. I had a 78 chevy 4wd heavy half frame for a project I had ended up selling so the wheels got to turning, I called the boneyard and they told me they would be there at noon to get the truck, If I could have the bed off by then it was mine. So we pushed it in the shop and used the hoist to pull the bed, wheeled that truck out and slid my 78 frame under it. We started on it that night at 5pm and by 8 pm saturday night, it was finished. We had bought a roper IV splitter from someone for $200 and attached that to the tounge of the trailer, some rustoleom and stencils and she didn't look to bad. Heres some pictures of the build.

bartman

bartman

bartman

bartman

bartman

bartman

bartman

we took it out and it worked fine. The roper IV was not a big splitter by any means. We had changed the original 4hp motor with a 5hp. This thing just had a single stage pump and was super slow. If you got into a tough piece of oak or elm it would bog down bad and the I-beam would bend downwards at the end. We also noticed the push block and splitting edge was to short. So this year we did some modifying to it. We also built another splitter this year too, which we just finished, its the bigger boy and pulls behind the truck. So this one is the back up splitter or spare if we got enough guys to run 2. I didn't want to stick a lot of money in this one. Tried to cut corners where I could. I did buy a 11gpm 2 stage pump. A buddy gave me a 8 hp briggs that was attached to a generator that didn't work anymore. I had to cut off the armature and had to cut a key slot in the shaft, I bought a new and bigger lovejoy also. We ran it tonight and it went right thru even the tough knarly logs. We're going to build tables yet, but I think it will be a huge improvement. Here's some more photo's

bartman

Here's a shot of the push plate before we did anything to it. In the back ground you can see the new pump and lovejoy and the "fancy" home made bracket we made out of some scrap steel I had laying around.

bartman

Here's a shot of the cutting wedge before we did any fabbing.

bartman

I ended up welding a block on top of the original push block and some narrow side pieces. I have a bucket of gussets I use and I was lucky to find a pair that matched up good with the original ones.

Then I welded some stretched steel on the front side to help keep the logs from sliding up wards.

bartman

Just happened to have an old axe head laying around.

so I cut the back side off the axe and welded a support piece on top of the original splitting edge.

nice fit.

finished

bartman

Next we worked on bracing the outer I-beam. I used one piece of 1.5x1.5 tube and 2 huge gussets . built a bridge so to speak

bartman

last we put angle iron on the back of the wedge to help open up the log as it pushes thru. We did get rid of the down push on the I-beam, but a tough log and it would twist, so we also welded a plate out on the end of the I-beam to "tie" the corners together and hopefully stop twist.....worked like a charm

bartman

I forgot to mention, we also got rid of the 1 gallon fluid tank, we used a air tank off a dump truck, it had the inlet and outlet threaded holes and I cut the top off a chevy power steering pump resivoir and welded it on for a fill cap. worked like a charm but I just realized I didn't take any photos of this. It holds 5 gallon of fluid with a space of about a gallon on top for foaming

Nichols

Good job Bartman. Nice build and a very handy unit!   smiley_hellow_im_here
If Balein' wire and Duck tape ever quit, my whole place is gonna fall apart!

bartman

Thank you, we're not done yet. We quit and had a few cold ones and discussed plans for a table. gonna do some more thinking on this one.

bartman

Quick update. Just got home from the shop. We redid the exhaust coming off the motor. We fixed the running issue with the 8 hp motor, (felt like idiots after, venting issue, drilled a hole in the gas cap, kept running out of fuel). and we built a new table for the logs. Gotta get to bed, the boy and a friend went out and checked out a cut, walnut, oak, cherry, elm. We're cutting tomorrow. Gonna give the old girl a test run. I will take pictures and post when we're all done.

Busy Beaver Lumber

That is a truly innovative trailer build. I applaud your ingenuity. Well done and very functional design
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

clww

That is one "Bad Axe" build! I love it! 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!