Sponsors:

Boxing Day

Started by dgdrls, December 26, 2017, 08:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

I have been fortunate enough to be able to have it off for
many years,

For the members who do have/or take
Boxing Day off,  any traditions or plans today?

best

D

Magicman

I will admit that I had no idea what Boxing Day was/is.  A search told me that there is also confusion as to the actual origin or definition.  Interesting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

A mix of tradition and religion for sure,

Enjoy the day MM ;)

D

sawguy21

Lynn, that is interesting. We Canadians observe it but it is not a statutory holiday. Rather than the day with family and friends it started out as in England it has become a feeding frenzy at the malls.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Novascotiamill

In Nova Scotia pretty much everything is closed except drug stores,corner stores,restuarants and movie theatres. I could find a 5 gallon gas can for sale anywhere this morning!
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

starmac

Like MM, I had to google it.
I had in my mind something like superbowl sunday for boxing enthusiasts.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

DanG

Y'all go with boxing if you like but I went with football.  ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

To my Canadian kin, happy boxing day if that is what y'all say.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Never heard of it.
Of course I'd never heard of Troll Pie.
Or Pasties......or Yoppers until I got here.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

In NZ Boxing Day is a public holiday, but the larger shops  and malls are open, and have some sort of "Sale" going on. We usually just treat it as a "recovery" day from the excesses of Christmas, and sleep off the beer / chocolate / heat exhaustion etc :D

Anyone working Boxing Day, or other public holiday has to be paid "time and a half" (50% more) AND get another paid day added to their annual leave. So it's only the big retailers that open, figuring that they make enough from the gift vouchers and cash gifts that are burning holes in peoples pockets.

Personally we have a "day off".  :) It was hitting 28-29C on Christmas day, and we may have stayed up a little late, and drunk a few extra beers, playing "Cards Against Humanity" out on the BIL's deck.  ;D 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dgdrls

Boxing day 2020,

Excellent English Soccer matches on today,
We'll visit with my mom and family later today,

what's your plans today?

D

sawguy21

Clearing snow :D I did it when I got up and looks like I will need to again by lunch. My gf suggested we might go to the mall with our gift cards, not a snowballs chance in Hades of that!!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!