iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkey Hunting Tragedy

Started by Gary_C, May 07, 2008, 12:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Here in Minnesota there was a tragic story on April 19, 2008 about a turkey hunter that accidently shot his own 9 year old son in Sibley County. Seems the boy was told to stay where he was while the father tried to sneak up on some turkeys and the boy did not stay put.

Regardless of what the boy was told, the father failed to follow the rule to "know what you are shooting" and that accident is inexcusable and I am sure will be hard to live with.

However the story gets even worse with the latest news.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_9164847

Seems the father had a blood alcohol level of .06 and smelled of pot. The sheriff found eight full bottles of beer and sixteen empties along with a pot pipe in a bag in his truck. The father has now been charged with second degree manslaughter, reckless discharge of a firearm, no hunting license, and tresspassing on private property.

So I guess the idiot has an excuse for his stupidity, but it will be no easier to live with.  :( :( :(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

metalspinner

QuoteSo I guess the idiot has an excuse for his stupidity,

No, he does not. >:(   I hope he get what he deserves and more.

EDIT...

I should clarify my above staement.  An accident like this is horrifyingly terrible.  But because it was caused in part to this persons negligent behavior - drinking and drugs - I have no sympathy for him.   All my symapathy goes to the family left behind and to the little boy he killed. :'(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pigman

This last weekend near Louisville, a boy was killed by his father while turkey hunting. :( I do not the circumstances, but I just don't understand why people will shoot at anything that moves in the brush.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

stumpy

I'm a turkey hunter and I know what it takes to get a clear shot at a turkey's head within 4o yards.  That's why it's so hard for me to understand these situations.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Norm

I know accidents can happen but not seeing your target before shooting is inexcusable. I hope they throw the book at him.

beenthere

I also find it hard to believe that hunters are shooting without seeing the target...to the point that I really don't believe it, and just think it is their excuse, covering up the real reason...whatever that may be. Like the gun discharged, or it was an intentional shooting, whatever.

The guy who shot his 9 year old won't suffer enough, IMO. The 9 year old and the rest of the family are the ones who did/will suffer way too much.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

okie

Those children went to the woods with their dads completely trusting them. Their parents failed miserably, some people shouldnt be trusted with a pointed stick much less a loaded weapon. The charges on the feller in the first post are much too light, the man was under the influence with a child and a loaded weapon, that very poor judgement leading to the death of his son is worthy of the death penalty imho. But I am from Oklahoma.
At the very least he should spend the rest of his days in a solitary cell lined with his little boys photos and any other memorabalia that would trigger an emotional response.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

LeeB

I should imagine he will spend the rest of his days in a cell seeing his son's image, whether it be a prison cell or the cell in his mind where he has to live with what he did. It was tragic and stupid, and we all have the right to be angry and saddened by it, but just because the man smoked dope, drank beer and obviously is an absolute dumba## doesn't mean he's a callous, cold blooded killer.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

I was thinking, he told the boy to npt move from thet spot. Maybe the boy moved, spooking the turkeys, and the guy "dusted" him to teach him a lesson ???  I've heard of worse treatments for discipline ???  I could be way off, though ??? 

Any way you look at it, it was stupid. I feel for the family, not the Idiot. He has his whole life left to think about it.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!