iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

South Florida scenes

Started by florida, December 04, 2003, 07:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

Here's a look at some south florida swamps and critters.
http://www92.pair.com/soufla/slough.html
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

craigc90

Just like going to Florida without the travel. Those pictures are great. I was in Florida a few years ago and told my wife I would never go back unless I could see the Keys or maybe Okechobie I am sure I didn't spell that right but you know what I mean.I will never go back to Orlando or Daytona.
I did drive down to Punta Gorda one day and Visit my Uncle. Took a walk in Mangroves that was neat. I liked the cattle country. Just never go to tourist traps again.Pictures are great thanks.

Den Socling

Great job. I enjoyed the pictures and the captions very much.  8)

Tom

Oh, my goodness!!  That makes me homesick.  Born and reared in Ft. Pierce, I spent my young years between the Atlantic and Okeechobee City and North to Holopaw.  Cypress hummocks and "forever flat" plains are the most beautiful sight my eyes can behold.   It's all alive. :)  thanks!

Buzz-sawyer

Thanx for the pics! Hafta say I loved em...my kid asked me how you got so close to the turkeys...my reply was ...probably a hunter..liked your view and understanding of the woods and how the eco systems work!
I am going to buy a place down that ways in the boonies just so I can walk/wade too
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

florida

I'm glad everyone liked the photos. I sure have a good time taking them. I have enough for another 4 or 5 pages but haven't had time to make up the web pages yet. When I get them done I'll post the link.

craigc90- Punta Gorda is only 20 miles north of me and about 35 north of where I took most of those pictures. Mangroves are salt water while all my photos are taken in the
fresh water sloughs. Okeechobee is about 50 miles east of us.

Den Socling- Thanks, I need all the encouragement I can get!

Tom- I figured it would look familar to you.

Buzz-sawyer- Tell your son I use my cloak of invisibility  so the turkeys don't see me.   ;D  I took those pictures the evening before opening day year before last from a blind. One of my friends got the bird the very next morning.
Buy your land land quick. At the rate the developers are bulldozing wetlands there won't be much left before long. 10 years ago our hunt club had about 9 sections leased plus we had permission to hunt on another 5 or 6 and had access to another 14,000 acres of county and state land. We just lost 940 acres of our last 1300. We now have 360 acres of our original 21,000 or so thousand. Where I took the pictures of the turkey is now treeless and covered with 3 feet of fill dirt. You will be able to play golf there in another few months. The county and state land is still there but now it's almost impossible to get to.

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

DanG

By crackie, Florida, that was a jam-up tour of a cypress swamp, if I ever saw one. 8)  The photography and the narration are both excellent. I enjoyed it most greatly. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Nice photos. A little different than where we work, but, still familiar. Those tall roots are something we never see. The crown roots on the trees we see are all growing at ground level. We ARE working along the rivers, so, that probably 'splains why the difference.
  Just so's ya know, That there log that was left is "PECKY", note; BUCKS.  Look at the end and see all the little holes. You can see 'em in the pic.
  Thanks for making the photos available.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Minnesota_boy

I've been to Florida 3 times, but always as an outsider, looking at stuff from the highway.  Really nice to get this virtual tour with a personal tour guide to explain some of what we had seen.  Thanks!
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!