iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Antique Dozers

Started by Walnut Beast, January 06, 2021, 03:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

CAT Series 60 Dozer. Anyone have that vintage. A friend has a 1927 one. I'll post some pictures of it sometime

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

51cub

Me too. No such thing as too many pictures of that one
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

moodnacreek

Back in the 80's I subscribed to Engineers and Engines magazine. Restoring old Cat's was a big deal then and the Cat 60 was often featured. If I recall they where bar start. The first diesel was in a Cat 60, a d9900.

Iwawoodwork

If your ever traveling on I-5 near Salem, Oregon, just N of Salem is the Brooks exit/ Pilot truck stop on the West side of the freeway. About a 1/2 mile west of I-5 is the Oregon Heritage museum where the "great Oregon Steam up" is held and there are several museums  including a RXR museum, antique truck museum, and antique Cats, a bunch of old restored Cats or in the restoring process,  and a working circle sawmill. Very well worth going through it. Plan for at least a couple of hours to see it all.

hedgerow

A dirt guy 15 miles west of me has restored a cat 60 that his dad had bought new. My old Cat 941B track loader is close to an antique. There was never a lot of dozers in my area so there's not a lot of antique ones around.  

Walnut Beast

Not the greatest picture

farmfromkansas

Have a neighbor who has a couple obsolete D6's, he is still running.  Do those qualify as antique?  He has one rigged up with a box blade on the rear, that he uses to clean out ponds.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Walnut Beast

My friends other dozers.  Not really antique yet like the other one but the older CAT  open cab D 6 behind needed a few things to get running pretty good again and he really likes to operate it 

armechanic

I have a 1974 D6C I use around on the farm.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

Walnut Beast

Anybody run one of these 

moodnacreek

No but they are around and can be used on dirt roads. There are many brands. We have one someone took the tag off. The one from our town is still used on a private road. Cat made these pull graders also.

Walnut Beast

My friend said he actually did use it years ago

barbender

The Amish love them still, and I know a few guys that run around and touch up driveways with them.
Too many irons in the fire

trimguy

Yes , we had a larger one than that on the farm when I grew up. The township we live in also had one for residents to use, it was a little smaller. We used it for grading the driveway ( which was 1/4 mile long ) , making water ways , etc.

Wood Shed

I don't know if this qualifies as a dozer but this is my antique crawler.  Had it for about ten years now, it is a 1959 model John Deere 440IC.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Sedgehammer

I had a road grader that we made the front on a 3 point. That way one person could run it. I had a near 1/2 mile drive i needed to keep in shape. Worked great!

When I sold the place my older brother was suppose to get that (i was living out if state) plus 2 tractors. He didn't. Ticked me off.
Necessity is the engine of drive

moodnacreek

Quote from: trimguy on March 11, 2021, 08:36:37 PM
Yes , we had a larger one than that on the farm when I grew up. The township we live in also had one for residents to use, it was a little smaller. We used it for grading the driveway ( which was 1/4 mile long ) , making water ways , etc.
If the town loaned tools or machinery to residents today......... oh boy, who's the best lawyer to call?                                                    Have we gone backwards or what.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Wood Shed on March 12, 2021, 11:09:53 AM
I don't know if this qualifies as a dozer but this is my antique crawler.  Had it for about ten years now, it is a 1959 model John Deere 440IC.

Looks pretty nice!!!! As straight as that is a little sandblasting and paint and it would look brand new

hedgerow

When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's we had a Adam's brand of old pull type grader at my folks small truck stop we would blade around there and out at our fuel bulk station with it. The town guys would hook it up in the spring and touch up some roads around the town with it. I think it was sometime in the late seventy's it got scraped and a twelve foot pull type box scraper took its place.  

Corley5

Our Adams.  Works good 8) 8)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!