iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmaster W612 purchase opinions? Need a quick response

Started by Old Greenhorn, November 06, 2020, 09:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

A woodmaster W612 just came up on marketplace, 220V, single Phase older model. The guy wants $200. for it and it seems like an upgrade for me. I have to move quick if I want it. 
 Can anyone tell me if they have one and how it works? It would replace my dewalt lunch box planer which I am none too happy with except for small stuff. Do you think the prioce is right?
 Thanks all.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

alan gage

Don't know anything about it other than what I saw from a quick google search. Looks like real planer with a real motor compared to the lunchbox style. If the machine is good shape and you have the room it's hard to see how you can go wrong. Looks similar to the foley/belsaw.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

Quote from: alan gage on November 06, 2020, 09:48:55 AMLooks similar to the foley/belsaw.

Well duh, of course it looks similar, it is the same planer.

In your original post I'd read Woodmizer rather than Woodmaster so I was a little confused.

Anyway, I've got pretty much the same planer in 12" as well. Haven't used it yet because soon after I picked up I found a much newer 18". The 12" is a nice planer though and easy to work on and most parts are still available. Most could probably be sourced from a good hardware store.

You'll love the deeper depth of cut.

I paid $300 for mine a few years ago and drove 4 hours round trip to get it.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

Deleted - It's a rough morning and technology is besting me.

Old Greenhorn

I got it all Al, I was reading as you were posting. Thanks. I have an appointment to see/pick it up tonight. It's about a 40 minute drive. If nothing else I hope it will blow away the lunch box planer which is driving me nuts after a career of running full sized commercial 3 phase machines.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

alan gage

I think you'll like it a lot. I used a dewalt lunchbox for a few years. It left a great finish and was perfect for taking 13/16" boards from the hardwood dealer down to 3/4". But when it came to removing real amounts of material, like starting from rough sawn, it took for EVER! I was so giddy when I ran the first piece of rough sawn through my Woodmaster and it came out smooth with one cut.

Of course now that I'm used to the Woodmaster I become frustrated with the low feed speed and wish for something that would take an even deeper cut. That's one of the reasons I keep the little 12" Foley around. By switching out one gear and chain you can increase the feed speed and since it has a huge honkin' 5hp motor on it it should be able to handle it. And I'm hoping the straight knives will be able to handle a little deeper cut than the spiral head of the 18" Woodmaster. It might be nice for those times I have a ton of boards to run through.

Alan

Old Greenhorn

Well, I went and bought it tonight. Its an older one and in rough shape, nothing came with it besides the manual, not even the thickness adjustment handle. It has rust, but not heavy. Did not get to test fire because the seller doesn't have 220. I offered $175 based on that. He said he had 2 more guys coming tomorrow that wanted it, one guy was buying all the woodworking stuff he had. SO I scoffed in the dust and thought about it, but then he said "tell you what, see that dust collector, I'll throw that in". It a cheap single bag, single phase, but looked run-able and everything was there. I could use a smaller one for the planer downstairs, so I bit on it. Nice fella, enjoyed chatting with him. 
 I did hate driving up there in the dark with all the weekender traffic and I was tired when I got home at 7:30 (been up since 4) so it all sits in the truck backed up to the shop. I will wait until my unsuspecting son shows up tomorrow to (he thinks) help me blow leaves and we will unload it then. 
 This thing is gonna take a lot of work to get it going after I figure out how it works. I will probably have to get some parts and at least belts. I hope you were tight about this thing Al, because your words are what tipped me over into the buy mode, otherwise I may have passed on it. No pressure. ;D I'll try to get a photo or two tomorrow.

low_48

Those things are built like someone built them in a farm shop. Lots of standard parts, no cast iron. That lift handle is really just some bent rod with a special end on it. If I remember correctly it just slides over a shaft and two notches to go over a roll pin to spin the lift chain. The only expensive parts are the head, and gib bars.

Old Greenhorn

You are spot on and as a guy who has fixed machines for many many years, I saw nothing that was not repairable at all. I think it is just neglected. As long as that motor runs, the rest should be easy, just a matter of spending time and a LOT of cleaning and rust removal and polishing up. Seemed like a low risk to me, but my time is worth something too.

sawwood

We have the Woodmaster 12" and paid $500 for it. It did have the sanding unit and some molding att. We also have two 18" units, one for planing
and the the other is set up with two routers for flooring. The one 18" have the spiral head cutter and will buy one for the 12". If you need help call
Mike at Woodmaster as he is great at helping. Woodmaster is a good company and have had little trouble with all 3 planers.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Old Greenhorn

Well I haven't had any time with it yet, other stuff going on, but I did get it on the floor this morning and it fired up ok. I do know the folks at Woodmaster have a great rep and figured they could help me out if I need it. First I need to take a lot of it apart and just sand and clean the rust off, oil stuff, and make sure everything moves. I got nothing with it and need to make a elevation handle first off before I can even try it out. Also not sure the condition of the feed rollers is good enough to run through. But I have looked at any details yet, no time. The motor runs and thing turn, that was my big concern. As you can see this one needs some cleaning up.

By the way, can anybody look at this photo and take a guess how old it is? Yes I have the cover, and a chip collection hood (with no idea how or where it might attach). I should start messing with it in a a few days.

21incher

That looks a lot like  my old Foley Belsaw but it used chains for the rollers. I used that machine  for 35 years and it had a much nicer cut then the spiral head grizzly I bought to replace it. I have a Makita wet sharpener that worked great  for the blades. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: 21incher on November 07, 2020, 10:30:47 PM
That looks a lot like  my old Foley Belsaw but it used chains for the rollers. I used that machine  for 35 years and it had a much nicer cut then the spiral head grizzly I bought to replace it. I have a Makita wet sharpener that worked great  for the blades.
Well I understand the Bellsaw and the Woodmaster are based on each other in some way. I am not a woodworker and therefore not up to date on such stuff. Right now as far as I have gotten was to lay the cover on for safety and fire it up. Everything seems to turn and move, but of course there is dust balls and mouse nest parts flying everywhere. :D Over the years I have done full tear down rebuilds on probably close to 40 machines, this one looks easy mostly cleaning, sanding, and polishing things up. Not sure if I will do paint until I find out how it works for me. Time is money. Get it working right and move on. Wish I had my Bridgeport running so I could make parts easier.
 Any chance you could pass along the model number on that Makita sharpener or a photo? I am not familiar with these. Kind of wish I had kept the surface grinder I had, but no really. ;D

sawwood

That is just like our 12" planer. We did put a magnet switch and new blades. We just use it to plane and the other ones to make moldings and
flooring.  I found some pictures of ours and you will see its like the one you have.

18" planer/molder

Old Greenhorn

Yup it sure do! Hey thanks for those photos! Very helpful. Now I know what I am shooting for.I have that dust collector hood which apparently was never installed. I guess I have to cut a big hole in the top, then bolt it on. Funny how the dust hood traveled with this machine, but not the crank handle. ;D

WDH

Makita 98202 1.1 amp Horizontal Wheel Wet Blade Sharpener - Power Bench Grinders - Amazon.com

I have this makita wet sharpener and it works very well to sharpen planer knives.  Since I have gone to carbide inserts on all my planers and jointers, I no longer use it and might consider selling it.  The only thing that I would need it for is to sharpen chisels. 

The stone is 1000 grit and you put the knife in the holder and slide the holder assemble across the spinning stone.  The water bath keeps the stone and knife cool. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Thats a slick little machine, quiet, small, low energy, and being oable to finally but a proper edge on my chisels would be really nice too. It's a bit out of my price range just yet though until I start moving some product.

sawwood

Do you have the crank tool or just the knob ?  If you get one from Woodmaster ask for the long bar one. The one that came with the 12" is to short buy the time you add the dust hood. Yes you wil have to cut a hole in the hood and just ask them to send you the templet. will make it easy to know where to
cut.

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

GAB

Quote from: sawwood on November 08, 2020, 08:37:46 PM
Do you have the crank tool or just the knob ?  If you get one from Woodmaster ask for the long bar one. The one that came with the 12" is to short buy the time you add the dust hood. Yes you wil have to cut a hole in the hood and just ask them to send you the templet. will make it easy to know where to
cut.

Sawwood
Sawwood:D
Does the templet also show the fastener locations?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

21incher

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 08, 2020, 06:42:28 AM
Quote from: 21incher on November 07, 2020, 10:30:47 PM
That looks a lot like  my old Foley Belsaw but it used chains for the rollers. I used that machine  for 35 years and it had a much nicer cut then the spiral head grizzly I bought to replace it. I have a Makita wet sharpener that worked great  for the blades.
Well I understand the Bellsaw and the Woodmaster are based on each other in some way. I am not a woodworker and therefore not up to date on such stuff. Right now as far as I have gotten was to lay the cover on for safety and fire it up. Everything seems to turn and move, but of course there is dust balls and mouse nest parts flying everywhere. :D Over the years I have done full tear down rebuilds on probably close to 40 machines, this one looks easy mostly cleaning, sanding, and polishing things up. Not sure if I will do paint until I find out how it works for me. Time is money. Get it working right and move on. Wish I had my Bridgeport running so I could make parts easier.
Any chance you could pass along the model number on that Makita sharpener or a photo? I am not familiar with these. Kind of wish I had kept the surface grinder I had, but no really. ;D

I just took a picture but WDH beat me to it. I have the same model he has. I had 4 sets of blades and sharpened them at the same time to keep them the same length. That way the screws didn't need adjusting after swapping out the first set. I have several different grit stones depending on condition of the worst set. Watch craigslist. I see one up buy me listed at a good price yesterday. When I first got the planer I had a machinist make a stepped angle block that I could just throw on the mag chuck of the surface grinder where I worked and sharpen all 3 with just a couple passes within .0001". Then I found a better job and bought the Makita. Sharp blades cut very smooth and will hog off almost a quarter inch.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sawwood

Gab no it don't show the hole placement, but when you set the hood you can use it to drill the
holes.

Sawwood 
18" planer/molder

Old Greenhorn

Just an update on this machine. It sat for a while, frankly I didn't need another project but I do need a better planer. It needed a lot of have cleaning and wire brushing  and the thread up feed rods would barely move. I got them loose enough a couple of weeks ago to trey it and ran a board through with good results, enough to encourage me to get going. So when glue ort finishes are drying I put in a few hours here and there. Got the screws fairly free but not perfect yet, the will get better. Cleaned the rust off the bed and feed tables, painted the tables, pulled the blades and hand sharpened those. Just need to wax the table. I just called Woodmaster and asked for the dust hood template, which should be coming soon. I ordered a new handle (Joe said they only sell one and it is longer than original) and the gauge for setting the knives.
SO when the template arrives I will get to work on that then button it all up and get to work.
Very pleased with this even though I had my regrets after I bought it, but its a little beast and takes a nice cut.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
 OH, I asked Joe about the age, he said those gray ones were made for Woodmaster by another company and they stopped that in the late 80's so this is probably about 30 years old. It was either left out in the rain or a very wet garage. Man there was a lost of rust and crud. ;D

alan gage

I cleaned up my threaded rods the other day and sharpened blades on mine last night. Need to order the pulley that gives a faster feed rate. I'm thinking of just going to the hardware store to pick up some 4" ducting that I can bolt to the hood for dust collection. Thinking I'll let it plane my flooring. At least the initial cuts. If there's tear out I'll finish them on the spiral head.

Glad yours is working out so far!

Alan

GAB

Quote from: sawwood on November 09, 2020, 07:56:04 AM
Gab no it don't show the hole placement, but when you set the hood you can use it to drill the
holes.

Sawwood
Thanks for the reply.
If the cross hairs for the holes were on the template then the hole locations could be center punched so you would not need to use the cover to locate while drilling.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

Actually those holes are so easy it doesn't matter. I drilled two holes in opposite corners and dropped the screws in, then just zipped around the perimeter popping in holes. The interference with the 3/8" threaded stud was more of a bother than anything. No big deal. It is not a rolls royce. I spent the entire morning searching got some brand new double roller heavy duty casters I bought years ago and never used. They would be perfect for this, they even have locks. But no way could I find them. ARRGGHH! Guess I gotta spend more money.

Thank You Sponsors!