iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wide Belt Sander help

Started by boonesyard, March 03, 2021, 04:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

I've been looking at drum sanders for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger yet due to some reservations. I used a friends Performax 16-32, and it works well for a small shop. We've got some large orders for trim boards and I'd like to run everything through a sander after they come off the planer. We have a Powermatic 201 straight know planer that does a great job, we will typically run 500-600 lf through at a time. The drum sanders just don't seem heavy duty enough to run quantities like that on a consistent basis (they can, but very slow). I've looked at the Woodmasters and wide belt sanders, but they're expensive, out of my budget right now.

I just found an old Powermatic Sander for sale. I talked to the seller and I'm looking at it on Saturday, but he couldn't give me a model # or year. He said everything worked, but the sanding drum leaves a ridge. He hasn't taken it apart, just doesn't use it and needs the room. I'd like to see if I can source parts (if required), and was hoping someone here might know what model it is and if it's worth the project. It certainly seems like a good deal to me. It is 3 phase, but also comes with the rotary phase converter. I can get the whole works for $1,200. Any help to identify or if you've had any experience with it would really be appreciated.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

btulloh

Not familiar with that particular one but for 1200 I'd buy it sight unseen in five minutes. 

You're right about drum sanders. Fine for little jobs but not much production. 

Nice find on that wide belt unit.  8)
HM126

scsmith42

I'd be all over that package for $1,200.

Before I bought my current 3 head 52" sander, I had a 37" single head wide belt sander.  Mine was a Pioneer brand made in Italy and sold by Laguna in the US.  

Typically a ridge left on a board is from either a bad spot in the rubber coated sanding drum, or if it's a platen style machine you could have a bad spot in the platen.  Hopefully the latter because it is inexpensive to fix.  With a bad spot in the drum, you have to remove the drum and send it to a specialty shop for repair.

Still worth the $1,200 even with the repair needed.

I buy my sandpaper from Klingspor, and they also have replacement platen material.  Send me a PM if you would like the name of a sales rep.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DonW

As a general rule sandpaper will be the most expensive tool in your shop. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

boonesyard

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to get on it. I'll report back when we get it.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Erik A

Looks just about like the one I got, although I haven't started working on it yet.  

tacks Y

Looks just like my SCMI or Sheng shan or some over seas name. Check the roll/rolls on the bottom for damage. Mine runs 2 with a felt graphite pad. Not sure what you would do if roll in nicked, steel w/rubber. Replace? I would think PM has them painted to there spec and they come from a common factory the Grizzly looks like mine to.  I had a Grizzly drum sander, made cabinet doors for the rv and did not see the marks till up and finished. The wide belt is a HUGE step up.   

tacks Y

If it will fire up run table down take paper off and look. Grab all the belts up you can, if loaded up buy resin remover spray on let set and hose off.

scsmith42

Quote from: tacks Y on March 04, 2021, 08:15:26 AM
Not sure what you would do if roll in nicked, steel w/rubber. Replace? 
There are services available that can repair them.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

firefighter ontheside

After a little research it looks like an RB-25.  That appears to be discontinued and the replacement is the WB-25 for $13,000.  For 1200 I'd be all over it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

boonesyard

Thanks Firefighter, that is what it is. I've been looking around to see how available replacement parts are, they are not. It's a fairly complex machine, but I can probably have parts made or find aftermarket bearings and the such if I need. The rotary phase converter is worth a bit on its own. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

firefighter ontheside

Ereplacementparts.com has quite a few parts available, but definitely a lot of parts said obsolete and not available.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

tacks Y

boonesyard

Quote from: tacks Y on March 07, 2021, 09:16:11 AM
Well did you but it??
Nor yet, the guy is out of town for a couple weeks and won't be in his shop until next week. He's holding it for me so I can take a look at it. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

Well, we couldn't wait any longer. The guy didn't get back to me and I had to get something going regarding a sanding solution. I ended up going with a new Supermax 25-50 drum sander. I know it's not going to give me the performance of a wide belt, but if I take my time it should be OK. Good thing I don't pay myself much  :D.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

farmfromkansas

If and when the guy gets back to you, buy the wide belt too.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

tacks Y

Quote from: farmfromkansas on March 16, 2021, 07:29:26 AM
If and when the guy gets back to you, buy the wide belt too.
Yes, World of difference.

firefighter ontheside

I just decided today to sell my Grizzly G0458 sander.  I don't think I've used it in over a year and it takes up a lot of space that could be better used.  If I ever build a bigger shop I may get a different one.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

boonesyard

Just assembled the new 25-50 tonight.  Seems well built for what it is. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Thank You Sponsors!