iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workshops

Started by rcolmansr60, January 15, 2005, 02:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcolmansr60

I want to get some hands on  timberframing experience. I would like to hear comments from anyone that attended the week long workshops at Goshen, Cowee or others.
Thanks, Dick

BrianSimmons

I talked with Cowee but they did not seem too interested in conversing with me or answering my questions about the workshop so I chose Goshen. It was a great learning experience as far as joint manufacture and tool familiarity.
Would I do it again? Yes.
One problem with their workshop is that you will work on an actual customer's frame but you don't really get a feel for the nuts and bolts of frame erection. There are some other workshops out there that take all the students and build as well as erect a small frame that later will be sold (sometimes to sell for charity). You might want to look into some of the other workshops if you would also like to learn more about the fit up and erection processes.
Good Luck

HARLEYRIDER

Hello

I'm a newbe to this forum, and want to thank everyone here for sharing thier experience.
I have been in the building trades all my life, and know the basics of traditional stick framing. My goal in life, at this piont, is to build my own log home before I turn 35 (wich gives me 4 years to learn, buy land, and build it).
I'm going to attend a big log building school this spring for 10 weeks, and hope to gain all the knowledge I can.

any advise is much appreciated
Greenwoods Timberworks

JoeyLowe

Hey Harleyrider:

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.  What school are you attending?

Joey
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

HARLEYRIDER

I'll be attanding the Pat Wolfe Log Building School this spring.
Hands-on is the only way to learn
Greenwoods Timberworks

Greg

A quick addition on workshops.

I spent a weekend last month with Don Weber at Handraft Woodworks in Berea, Ky. A super nice guy, an interesting guy, and a good teacher.

He is not strictly a timber framer per se, he would probably call himself a chairmaker first. But he does lots of green woodworking and blacksmithing stuff that could be useful for any woodworker.

Here's a link to his 2005 schedule. Coincidentally, I just noticed he had his Build a Shaving Horse workshop last week!

http://www.handcraftwoodworks.com/schedule.html

Take it easy,
Greg

Thank You Sponsors!