iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lookin' at another one.

Started by redprospector, November 08, 2015, 11:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Well, I'm going to look at another mill tomorrow. It's a LogMaster LM4. I'll update this after I lay eyes on it.
My plan is to find a good mill to replace my home made semi-manual mill. That way I can get into full swing on production, and hopefully make my business plan come to fruition. I then plan on upgrading my old mill with hydraulics to use as a back up.
We'll see how it goes tomorrow, I may wind up just upgrading my old mill and keep looking for another for a back up to it.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sandsawmill14

be sure and saw some logs with it before you decide ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

pineywoods

I guess you know that logmaster is no longer in business..shouldn't be a problem for someone who has built his own mill. They are constructed mostly of locally available components.  As for adding hydraulics, I have done that to 3 mills, got another one with homemade hydraulics in my shop for overhaul.  If I can help, yell..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

redprospector

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on November 09, 2015, 12:39:54 AM
be sure and saw some logs with it before you decide ;)
Yep, he's going to move over from his LM6 and saw with it for a couple of hours so I can see what she'll do.

Quote from: pineywoods on November 09, 2015, 09:21:19 AM
I guess you know that logmaster is no longer in business..shouldn't be a problem for someone who has built his own mill. They are constructed mostly of locally available components.  As for adding hydraulics, I have done that to 3 mills, got another one with homemade hydraulics in my shop for overhaul.  If I can help, yell..

Thanks pineywoods. Logmaster being out of business is one of my major concerns. This mill has been used commercially so I'm going to be going over it with a fine tooth comb (old saying). We'll see what it is.
As far as adding hydraulics...don't be surprised when I yell.  ;)

I've gotta get going or I'll be late.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

Well, I got there and they fired it up and started sawing.
The mill is a little beat up, but not as bad as the Woodmizer I looked at a few weeks ago.
The owner wasn't there but his son runs the mill anyway. The mill cut and ran very good. Not sure I like the log turner, but I guess that could be changed.

I'll post more on it when it get home. Right now I've got a lot of work, and thinking to do.

customsawyer

What kind of log turner does it have?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Grizzly

I spoke with Herman a few days ago and ordered parts for my mill. They are open for business but are not producing the full line up of mills. Ed is still with the business as well.

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

redprospector

Quote from: customsawyer on November 09, 2015, 06:55:11 PM
What kind of log turner does it have?
It's right next to the dog/clamp. They are similar to the 2 plane clamp on a Woodmizer. the turner is just a post that has 2 sharp points (one over the other). Get it about 1/3rd under the log and raise it. The "post" will rock back just enough to kind of follow the log. On bigger logs you can hold it with the dog, and get another bite.
I hope that makes sense.

redprospector

Quote from: Grizzly on November 09, 2015, 06:59:29 PM
I spoke with Herman a few days ago and ordered parts for my mill. They are open for business but are not producing the full line up of mills. Ed is still with the business as well.

Lyle

That's good news.

redprospector

Well, I made an offer on it tonight. He said he wanted to sleep on it, and let me know something tomorrow sometime.
I'm hoping my search is over (for a while at least  ;)). We'll see what tomorrow brings.

sandsawmill14

good luck with it  if the turner doesnt suit you its not hard to build a chain type turner if thats what you think you would like :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

4x4American

They are pretty good mills aren't they?
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

Well, it appears he's still sleeping.  :D Talked to him tonight and he said he would let me know one way or the other in a couple of days. I think he's got someone else looking at it, and waiting to see who has the best offer. I'm just letting my offer stand for now, and not going to sweat about it.

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on November 12, 2015, 07:29:55 AM
good luck with it  if the turner doesnt suit you its not hard to build a chain type turner if thats what you think you would like :)
I'm sure I could probably get used to it. If I get it, time will tell. I've got the parts in a box to build a chain turner for my home made mill. We'll see where they wind up.

Quote from: 4x4American on November 12, 2015, 07:35:15 AM
They are pretty good mills aren't they?
There are a lot of people that like them, and some that don't. I think that's true with every brand of sawmill out there. I can tell you that it sawed very well, and is built plenty stout. 51 horse Perkapillar engine pulling a 2" blade it will go through an 20" Doug Fir log pretty quick.
If someone knows of problems with the LogMaster LM4, or a reason I shouldn't buy one, I hope they'll speak up here (that's why I post these things). Otherwise all I have to go by is what I'm seeing.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Grizzly

Quote from: redprospector on November 12, 2015, 11:30:17 PM
If someone knows of problems with the LogMaster LM4, or a reason I shouldn't buy one, I hope they'll speak up here (that's why I post these things). Otherwise all I have to go by is what I'm seeing.

I have an LM2 and my experience is like this:
I rushed Herman and Ed to complete my mill so I could be home for Christmas. They got er done but I didn't give them time to do the test run that they like to do to make sure they got it right. I got it home and used it and all was well, but it seemed like I found little things like hoses not tied up quite right etc. Well if I had allowed them to do the test run they would have found them I'm pretty sure so I think I'm to fault on that. I got my mill shortly before their business troubles hit and that gave me a bit of a negative attitude towards their business but I also did not know the whole story which member bosco helped us all see. I have since been in touch with them to buy parts and to simply talk about the mill and have not been disappointed in the replies. So long winded answer is I see no reason not to buy the mill. They are well built, simple, and most important; repairable. Just my opinion.

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

redprospector

Thanks,
It's nice to hear another good report on Log Master.
I'm just (impatiently) waiting for the owner to get back to me.

redprospector

Quote from: 4x4American on November 14, 2015, 05:36:28 PM
51 ponies, good deal!  ;)
Yeah, the VW on the mill I have now is supposed to be 56 horse(I think), but it doesn't have near the torque of a diesel.

Kbeitz

If anyone is ever looking for a diesel sawmill engine check the junkyard for reefer engines.
I just bought a 51 hp Kubota reefer engine for $200 from out local junkyard.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ga Mtn Man

How did you determine that the engine was any good?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on November 15, 2015, 09:43:36 AM
How did you determine that the engine was any good?
It had very good compression.
And I did not have to pay for it until I tested it out.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sixacresand

............I have done that to 3 mills, got another one with homemade hydraulics in my shop for overhaul.  If I can help, yell..
Pineywoods, I sure hope you are teaching somebody young all these sawmill skills you have!!!!
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

redprospector

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 15, 2015, 08:32:43 AM
If anyone is ever looking for a diesel sawmill engine check the junkyard for reefer engines.
I just bought a 51 hp Kubota reefer engine for $200 from out local junkyard.

That's a good deal! At $200, heck it's worth more than that as a core.
I bought a Toro fairway mower from our local golf course last year for $150 (well there were 2 of them for $300 and I shared with a friend.). We messed with them for about an hour and had both of them running. Mine wouldn't fit on his trailer, so I drove it home.  ;D
That's the engine that's going on my home made mill.

Kbeitz

I'm putting mine on an HG oliver.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redprospector

Well, it looks like I won't be getting the LogMaster.  :( I keep trying to get the guy to say something, and he keeps putting me off. I even offered him exactly what he was asking for it.  ???
However.... :D I went to look at a Morgan portable scragg mill today. The company was taking bids on their pallet mill equipment. When I got there, the guy in charge wasn't thrilled that I just wanted to bid on the Morgan, they wanted to sell it all as one package.  :-\
Well, I didn't want to travel as far as I did without at least giving them a bid. So I did.
I now own a Morgan portable scragg powered by a 4bt Cummins, a Fastline Band Scragg mill, a Fastline resaw, live decks, and sawdust chains for all of the above.  :o
What the heck am I gonna do now?  :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: redprospector on November 20, 2015, 09:41:30 PM
Well, it looks like I won't be getting the LogMaster.  :( I keep trying to get the guy to say something, and he keeps putting me off. I even offered him exactly what he was asking for it.  ???
However.... :D I went to look at a Morgan portable scragg mill today. The company was taking bids on their pallet mill equipment. When I got there, the guy in charge wasn't thrilled that I just wanted to bid on the Morgan, they wanted to sell it all as one package.  :-\
Well, I didn't want to travel as far as I did without at least giving them a bid. So I did.
I now own a Morgan portable scragg powered by a 4bt Cummins, a Fastline Band Scragg mill, a Fastline resaw, live decks, and sawdust chains for all of the above.  :o
What the heck am I gonna do now?  :D

Make some sawdust???

Great buy.

Be Careful!

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!