iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing with steam power

Started by ElectricAl, September 01, 2002, 05:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricAl

Saturday I went to an antique tractor show.

There was a Steam powered portable circular saw in operation.
I was told the owners saw 5 days per week with this mill, using diesel power. They are custom sawing for the locals during the show. $150 per 1000.

One thing I did notice is the blade wobbled a fair amount when out of a cut. I assume the blade is spinning faster than it's hammered for, but in the cut it slows to the target RPM.
The Steam engine did pull down in heavy cuts.

Steam is fun for the weekend, but come Monday morning I prefer VOLTAGE  ;D

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bibbyman

Was this down at Mt. Pleasant, IA?

I've helped my uncle run his sawmill powered by a steam engine.  Now when the ol'timers tell you how hard it was back then,  they ain't kidding when they are talking about sawing with steam power! :o

BTY,  if you were in Mt. Pleasant Saturday,  Mary and I were only about an hour south of you at Bethel, MO.  We went to a sheep show where they had about a hundred vendors for wool.  Plus you could get a sign made that said "No EUE turns".   The town had one main street on HY 15.  Side streets were paved one block back and then gravel.  You could have put dirt over the pavement and shot a Jesse James movie or up dated the town a little and shot a Bonny and Clyde movie.  Ain't changed much in the past 100 years.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Bibbyman,

The Old Threshers Reunion, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.

Talked to Tim Batey,owner of BlockBuster. Nice guy.

Thinking about getting a log grapple to sort logs and sift the big chunks out of the burn pile, and move firewood. Possibilities are endless.

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

woodman

I'll bet thay do'nt have a slab at the end of the day to carry away.
Jim Cripanuk

WV_hillbilly

Electric AL,

What kind of job do you have in the electric industry? I was just wondering. I'm an electrician out of Wheeling, WV L.U.  141.Thats my day job but I dream of owning one of those orange thangs most people on here brag about cutting many whacks with. :)
Hillbilly

ADfields

He has an electric powered orange thang so he is "ElectricAl" I dont think he is in the electric industry.

Andy

Bibbyman

El.Al.

Well, that makes me mad. >:( Mad at myself as Mary and I intended to attend the Old Thrasher's Reunion in Mt. Pleasant again.  But we thought it was later in September.  We were looking for something to do close by and that's how we ended up in Bethel looking at sheep's wool. ::)

Did you tell Tim you seen one of his machines down at Bibbyman's place? ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Bib,

I told Tim that you had given a good demo.

I asked Tim if he could mount the chain saw off the BlockBuster onto the log grapple. This would speed up bucking and sorting. He's thinking that one over.

Hillbilly,

We are a full time, year round operation.
We electrofied 4 years ago after being portable for 5 years.
( Andy is keeping good notes )

Here is another shot of the Steam Powered Portable Sawmill.

You guys missed out on train rides too.

This photo was hard to fit into the 15k slot.

ElectricAl

Jeff

Yea, but you did an admirable job. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV_hillbilly

:-[

Well  Andy I must have missed that one. Guess I wasn't paying attention again. My Wife accuses me of that sometimes. She says I have selective hearing. I tell her I wasn't afflicted until after we married. ;D

Gettin back to this thread. There is going to be a Steam Threshers happening next weekend about 15 miles from my house.It's called the Stumptown Steam Threshers Reunion.For info call 740-695-6243. It's in New Athens ,OH. It's a neat place to see alot of old machinery still running.

Also at the Black Walnut Festival in Woodsfield, OH the 2nd weekend in Oct. They run a steam powered circle mill  . Something special this year they are going to cast the Monroe County Bicentenial bell that weekend at the festival. They are casting one of these bells for each county that has a unique theme just for that county. They will cast 88 of these bells on site by next summer . Should be neat to see a mobile bronze casting unit. It will be like you sawyers going to the customer to cut wood on site.

;D
Hillbilly

ADfields

hillbilly I think my wife sead I dont pay attention when she is talking but I'm not shure.  You see I was watching TV or reading or looking out the window or somthing at the time.  ;) ;D
Andy

Don P

Al, Have you got "Roots" in the midwest? your shop looks familiar :D
I appreciate the thresheree pics and think we maybe should keep a list of events, I love to watch old iron turn.

ElectricAl

DonP,

Yep, there is a cluster of "Root's" over here. Some are old growth, some are new growth, even a few grafted "Root's".

You know those grafted "Root's" produced some nice little "Root" sapplings.

Without a good "Root" base you got nothing.

ElectricAl

Thank You Sponsors!