130Max Trailer on the highway

Started by NewYankeeSawmill, February 10, 2024, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYankeeSawmill

Looking seriously at a 130Max Woodlander package with the 16-ft trailer, and I can't get a straight answer from the Customer Support eMail address. Their response was very coached in legalese and utterly useless! I couldn't find an answer from Google either.

Can I take the thing on the highway?

The verbiage on their website description of the 130Max trailer package says off-road capable, and doesn't mention highway (speeds). Google scoured up some language on their website describing one version of the HM126 trailer being suitable for the highway, but that's the only mention on the whole website.

When I emailed support they said local traffic laws vary, etc... and regurgitated the website language about off-road capable. I replied and inquired specifically if the trailer was capable of safely travelling under highway conditions (e.g. bearings and rollers, wheels and tires, etc.), I even stated I understood the local issues and was not asking for them to make any statements about that, just confirm/deny was the rig safe to drag behind my truck at 70 MPH's... I got no response back!

Sigh... fantastic way to start a business relationship!
Hey Woodmizer...?

But seriously, can I drag one of their things behind my truck at highway speeds, or do I need new/different tires? Can anyone confirm "Mine's safe up to 45MPH, shimmy's like an SOB above that"? I was surprised I couldn't find anyone reporting portable milling and highway driving with one of their units?

I am starting up a small sawmill business, and want to get a trailered unit to take it to jobsites w/in 100 mile radius. That's almost certainly going to include time at 70 mph, and if not, I need to re-evaluate a bunch of business parameters.

Thanks for the help.

- Kevin
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Jclarke

NewYankeesawmill,
I would think that 100 miles at 70 mph might be a little much for those small diameter tires... not impossible but the wheel bearing might heat up.  If your handy at welding you might try modifing a boat trailer that has  larger wheels .... the best part is boat trailers are already licsenced for the highway.

I used a boat trailer for my mill ... I have pictures posted on here .... I jist recently purchased a new larger axle with bigger springs ... I hope to use it for some local small milling jobs.

beenthere

New Yankee
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

I can't blame anyone for hedging a bit that you could drive their trailer or boat at 70 mph without being non-committal, given the propensity to sue these days. You need to make your own logical decision based on what you are willing to risk. Maybe get in touch with your insurance company and ask them to insure your rig for 70mph road travel. See if they also hedge a bit.  :wink_2:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Southside

I would not tow my Super 70 at 70 MPH FWIW 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

NewYankeeSawmill

Thanks folks!
Obviously there are alternate roads to every destination, but couldn't find even anecdotal evidence like Southside offered. FWIW Woodmizer touts their trailer as being highway rated (guess that's why it costs more!  :uhoh:  ffcheesy )... But yeah, I know a few bass-boat owners that always take the back-roads too, because, you know what I paid for this thing...???!!  ffcheesy
Thanks, appreciate the info.
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: Jclarke on February 10, 2024, 08:47:27 PMI would think that 100 miles at 70 mph might be a little much for those small diameter tires... not impossible but the wheel bearing might heat up.  If your handy at welding you might try modifing a boat trailer that has  larger wheels .... the best part is boat trailers are already licsenced for the highway.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear/get info on from the company directly. Like you suggested, maybe a new set of tires and/or wheel bearings, etc., would make the trailer suitable. Shrug, guess I'll cross my fingers, LOL!

At this point I'm questioning if I need to buy a trailer to trailer my trailer?
(not to digress, but I'm debating about purchasing a heavy-duty 20-foot car-trailer to help source logs and deliver cut lumber... that could do triple-duty and carry the mill as well).
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

rusticretreater

I would think that the trailers provided by the saw makers are for shorter trips at much lower speeds, just like towing a generator.  How many of them do you see on the interstate?

Also, the tires used on the trailers are going be low performance tires even if they are DOT approved.  They should really offer upgrades on their websites.

WoodlandMills disclaimer on their website.

QuoteCan this trailer be registered and licensed for highway use?
While the Woodlanderâ„¢ trailer is sold as an off-road trailer, some customers have been successful in licensing it for highway use as a home built or "ubilt" trailer. Every province, state and country has different requirements and it is recommended to check with your regions particular requirements firstly.

They also warranty the trailer for two years, except bearings, axles and tires.  So they know that the bottom end of the trailer is not all that great.

A second trailer to move the sawmill setup is a solution for highway travel.  Loading/unloading is the next big problem.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ianab

Is it practical to upgrade the axle / hubs / tires to something a bit more heavy duty?  The frame of the mill won't be a problem, and as long as you get the weight balance is correct it should tow fine with any sensible tow vehicle. 

I tow my little mill on a smallish utility trailer, but it's a ~500 lb mill on a locally built trailer rated for ~2400, lbs, and it tows fine. But the trailer has the hubs / bearings / wheels / tires it needs. Speed limit with a trailer here is also only ~55 mph. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rusticretreater

Woodland Mills uses torsion axles on their trailers which don't require leaf springs and bolt directly to the frame increasing rigidity.  You can't go too rigid on the axles or the trailer will simply wheel hop when hitting a bump.

Spindles can be replaced/upgraded on the axles, so there is that.  The other concern is simply stability of the trailer at speed and whether it will fishtail at higher speeds.  Better tires will help, but not much.

You would need to configure the installation so that the sawmill head is locked a bit front of the axle of the trailer to keep some tongue weight for stability.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

NewYankeeSawmill

Thanks for all the input, folks! ffcool

I live outside the Smokey Mountains in East TN, and there's quite a bit of builders doing cabin and rustic work up in the mountains nearby (where that 100 mile radius came from - just a round number that equals ~1.5 hrs drive). Of course there's 'work' in the flatlands, too, but from talking to local sawyers, the portable guys can get good $$$ if they're willing to go to the logs (aka some rich dude building a cabin on the side of some mountain).
I am hoping to find work where I drag the mill to the job Monday, cut during the week, drag it home on Friday? Or something there'abouts... I am just starting up, so most of my plans are fairly nebulous and open to tweaking as I learn from the more experienced folks out there. Not looking for 60hrs/week of work, either... ~ 20 hours of cutting per week is about all I'm looking for from this business-side of things. If it proves profitable I'm certainly amenable to more, but out of the gate I'm thinking part-time.

So that being said, of course there are side and back-roads you can take to any destination, but in my noodling and planning, it was one of the logistic problems to be solved. It can be solved, I just need to plan more time for transport of the mill. As I said, I'm kicking around getting a heavy-duty car hauler to go fetch logs to bring home to the mill (and I can also use it to deliver to customers). But like @rusticretreater said, how the hell do I unload the thing?!?!  ffcheesy

Sigh... so simple on paper, but when the rubber meets the road, Oy Vey!!! LOL! I think initially for me and my situation I may opt for the trailer mill package and 'see how it goes'.... Startup costs are a big concern for me, and I'm looking at it as either/or... Either I pay for the portable mill and take it to the logs, or get a stationary mill (cheaper!), and spend that $$$ on a car hauler to bring the logs to the mill.
I have to admit my initial thinking is the portable mill over the trailer. Worst case I limit myself to non-highway customers and/or add in time for the transport. 2.5 hrs to travel 100 miles vs. 1.5 hrs. That sorta thing?
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Old Greenhorn

We have a good sized handful of experienced sawyers on here that do a LOT of portable work covering long distances. Just off the top of my head is @Magicman  who does a bunch of long distance jobs, @OlJarhead  who pulls his behind a pickup camper, and @terrifictimbersllc who does a lot of interstate highway driving with his LT70 and can really tell some stories about roadside mill repairs and failures.
 These guys have not weighed in here, probably because they haven't seen this thread yet. Keep in mind the WoodMizer rigs have a sprung axle better suited to the road and is designed to set up fairly quickly on site. I am not familiar with the Woodland Mills setup up time or configuration.
 For sure, you'd want to have this figured out before you plunk down your cash.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 12, 2024, 08:02:34 AMMagicman  who does a bunch of long distance jobs...... These guys have not weighed in here, probably because they haven't seen this thread yet.
I can assure you that I have seen and read this topic.  Anything that I could/would have said or concerns that I have has already been said.  There was no need for me to comment.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Do yourself a favor and avoid transporting logs and lumber.  You just arent prepared for what DOT will do to you or what massive expenditure in heavy equipment and trucks is involved. 

Getting pushed thru a smoky mountain hairpin by a pile of logs that end up killing some kid on a crotchrocket looking for the dragon isnt gonna get covered by your insurance when you dont classify the insurance correctly because you almost fainted when you heard the quote for transporting logs, and didnt buy that coverage.

Bring the mill to the wood, and have the contractor or customer provide the log handling iron. If you habe to make some investments in highway rated axles, hubs or tires to do this, oh well. Its not that big a deal.  Bringing a forest to a sawmill IS that big a deal. 
Praise The Lord

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: mike_belben on February 12, 2024, 08:57:25 AMBring the mill to the wood, and have the contractor or customer provide the log handling iron.

Thanks Mike! That's making the most sense to me, as well. I have a good young man I was going to use for day-labor as-needed, said he'd come along for $200/day under-the-table.
FWIW, I do have a Class A license, but appreciate the advice on hauling weight! You're absolutely right. Forunately I'm good up to 80k lbs anywhere in the USA! :thumbsup:

Say where'bouts are you? I've got friends in Lascassis and Spring Hill.

- Kevin
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

mike_belben

I dont give out my location publically since i was dumb enough to use my real name for a SN but im "on the plateau"  

If youve got your A license you already have a pretty good idea.  Tn is an easier place to bend the rules than up north was but look at how many yankee neighbors you have now.  In time theyll make it just like up north, eventually banning your evil profiteering scheme.  You can do business, you just cant keep the fruits of your labor. Just when you finally start to break even on the decades of toil and sacrifice you endured alone.   

Id bring the mill from job to job without ever putting a single business mark on the truck.  Either i just came from milling at my family/friends house, or thats where im coming from.  Nope, no charge. just a hobby.  Im retired. 

Let them extort someone else. 
Praise The Lord

NewYankeeSawmill

LOL! Bless you Mike, you're PO'd enough to be an honorary Yankee!
I get up to Cookeville from time to time, if you'll let me chew your ear and answer some questions I'd love to buy you lunch! Drop me a PM. That Johnson Nursery center clips me for a few coins every spring...
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

mike_belben

Im from springfield mass so i guess the shoe fits.
Praise The Lord