iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Light and power Questions For a small out building.

Started by JOE.G, September 24, 2019, 05:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

Hi, I have a small 20Lx12Wx10H with an attached 10x12 Shed, It was an old chicken Coop and Run that I am turning into a storage shed and Small equipment storage. At this time I dont plan to run power out to it and i was wondering if I could put some Solar powered lights and and maybe a small charger for Battery Tenders. I dont plan to do any work out there but would like to see if I had to go out there at night to get something.
Power for a Battery tender or 2 is just a plus.

Any ideas and links to ones you recommend? How much sun do these need to charge? I only would need the lights for a few Minutes at a time I think and not on a daily basis.

Thanks for the help.
Hi, I have a small 20Lx12Wx10H with an attached 10x12 Shed, It was an old chicken Coop and Run that I am turning into a storage shed and Small equipment storage. At this time I dont plan to run power out to it and i was wondering if I could put some Solar powered lights and and maybe a small charger for Battery Tenders. I dont plan to do any work out there but would like to see if I had to go out there at night to get something.
Power for a Battery tender or 2 is just a plus.

Any ideas and links to ones you recommend? How much sun do these need to charge? I only would need the lights for a few Minutes at a time I think and not on a daily basis.

Thanks for the help.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

btulloh

It can work well for that purpose and can be a pretty simple, small system.  I set up a something very similar to that and I'm very happy with it.

My system uses an 80 watt solar panel, a 30amp charge controller, and a 35ah AGM battery.  I use it both with a small inverter to power standard LED light bulbs (120v) and also use the 12v output on the charge controller to to run some lights made from short lengths of LED strip lights.  Either way (or both) are easy and effective.  In the summer, my solar panel is almost fully shaded and it still keeps the battery fully charged for occasional use of the lights.  

You don't need battery tenders - the solar panel and the charge controller handle the whole task.

It was an effective little project with good results.  It also taught me a lot about solar power systems since a small system functions the same as a much larger system, but much lower cost.  

After doing a lot of research on batteries, I splurged on an AGM type battery because it requires less maintenance and tolerates cold weather better.

Here's a link to a site with a lot basic info on designing a system.  (There are many resources out there.) Solar System Design
HM126

btulloh

Kit system:  Amazon - Solar Kit

One caution if you plan to use an inverter:  Use a small inverter (200watts) for a small system.  A larger inverter loses efficiency in a small system and draws unnecessary current even when not powering much.  Also you probably want a switch in the inverter circuit so the inverter is not drawing power when you're not using the lights.

200 watt inverter
HM126

lxskllr

Using AC at all is the long way around, no? Seems like it would be ideal for OP to keep everything in the native DC. Less equipment costs, and fewer inefficiencies.

Ianab

Get one of these as your battery tender. 
https://www.amazon.com/SUNER-POWER-Waterproof-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B07N2PR267

Maybe a kit like this for the lights?
 https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-HKYH-Lighting-Charger-Emergency/dp/B013BBD70O?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

They reckon 8 hours of light with all 4 lamps on. 

When you need mains power for a long period of time, then things get more complicated, but to just have some lights to switch on, it needn't be over complex. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

btulloh

That second kit that Ianab referenced would be a nice turnkey solution if those lights would give you all the light you want. Everything is there and no thinking required.  

I wonder if two 2 watt bulbs and two 3 watt bulbs are enough, but you could see where you're walking. Worst case, it's returnable. 
HM126

Ianab

Daughter has a 3watt LED desk lamp. It's powered by a little 500mA DC wall-wart. I just went and checked how bright it was...

Still got purple spots in my vision  :D

It would be like wiring in 4 x 25w incandescents, and you should be able to read a book if you were sitting under one. It's not "workshop" lighting, but it's "walk around and be able to find things perfectly OK" level. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Lots of good options. Motion activated might be convenient. 
HM126

JOE.G

Ill look though the site posted as soon as I get a free min. I am just looking for a simple system that helps me get around if I am out there in the dark to find something. The shed is fairly large but its just for storage for equipment.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Thank You Sponsors!