iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Flooring Options

Started by clintnelms, July 22, 2018, 03:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintnelms

Seriously thinking about buying a KD150/L53. Is a concrete slab the only option I should consider or could I build a floor slightly above ground, say a foot or so? Also, what dimensions do you all recommend for a kiln that size?

WDH

Nyle has chamber size plans for the L53. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

I would modify the Nyle chamber plans if needed to accommodate your typical stack size.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

You could frame it out of wood.  Concrete is hard to beat.  Mine is concrete.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The issue with concrete is that it conducts heat well, so in a cooler climate than GA, use perimeter insulation to avoid wasting heat and money.  Insulation of the perimeter would save a small amount of money in GA even.  Put a vertical piece of styrofoam about 12" wide that surrounds the perimeter of the floor...the top of the insulation is even with the top of the floor and then 12" deep slot around the floor edge.  Backfill.  Hope this is clear.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

I did both.  I already had an existing concrete slab.  I laid down pressure treated 2x4's wide side flat to create a 1.5" air space, then built a joist floor on top of that and insulated with 8" of fiberglass batt insulation then a layer of 2" rigid foam insulation.  Laid down a vapor barrier then covered the floor with treated plywood.  May be overkill, but my floor is very well insulated.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clintnelms

Thanks all I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

WDH

If you want to come up and have a look at the kiln you are welcome. 

clintnelms

Quote from: WDH on July 23, 2018, 07:53:08 PM
If you want to come up and have a look at the kiln you are welcome.

Hey you are just up the road in Perry. Didn't know that. Might have to take you up on that one day.

WDH

Just a hop, skip, and a jump (old saying). 

Thank You Sponsors!