iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats Fuel Prices In Your Area?

Started by GF, July 08, 2005, 08:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Regular 87 octane is priced at $2.659 here in Russell.

Quote from: maple flats on August 30, 2015, 08:48:13 AM
I have always been puzzled as to why fuel prices always end in 9/10 of a cent. Who started that anyways? It doesn't fool anyone.

True or not, I don't know but I was told years ago that the 9/10 was added to eleviate gas station attendants from fudging with the till or with the tanks to maybe get a little free gas or a few $$$.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Here's a link to what seems to be a fairly good explanation, as it starts back to the 30's when fuel was 10 cents a gallon and the feds adding tax.

Why the 9/10 cents ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: beenthere on September 05, 2015, 04:28:31 PM
Here's a link to what seems to be a fairly good explanation, as it starts back to the 30's when fuel was 10 cents a gallon and the feds adding tax.

Why the 9/10 cents ?
Interesting, and thanks - I just lost 2 hours of my life learning a bunch of stuff today! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

wesdor

One of our news stations said gas prices were the lowest in 11 years.  I filled up today for $2.49.  When I searched back through this thread I found gas well below $2.00 / gal in late 2008.

Trying to figure how they can claim this is the lowest price in 11 years.  Any ideas from the rest of you?

fotokemist

Ron
Woodland HM126, Bobcat 863, Norwood Skidlite

Chuck White

87 octane is priced at $2.639 here in Russell, dropped another $.02 yesterday afternoon.

Still though, I wonder why the 91 octane hasn't dropped even a penny yet!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

On the Canadian border in northern Maine regular yesterday was 2.53 and diesel at 2.54.   Must be a big difference in State taxes per gallon or profiteering going on.

ST Ranch

On the Canadian border in south eastern BC/NW Montana

Eureka MT - reg gas at 2.71 and diesel at 2.67

75 miles north here in BC  [quoted in USD]  reg at 5.85 Diesel at 5.45 and farm marked diesel at 4.66.
The BC provincial tax and carbon tax is about .80 cents per gallon which is exempt for someone with farm certification.

Price fixing and government taxes - I call it "pigs at the trough", both corporate greed and a government tax grab.

Tom

LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Buckshot00

Shot up up from $2.02 to $2.19 today. >:(

Chuck White

87 octane is priced at $2.519 here in Russell, dropped 3 days ago.

Even the 91 octane has dropped I think $.11!

Jeff

Gas war in Houghton Lake. Paid 1.40 this morning?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

I think if I was you Jeff, I'd go buy a thousand gallon tank, today!

Jeff

Yea, if gas was any good after two weeks it might be something to think about.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

beenthere

There is a law in WI that won't let a gas war happen. Apparently been on the books since 1939. An attempt in 1986 to take it off the books apparently failed as it seems to be still in effect.

QuoteThe law mandates at least a 6 percent mark-up on gasoline and prohibits sales of gas below cost.

Another law won't allow more than one price change per day.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Quote from: sandhills on September 24, 2015, 01:17:10 PM
Think "Stabil" Jeff  :D

Then what would be the savings? Invest in a tank, buy enough Sta-bil, ...  lose plenty to evaporation, get tank condensation... ??

And would "Sta-bil" really protect your investment?

I suspect this gas has 10% ethanol in it, and Sta-bil would just be an added expense ($100 to put Sta-bil Storage in 1000 gal that is good for 12 months).

Edit: Just re-read this and didn't mean for it to sound so DanG negative...  just questions that come to mind.  ;)
south central Wisconsin

Chuck White

Gas wars used to really be something back when I was stationed at Abilene, TX.

I've bought gas at the time (1970-1972) for as little as $.10/gal!

Ljohnsaw

Just paid $2.47 for regular.  Prices have been sliding about 2 cents a week - woo whoo :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

BradMarks

$2.21 to $2.59 depending on location in town and owner.  I remember pumping gas in 1971. Union 76, octane of 102+ I believe (or was it 104?) for 27 cents a gal.  I think it was the most expensize gas at the time. I did like washing windows though ;D. 

LeeB

My dad had 3 Texaco stations and a Sinclair station in the late 60's. Lowest price I remember was $0.18. One of the Texaco and the Sinclair were across the street from each other and he had gas wars with himself. Texaco made him sell the Sinclair and then he lost all of them when my mom had some major hospital bills. We were living in Singapore in 68-71 so I don't know what prices were at home then.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bricklayer51

Went to hl yesterday gas was 2.19 Tuesday 2.49 yesterday.

sandhills

No worries beenthere, I was just being a smart ash about the Stabil, you did raise some points I hadn't thought of though with evaporation, and condensation.  I just use gas too much apparently, it doesn't have enough time to evaporate  :D.

wwsjr

Shell is $1.899, Murphy at WalMart is $1.87 I also saw diesel at $2.229
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

redprospector

Diesel was 2.27 Tuesday when I was "down the hill".
Gas was...I think 2.40.
Why is fuel always higher the closer you get to a refinery???
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Robert Owens

Paid $1.76 at the local grocery store. Cost is the same at Walmart here in Athens, TN.

Thank You Sponsors!