iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to buy Stihl RM chain?

Started by MNBobcat, November 06, 2018, 12:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNBobcat

I want to try a link of semi chisel Stihl chain.  None of the local dealers carry it.  I need 3/8 .050 pitch and 72 link for a 20" bar.  Anyone know where it can be had online?  Checked Baileys and Comstock and googled and not much luck finding it

lxskllr

How do you feel about a 100' loop?  :^D

Saw it for sale on ebay. Seems 3/8 isn't that popular for that chain. The premade loops I've found are .325.

Mad Professor

Any stihl dealer should be able to order some, 33 RM.

I did a ebay search: stihl 33RM. Got 101 hits.

Get the yellow RM, not the humped green chit.

thecfarm

I run that yellow chain. I use to buy it from a Johnsred dealer. He worked on my Husky. That chain really woke up my small saw.
I guess I should be looking for it from a Sthil dealer. He retired on me.  :(  I only have one loop for the small saw and 2 loops for the big saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MNBobcat

Thanks. I ordered 2 loops off of ebay

lxskllr

Quote from: thecfarm on November 06, 2018, 07:27:34 PM
I run that yellow chain. I use to buy it from a Johnsred dealer. He worked on my Husky. That chain really woke up my small saw.
I guess I should be looking for it from a Sthil dealer. He retired on me.  :(  I only have one loop for the small saw and 2 loops for the big saw.
Maybe you'd like that 100' reel I saw. The price looked pretty good to me. $249 OBO. I'm half tempted myself, but 100' is a lot to commit to never using it before.

jwade

esteadle

HolmenTree

I guess I should be looking for it from a Sthil dealer. He retired on me.  :(  I only have one loop for the small saw and 2 loops for the big saw.
thecfarm,
I got a Jonsereds 70E with a 20 year old loop of Stihl.058 35RM chain on it.
If I don't get this saw running soon I'm sticking this bar/chain on my 562XP.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ladylake

Quote from: lxskllr on November 06, 2018, 07:58:38 PM
Maybe you'd like that 100' reel I saw. The price looked pretty good to me. $249 OBO. I'm half tempted myself, but 100' is a lot to commit to never using it before.

I offered $225 and he accepted it.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

First off I should look at the numbers. Yes,it's yellow,but RSK. I don't know much about what works best. I run that on my 50cc efco,really works well for that and on my 372 husky. That chain is almost too much for that 50cc saw. I can really keep a good sharp edge better than I can with the Oregon chain. I went to the stihl dealer today and he ordered me 2 loops of the yellow,RSK,for each saw. He said he had an Oregon chain that would do the same thing. When I go back I will get a loop for the small saw and try it out. I use the small saw more than the big one. Probably the oregon chain does not cost as much. But if I don't like the way it performs,than I am not saving anything.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

I really like Stihl chain, and I think it's worth a few extra bucks per loop. Not sure about cut comparison, but the teeth seem harder to me. I think I'll be able to compare like chain between Oregon and Stihl a bit later this year. I have to look at the Oregon chain I got, but I think it's semi chisel like my new reel of Stihl chain. After awhile of cutting with the Oregon, I'll switch over to Stihl and see what my impression is. I usually wear a chain out before swapping, but it'll be interesting to compare the brands in close proximity to each other.

thecfarm

The chain I run seems to take a better edge than the oregon I use to run. That 50cc don't really like it. It kinda bogs down the saw some. I can hear it working more.When I hit something,I can bring it back quicker too. But I want to try that oregon chain the dealer has that suppose to be as good.

Thank You Sponsors!