iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HolmenTree bikesaw projects.

Started by HolmenTree, April 15, 2020, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Looks like you are enjoying the retirement life.
You worked hard for it!!
Enjoy!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Quote from: thecfarm on June 18, 2022, 06:07:12 AM
Looks like you are enjoying the retirement life.
You worked hard for it!!
Enjoy!!!!!
Thanks cfarm, 
nice thing about this retirement thing is after getting my eggs in order and then not having to worry about schedules with customers. 
All the years from the young age I started forestry work hasn't made me tired of it. Running saws and making chips will always be in my blood. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

hedgerow

Willard Glad you have your equipment sold. Enjoy your retirement. Looking forward to seeing your saw projects come to life. Take care and have a good summer. 

Crusarius

I don't know why I don;t have a subscription to this thread yet. all fixed now :) this thing is kool!!!

Spike60

Congrats Willard! 

Only going to be 6 months behind you. Going to have to follow this thread and see how you are adjusting to it all.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

teakwood

Hi Willard, so glad you could sell your equipment and do now whatever you like. you deserve retirement. Now there is no excuse to not visiting me in warm sunny Costa Rica when it's ass cold in Canada!
Ramon

Check out my new investments in the lumber business

Old Weinig foursider in Drying and Processing
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Quote from: Spike60 on June 22, 2022, 02:28:30 PM
Congrats Willard!

Only going to be 6 months behind you. Going to have to follow this thread and see how you are adjusting to it all.  :)
I'm adjusting good Bob.
Me and my family had our first bout of Covid last month, it was like a mild chest cold that lasted a week or two.
I'm still not 100% recovered but it's not slowing me down too much, just another distraction.
Less then a month before the Squamish, B.C. loggers sports competitions and it's their 65th annual. This is in the middle of the coastal old growth logging country with lots of rich history.  I've been planning this trip for close to 40 years :D
We may never repeat the 3,200 mile round trip but at least I can say that my family and I did experience it.
The northern Rocky mountains are quite spectacular traveling through.
A old Swiss logging partner of mine once told me he took his father on a trip through the Rockies on their way to the Yukon and Alaska. His father said " I thought our Alps were big these are huge".

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on June 25, 2022, 07:26:43 AM
Hi Willard, so glad you could sell your equipment and do now whatever you like. you deserve retirement. Now there is no excuse to not visiting me in warm sunny Costa Rica when it's ass cold in Canada!
Ramon

Check out my new investments in the lumber business

Old Weinig foursider in Drying and Processing
Ramon that is some major commercial grade equipment you got there! That'll do some great work for you in your tropical hardwoods.
Great business upgrade.
Yes it would be great to make a winter Costa Rica holiday trip and come visit you.
Travel industry at the moment up here is slowly recovering but with the major backlogs it's not the best year to fly , lots of problems.

HolmenTree

The time has finally come. In a couple of days myself and 14 family members are making the 3,200 mile round trip to Squamish BC for the loggers sports on the Pacific coast. 

Some of my grandkids haven't seen the Canadian Rocky mountains what a surprise they're in for.
The YZ125 bikesaw turned out very nice and I'm very happy how strong it is.
Need lots of power making 2 cuts in 22" inch Douglas fir. 
I got some 20"-22" diameter dry white spruce to run it in this afternoon. 

olcowhand

Very Cool, Willard!
Are you entered in a competition? If so, good luck.
14 family members also sounds like a great time. Keep us posted.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Spike60

First class job there Willard.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip with the family, and good luck with the competition. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

chet

I'm still hopin' ta see some chips fly  ;D   Ya did promise us a video  ASAP   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

HolmenTree

Hey fellas I made it home safely with all my family. Long drive 3500 mile drive through some of the roughest mountain terrain on the planet.
It was hot in the upper 90°'s at Squamish BC.
Great world class show doing their 65th annual.
There was a misunderstanding for me in the hotsaw rule change from the previous 140cc engine displacement limit that they had for the last 40 years or so. This was the first year for open no limit on displacement letting in the big bore 250-330cc plus.
My little YZ125 ran great well beyond my expectations. I didn't have time to put a fresh square filing to the chain so last minute before going up I put the 7/32 round file to it. Just ran out of time.
My first time in entering a competition in 30 years I stumbled the saw a bit in the first cut adapting to the down pressure in the 22" diameter Douglas fir block and didn't have alot of room underneath to start the up cut.
Came in 4th with a nice $200 prize check. 
The former Stihl Timbersports individual world champion Stirling Hart came in 2nd with his 300+cc big bore Honda. 
7th place on finishers were DQ'd from either cutting out or their saws wouldn't start.
I got to give my kids a wood cookie souvenir so everything worked out.

In the world championship tree felling event with 19 other competitors I got a DQ for not putting a step in the back cut. This was the last event.
Hope to do it all again next year.  Will have a 20 second  video to post once I figure it out.

HolmenTree

My grand daughter made a nice Instagram post about her grandpa 😎

HolmenTree

beenthere

Grand daughters are great!!  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Good for you man! I hope you had a blast! You earned that one.
 Could you explain the "no step in the backcut' issue? I never put a step in my backcut, what is that all about? Was the felling a timed, or accuracy event, or probably both as it is around here? (time, with accuracy points added or deducted.)
 I was asked to compete at a loggers field day thing about an our from here, which I took as a compliment even though I know I was 'filler'. I had to decline because of another ong time commitment, but if I were honest with myself, I would have to say I was relieved I couldn't compete because of stage fright. It takes something special to be able to perform in front of a crowd, and I can't imagine having the whole family watching. That would be mre than I could handle. Good on ya!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

JRWoodchuck

Your YZ125 competing against 250-330cc and coming in 4th is awesome! If I understood that correctly well done!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

HolmenTree

OGHorn, a backcut step is a backcut higher then the Humboldt face cut notch by about 2-4 inches.
The step helps keep the butt from kicking back when the tree hits the ground. Alot of forestry operations require their fallers to do that procedure for safety.
There's also a stake to hit for points too along with being timed.

JR yes I had to compete against much larger engine displacement saws.
I waited 38 years to enter their 140cc  hotsaw event with my 125cc saw only to be late by one year when they changed it to open unlimited displacement. I've been posting about projects and  my plans to enter my saw at Squamish BC for several years now on several forums and no one said a thing to me about the change.

olcowhand

Very Cool, Willard.
There's certainly no shame in finishing fourth in an Open Class. The biggest win is the pride and love your family is showing in what will be a memorable event for all. Congratulations.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Tacotodd

Willard that blows! It's seemingly like they changed the rules on you at the last moment, but I know that there's nothing that you do about it. Maybe next time, if there IS is a next time that you want to fool with!
Trying harder everyday.

HolmenTree

It's funny I've been posting on different forums over the last 3 years of my projects and plans to go to Squamish with their 140cc hotsaw event and not one person said anything about the change.
If I had even a 2 month prior warning I could have had the CR250R ready. :D

thecfarm

Bigger and better next year!!!
Good sawing job!!!
I've only seen them big saws a few times. I think hot saws?
Loud and fast!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

The YZ125 is getting a new 17 inch bar/chain for future smaller log competitions.

Thank You Sponsors!