iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Dried Hardwood Kindling

Started by gasman1075, December 04, 2020, 09:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman1075

I have access to kiln dried hardwood scrap from a cabinet shop / custom furniture builder. I have been taking all of it ( 2-3 pick up truck loads a month ) but have no one left to give it too. My neighbors are acting like its zucchini season here in Eastern NYS and locking there cars and sheds. My shed is full. My question is, is there a market for it ? 

Thanks for any and all input. 
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

bitternut

I would gladly take a pick-up load off your hands if upstate ny is close to western ny

bluthum

That's a fine resource, I hope it finds it's best use.

Tacotodd

That's going to be some of the best fire starter you ever find! Be a Scrooge with it until "word of mouth" kicks in, and then enjoy the spoils of war!
Trying harder everyday.

Nathan4104

I'd think bagging or bundling up that nice kindling and selling it locally would be a thing, however it seems these markets are finicky locally too.... the ole Facebook marketplace is a good place to start advertising or try 'consignment' at a local gas station/convenience store.  
There's a thread started here a few days ago about bagging kindling.
I bagged a bunch of the junk off my splitter and sold a few, I keep collecting it but I find I use it myself!  But a great was to spend hours and make 10's of dollars :)  

mike_belben

Id just load it in the stove and save my firewood pile as much as possible.  Ive run the stove on straight hardwood flooring scraps in the past.  
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

In my area you could probably sell some during camping season if bagged or bundled up. No body buying this time of the year. If I had it my Garn would be getting steady diet of it and I would be saving my fire wood. I sure wouldn't turn down free hardwood firewood. 

gasman1075

I got the last pick up truck load Monday of the outside stuff so that will be it for now. I boxed a bunch of it up and dropped off to a few older neighbors that burn wood. And the rest of the last truck load to my neighbor with the outdoor wood boiler. It takes about 2 hours to retrieve a truck load cut to length and fill the trash cans. So not worth the time I think to try and make any money with it. I'll just give as much away as I can most of it now is soft maple and cherry and most pieces 1x1x72". 

cutterboy

Quote from: gasman1075 on December 09, 2020, 12:54:39 PM
 most of it now is soft maple and cherry and most pieces 1x1x72".
Oh My, that is perfect kindling. Cut to 10-12 inches long and bagged up, you could sell it at the end of your driveway. However, doing what you do now, giving it to your older neighbors, is very kind and generous and I would never discourage you from doing that. I think that in the end the benefits you will receive from helping your neighbors will be far more than selling a few bags of kindling. Good for you!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

gasman1075

Well to any FF members near Albany or W Mass I am now stacking it in crates at my neighbors barn. There is almost too much to handle these days. So if any members are looking for some FREE kindling or hardwood plywood pieces or hardwood shorts that can be re-purposed just reach out. I am in the 12168 area code. I think the fair thing to do would be for those that get some perhaps 10% of the perceived value to FF ? I am still collecting weekly and giving it away locally and feeding the fires at my buddies small taproom since he has outdoor fireplaces on the deck

The Beer Diviner

Thanks let me know if there is any interest.

gasman1075

stavebuyer

There is a large flooring mill and two cooperages in my little of town of 6k people. They usually give the KD scraps away. I had several firewood customers who had access to the free scraps but still bought split rounds because the KD wood burned up so fast.

Tacotodd

You should try to educate them that it's only for kindling. Then there "problem" has met the needs of the day! 

Sometimes you just have to wonder what don't make any kind of sense to those kind of people.
Trying harder everyday.

Spike60

Seems like there ought to be a market for bundled kindling. If folks will pay for a bag of firewood that is only enough for one not very long fire. A bag of kindling that will start 7 or 8 of those fires might sell to the same customers.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

cutterboy

There is a market for kindling. Either in bags or bundles it will sell at the end of your driveway. I sell hardwood kindling in the fall. I have 40-50 bundles to sell each year and always sell out by the end of October. This year I'm going to sell it in bags and I have more than 100 to sell.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mike_belben

Youre a good neighbor gasman.  bon_fire
Praise The Lord

Don P

I about choked the other day :D. I was walking out of TSC and there was a stack of nicely shrink wrapped ~1x1x12" white pine kindling in .25 cu ft packs... $4.50.

Spike60

Every gas station/store around here is selling bundled wood these days. Prices are inching up to the $7-$8 range. Found one place selling kindling; about the same amount as in the bags that @cutterboy is going to sell. $9

I never paid much attention before, but it looks like some of the bundles are getting smaller too. Definitely not all the same either. Some seem to be a decent size but of them are kind of a joke really.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!