iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler HDX 360

Started by WI Fire, January 12, 2021, 06:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WI Fire

I've had a CB 6048, an E2300, and now we've downsized. 

I heat our current abode using either a Hearthstone soapstone 8030 or a 2700 Quadra- fire insert. (using either, it's still possible to get roasted)

I miss the steady state temp and outdoor versus indoor mess of my CB unit. 
Any downsides to the rather new titanium HDX 360? The abode will NOT need a larger unit.

Appreciate any input. 

Tacotodd

I'd like to respond to this but I don't know enough about it. Fear not, someone with more experience than I will be able to shortly.
Trying harder everyday.

boilerman101

The Edge HDX units are very good, with many great improvements over the old E2300 units. Operation and maintenance way easier. Will burn less wood too. Firebox is now made of 409 stainless for corrosion resistance. These units also qualify for the new 2021 26% Federal Tax Credit too, so your timing is perfect.

sublime68charger

where are you located?

I live 7 miles west of Dodgeville and just put in a HDX 760 this fall and its been good so far I have had some learning curves as I'm new to OWB heating but so far so good.

if you would want to stop by and take a look at my setup let me know?

sublime68charger

VTKubotaM6800

I'm also considering the 360 HDX. Hopefully somebody that has one will chime in with their thoughts, not much for reviews online for this smaller model. One thing I noticed is they list a bypass door for the 560 and bigger, but not for the 360. I guess smoke during reloading isn't a problem for this little guy?
M6800, Farmi JL 601 winch, Titan BX26S chipper, Pronovost P-860 snowblower, Woods 9000 backhoe, Stihl MS362C-M

E Yoder

I'm not familiar with that model but my guess it's cost savings on a base model.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

PoginyHill

I have the (slightly) older 750, which has the bypass. It is too small to be prevent smoke rolling out when the open door. Can't see how a smaller unit wouldn't need one at all. Could be a cost-saving measure...
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

sublime68charger

yep smoke out the door can happen you just need to learn to listen to your blower motor.  
If motor is blowing and if my Reaction temp is over 50% the fires burning hot and I can open door and no smoke may have flame leap out at you though. 

I open my bypass lever then 5 seconds later I crack open the door 2" wait a few seconds then open door all the way let the smoke roll out I go fill my wheel barrel full of wood then bring wheel barrow to the stove and by then smoke is all gone and I can load with out having to face the smoke.

if fire is burning hot I'll leave door shut till I get back with wheel barrow and then crack it open.

VTKubotaM6800

Headed to my dealer Saturday AM to look at and most likely take home a new HDX 360. Apparently prices are going up on all CB units April 1st so I figured I might as well grab one now. Plus, I would imagine inventory is going to take a hit once word gets out more about the tax credit.
M6800, Farmi JL 601 winch, Titan BX26S chipper, Pronovost P-860 snowblower, Woods 9000 backhoe, Stihl MS362C-M

WI Fire

Time Flies! Ended up with the 560HDX after talking with CB-   wanted some wiggle room, and the firebox on the 360 appeared very small. Have the pex in the ground, the heat exchanger in the plenum, just a few more hookups...will probably not operate a second pump line to a shed this winter, as I would prefer adding some insulation first.Also interesting to have a year seeing what it does with the house alone in terms of wood usage.  I am looking forward to this experience after hearing so many positive comments regarding efficiency.

I appreciate this forum, the many viewpoints and practical discussions.The biggest impediment to getting it done is the weather...horribly hot and now days of rain,  but here in Wisconsin, we need it.

WI Fire

So on October 31, with a wood shed finally finished, 12 feet deep, 16 wide, off the ground slatted floor and slatted walls, metal roof, the HDX 560 finally connected, it was fired up. I started 20 plus years ago with Central boiler, the last being an E-2300, which I used at a larger house from 2011 thru 2019. Too large for our present location, I sold it. The HDX 560, built in December of 2020, purchased in February 2021. (before the price increase), and finally in operation now-- is an incredible difference in operation with the stepper motors versus solenoids, easy maintenance, and efficient regulation of the gasification process.

Even with 20 years experience, there's an operational learning curve, but even with warm days and nights in the low 20's, the operation has been impressive once I adjusted the pulse mode for air, and changed the cycle drop to 10 degrees until it's colder. The ability to use the the internet connection for monitoring has been helpful. I've figured out the "coal bed saver" mode, and one can, in anticipation of loading, hit a "clean reload" option, which pauses all operation and settles the coals and reduces smoke for loading.

So far, I am impressed, and only the colder days will tell the tale.

sublime68charger

2nd year with my 760HDX and it has been my first outdoor boiler,  little bit of learning about the coal bed and keeping the air way's clean goes along way to keeping it all running smoothly.

Back in 05 to 10 I ran a Jack Line Wood boiler in my old garage that also heated the house and I only had 4-6 hour burn times before I needed to reload that stove me and the wife had different work schedules and made that work most of the time but I was the one up at 2am to reload the stove on the real cold nights.  I like only having to load the stove morning and night.

Thank You Sponsors!