iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a new generator.

Started by Patrick NC, February 20, 2021, 10:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runningalucas

Our place has a full transfer switch over to a Kubota genset.  It's nice when the lights go out, which happens yearly, and usually for a few days when it does.  It's not an automatic switch, we like the genset warming up before a load, but it's nice to be able to throw the switch, and have power to the all buildings, and the well.  Besides diesel, I think the only other generator for standby power for me would be an LP, or CNG; I get tired of having to deal with too many small gasoline engines, and gas going bad.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on February 21, 2021, 07:35:20 PM
I bought this last week, need to go get it this week. 35KW, single and three phase, 3 cyl JD diesel with 600 hours on it.

Not playing around again.

Did you get this beast home yet

Southside

Plan to go Wednesday. Calves keep showing up...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

RAYAR

I have a Homelite 3500 (3000) that will run my heat (oil furnace w/soft start blower), water pump (shallow well), fridge and freezer and some lights and computer. I run things on heavy (12g) extension cords. I put plugs on the lines to the furnace and pump, so I just unplug from the grid and plug into extension cords, isolated from the grid and no expensive power transfer switch.

Today, I just purchased an old Homelite 4000 (3600) that hasn't been run in about three years. I have yet to service it and get it running. It came in an enclosed box that opens up on both sides and the top and is built on snowmobile skis with a tow bar. This one has an 8HP B&S w/cast iron cylinder sleeve or cylinder. I figure it's about later '80's.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

firefighter ontheside

I'd love to have a big diesel generator like that, but our power has become a lot more reliable in the last 5 years.  It used to go out with every storm and would be out for 6 or 8 hours.  We have had several ice storms and a tornado that had our power out for 6-8 days.  That potential is still there.  I used to have a 7700 watt generac that did pretty well, but about 4 years ago I came across a guy selling a 17,500 generac gas generator.  I bought it for $1500 which was less than half of new and sold my old one for 500.  It does all we need.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

hedgerow

We are lucky here also. We have lived on this farm 18 years and have only loss power a couple times for a few hours. Everything in this area it under ground. One of my other farms over in another county were we lived for 20 years we would lose power for days over there winter and summer. Then updated the lines in that area and they hardly lose power now. I do have a 10,000 Watt gen just in case. A  buddy about 100 miles away loss power two summer ago for a couple weeks so I hauled it down to him and he put some hours on it then. I run it a couple times a year to make sure its ready if needed. I do have disconnect at the meter to just plug it in there and run power to the farm. 

scsmith42

Jim (Southside) came down to the Raleigh area today to pick up his new generator, and he kindly agreed to meet me for lunch.

What a cool guy!  We had lunch at Angies, a well known grill in Garner, NC, and he proceeded to regale me with stories about his farm in VA, and life with lots of critters.

After lunch I showed him the way to Duke Power's recycling center, where we both admired his new generator.  We also took the time to look over some of their other goodies for sale.

In the pic below Jim is holding some type of surplus flanged piece from a nuclear power plant. It was never installed, and get this - that darn flanged pipe (and 5 other just like it) was bought by Duke Power for something like $86,000 new - EACH  :o :o :o.  I'm not sure if it was made from titanium or stainless, but wow...

Jim, it was great to meet you today.  Thanks much for setting aside some time to meet with a fellow FF member.  I hope that your trip home went smoothly.  Best of success to you getting the generator wired up.

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Walnut Beast

Thanks for sharing. That was pretty cool you guys had some good conversation and lunch 👍

Southside

Yup, had an awesome time. Too short, great food and wonderful company. Definitely a place to eat if you are any place close. 

Did a little extra shipping after Scott left, might have gone a little crazy, bought two crates full of fire extinguishers for hardly a penny on the dollar. Still in service, complete with tags, figured where I have one hanging now I may as well have a few, and I can hang a couple in every field we farm in case of a wildfire!! The photos don't show them all but you get the idea. In my defense, the place we went to is sort of a Sam's Club for electrical stuff, it's all in bulk!!

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skip

Sure glad one didn't dis-charge on you on the way home. Had a big coal mine one go off in a chevy service van in the winter, long time ago :o >:( .Not a pleasant experience .(Post caused some flash backs :) )

aigheadish

About 3 months ago I went and picked up the 9000/7500W (I think) Predator, with similar Harbor Freight concerns. The unit appears nicer/more finished than a lot of HF stuff. I spent about $1k for it, a beefy plug to go into the wall to the breaker, and a wheel assembly to roll it around. I haven't needed it for anything yet so the verdict is still out there but it seems nice and should run most of my house, if needed.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

FairFrank

Quote from: aigheadish on March 04, 2021, 12:39:14 PM
About 3 months ago I went and picked up the 9000/7500W (I think) Predator, with similar Harbor Freight concerns. The unit appears nicer/more finished than a lot of HF stuff. I spent about $1k for it, a beefy plug to go into the wall to the breaker, and a wheel assembly to roll it around. I haven't needed it for anything yet so the verdict is still out there but it seems nice and should run most of my house, if needed.
Would you recommend it after this time? Trying to figure out what is better for my house, gas, or fuel generator, choosing from this review, probably.

sawguy21

The ultimate system is a ng (if available) or propane unit with an automatic transfer switch, if the power goes off during a storm or when nobody is home nothing to worry about. It is also the most expensive. A gas or diesel drive portable will work with a manual transfer switch but is less than convenient. @Wudman suggested a pto drive but now the tractor is tied up and needs to be frequently refueled, not ideal in a driving rain storm.
Whatever you choose have a proper transfer switch installed so that both sources CANNOT be supplying power at the same time per the NEC. You don't want to burn the house down or electrocute a lineman!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

aigheadish

I can't say for sure @FairFrank, I fire it up, as suggested in the manual, every 3 months or so to keep the fuel moving through, but I haven't plugged a thing into it yet. It does fire right up every time I've done that. I'm just following the manuals instructions, fire it up occasionally and add Stabil to beat the ethanol. 

I think, if it matters, a few days after I bought the Predator, I saw one at Menard's that I think was a better name brand for comparible money, everything is mostly Chinese nowadays anyway, I don't know if it makes a difference. I'd like to get a 220v welder and try it out with that, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards quite yet. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SETexan

We have the same 9500(surge) HF unit and after 2 years I would definitely recommend it. We lose power regularly and run it 9 days straight after a hurricane last year. I crank it once a month for 30 minutes if we don't use it that month and haven't had any issues.
HM130MAX on home built trailer
L3940 Kubota

GRANITEstateMP

Anybody have any experience with a WEN GN625i inverter generator? I have one of there 2350 suitcase inverters and it works great!  I got that because my buddy has a small WEN and gives it many "hot suppers" and the thing keeps going.  

I'm upgrading to an inverter style, and giving my Mom my old 5000watt, 6250 surge for her place.  My furnace needs the cleaner wave from the inverter style.  We usually loose power a few times a year, anything from a day to 5 days this past winter.  The generator size we have does everything we need it to, and the old one and the WEN have 240v, plugs to go to the whole house transfer switch.  

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

I pulled the trigger. I've had good luck with the little suitcase one, so I hope this one is just as good. Ordered it direct from the manufacturer, with free shipping.  I will be bringing the old genset to my Moms place. Maybe neither of us will loose power now :D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

47sawdust

I'm surprised no one mentions Onan generators.I have a 1979 Onan 7.5 jb that runs at 1800 rpm.
Super quiet,currently runs on gas but the carburetor is set up to run on LP or natural gas.
They come in many sizes both single phase and 3 phase,super reliable and relatively cheap to buy on CL or FB marketplace.

<br

>April 24, 2023 - YouTube
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

barbender

Ever since I got a suitcase Honda inverter generator, my other generator has seen a real lack of use🤷
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!