iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting firewood in the brush and thorns.

Started by cutterboy, March 24, 2021, 07:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Yes, there are trees behind that brush.

Yesterday I started cutting in the grown up pasture I was cutting in last spring. To get to this area I have to go through a field that is too wet for the tractor so the Cub Cadet had to do the job. This old pasture has grown up into a mess of multiflora,(wild rose)bittersweet vines, grape vines and other bushes. This morning I went to cut the trees behind that mass of brush in the above picture. There was a clump of six ash trees, nice sized firewood trees. It took me 20 minutes to clear the brush and thorns but I got some good firewood.

Then it was load up the dump trailer and take several trips up to the barn. I didn't load the trailer too heavy because the ground there was pretty rough.

Happy cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

SwampDonkey

Nice to have ground without pits and mounds for the lawn mower to traverse. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Yes, nice land you have there. I would have a hard time taking a picture of my grown up pastures and not showing a bunch of rocks.  :(
  I do have one place, maybe a acre, that is not all that bad for rocks and being level. But that is only about acre too. Lots of white pine that is not much good except for firewood. Very crooked and 2-3 leaders per tree. It's making more firewood every year.  :D  I do keep the ground mowed with a bush hog. Maybe someday I will get to that project, after I get the other projects done.  :D  Note the "s" after projects.   :D
I have a lot of grown up pastures. Lots of stone wall in the woods to prove it. Lots of rocks and uneven ground to work around. But that was when most of the hay was cut by hand or one horse and a short cutter bar.
There was at least 3 homes, farms, on the land that I own now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

upnut

In the racing world that's called " run what ya brung"... :D...I would think the weight distribution on the Cub Cadet would make it ideal for those conditions! Where there's a will there's a way, or in this case a zero turn...hope you have differential lock!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

KEC

I have a similar lawn tractor and wagon to haul wood to the house and it works out real well. It is usually mid-summer before it's dry enough to get out back. I cut some firewood on my neighbor's property and mow and clear trees from the trails.

cutterboy

My poor Cub Cadet. When I brought him home he thought he was just going to mow lawns in the summer and rest in the barn all winter. Was he in for a surprise! :o smiley_devil :D :D :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mike_belben

ATV tires go a long way in helping a zero turn or ride on mower in the mushy season.  I was unable to mow much of my place on turf tires.

Praise The Lord

Old saw fixer

Is that a 520H Mike?  I have a 416H and a 314-8 in active use.  Good machines.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

mike_belben

I'll have to look when im home.  Its one of those horses that calls itself a toro and only has a model number on a tiny data plate. Great machine but finally needs fixin.

Id say i got my $40 worth
Praise The Lord

Sauna freak

Makes me appreciate the frozen North.  Sure it gets 50 below in the winter, and the mosquitos, deer flies and gnats will have a turf war over your blood for the 2 months of summer, but not much grows thorns or tries to burn your skin off up here.

About the worst I have to contend with is tag alder that likes to grow sideways, and moss covered stumps and rocks that look like the 5000 clumps of moss covered moss you've just powered over until you ram them with your suspension or snag a log on one while chaining it to somewhere dry enough to handle.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Thank You Sponsors!